CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Keith Walker 06-03-2009 04:02 AM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;600766][I][B]090602 TUESDAY

Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Stationary Cycling: [/B]10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.6 miles
[B]CFRWU

[I]WOD: OHS 5 X 5
[/I][/B][I]These are my weakest lift.Period. Kept the weight light and concentrated on form.
[/I][B]Warm up:
[/B]PVC X 15
[B]Work Sets:
45# bar by 5, 5, 5, 5, 5.[/B] Poor shoulder flexibility - - I had to fight to keep the bar back in the frontal plane for the entire work-out. My shoulders were fried at the end of the workout. Felt the weight come forward (came off my heels) on rep 3 of the 2nd set and the last rep of the 4th set. Last set felt [I][B]great[/B][/I]! These were hard! Not about to add weight for a while until I am rock solid on every rep.

[I][B]Running Work.[/B] Achilles felt good enough today to try some.
[/I]Warm-up 1:00 at 3.2 MPH
Walk 1:00 minute at 4.0 MPH
[B]Jog 1:00 min at 5.0 MPH[/B]
Walk 1:00 min at 4.2 MPH
[B]Run 1:00 min at 5.5 MPH[/B]
[B]Run 1:00 min at 6.0 MPH[/B]
[B]Run 1:00 min at 7.0 MPH[/B]
[B]Run 1:00 min at [COLOR=Red]8.0 MPH[/COLOR][/B]
Walk 1:00 min at 3.5 MPH
[I]I haven't run this fast (even for one minute) since I busted up my knee over two years ago. WOO HOO![/I] :pepper::pepper:

[I][B]Note: [/B]Think I have been overtraining to some extent. Shoulders and arms are shot - - think that I overdid the hard pulling on some of my rows and definitely erred doing BPs yesterday. I was supposed to do 5 X 5s, NOT 5 X 5 X 5s........Can I say "Stupid?"[/I] [I]Pull-up numbers are also down too....
[/I][/QUOTE]

The OHS is difficult, my hat is off to you for your efforts. The shoulder flexibility is key. Keep practicing. :D
Nice job on the running workout. That was some nice work Steve!
You are the rowing king! I was looking through your log and saw all the rowing! You go! :highfive:
I hear you on the feeling tired, etc.....back off some and take a break, or ease up on the intensity. The body talks to you, you just have to listen.

Patrick Haskell 06-03-2009 04:37 AM

Great notes on the gymnastics cert. Congratulations on getting out to one. Having grown up in a family of gymnasts (myself excepted), I've worked all those skills at one time or another, but absent an organized presentation of them, I don't program them as well as I'd like. Every time I read a good account of the gym cert I find religion for a bit and work some sensible progressions. Here's hoping your notes keep me focused until Coach Sommers book comes in, and I have a chance to digest it.

Interesting note about the valsava and inversion. I've had a form of positional hypotension myself for years. However, it's been better during my CF workouts than my old BB work (after which simply laying down for situps would send the room spinning). I figured out that having my heart rate up from a metcon or ME lift really helps, but the notion of doing a valsava for inversion work makes a ton of sense. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks.

Dig the longer rows (although not the frequency, see below). The 6K has been on my list of workouts I don't want to but absolutely must do. Sounds like it was a good workout for active recovery from a gymnastics cert.

[QUOTE]Note: Think I have been overtraining to some extent. Shoulders and arms are shot - - think that I overdid the hard pulling on some of my rows and definitely erred doing BPs yesterday. I was supposed to do 5 X 5s, NOT 5 X 5 X 5s........[/QUOTE]

Good call. I was going to say the same thing - especially about the 9x5 BP workout. That rowing is a lot of extra work, too. It taxes the entire body, and keeping it up for 15-30 minutes as an adjuct to other intense training is likely to beat you down. If you want to use it as a gentle mobility thing at the end of the day, that's great, but limit yourself to 5 minutes if you're doing regular CF workouts. [I][COLOR="SeaGreen"]If you want to row for 20+ minutes, you deserve the rest of the day off. [/COLOR][/I]Otherwise, I think your workouts are looking great. Congrats on the recent running pace best.

Blair Robert Lowe 06-03-2009 05:18 AM

Thanks for the notes on Tuck's gymnastics cert. It was by Tuck, right not Roger?

It's interesting to compare them to the CF gymnastics seminars ( 1 day shots on pretty much everything- Look for the journal named Everybody's Gymnastics around Issue 35-45ish. )

Personally, I like Headstands but I tend to not teach them in my adults class because it can be a lot of pressure on the skull and neck given the size of many adults. I have also read that a lot of chiros see a lot of yogi/yoginis suffering from cervical spine problems probably due to headstands or too much volume of them.

We go pretty easy on the volume with the kids besides the surfaces being softer than most gym surfaces ( carpet over foam over sprung fiberglass boards ) or soft mats. So far, just a few complaints before they come down ( whenever they want to ) but never any C-spine trauma. However, the current routines mandate the use of a headstand.

Most of the adults that have done them in the adult class did them as a kid or gradually built up to them watching the volume and using progressions besides being on the gymnastics gym surfaces.

Dave Coughlin 06-03-2009 11:18 AM

PM received, and sent back to you:)

Stephen R. Lampl 06-03-2009 05:13 PM

[quote=Blair Robert Lowe;600814]5 DeadHangs, eh? :kicking0:[/quote]

Hi Blair,

Thanks for stopping by my log! Yeah.......four or five is about the norm, though right now, I'm lucky to get 3 good ones - - need to rest the arms/lats and work on overall pulling strength.

Stephen R. Lampl 06-03-2009 05:50 PM

[quote=Keith Walker;600828]The OHS is difficult, my hat is off to you for your efforts. The shoulder flexibility is key. Keep practicing. :D
Nice job on the running workout. That was some nice work Steve!
You are the rowing king! I was looking through your log and saw all the rowing! You go! :highfive:
I hear you on the feeling tired, etc.....back off some and take a break, or ease up on the intensity. The body talks to you, you just have to listen.[/quote]

Keith,

Thank you for your encouragement and suggestions. The OHS and Snatch are my current nemeses......I need to loosen those bungee cords which hold my shoulders together (geez, I wish it were that simple..:rofl:). The running felt great and my R/Achilles is none the worse for wear today. I can really tell that the posterior chain work endemic to CF has caused quite an improvement in my running. I think 10.0 MPH stints, albeit short ones, are not far off.

[quote=Patrick Haskell;600839]Great notes on the gymnastics cert. Congratulations on getting out to one. Having grown up in a family of gymnasts (myself excepted), I've worked all those skills at one time or another, but absent an organized presentation of them, I don't program them as well as I'd like. Every time I read a good account of the gym cert I find religion for a bit and work some sensible progressions. Here's hoping your notes keep me focused until Coach Sommers book comes in, and I have a chance to digest it.

Interesting note about the valsava and inversion. I've had a form of positional hypotension myself for years. However, it's been better during my CF workouts than my old BB work (after which simply laying down for situps would send the room spinning). I figured out that having my heart rate up from a metcon or ME lift really helps, but the notion of doing a valsava for inversion work makes a ton of sense. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks.

Dig the longer rows (although not the frequency, see below). The 6K has been on my list of workouts I don't want to but absolutely must do. Sounds like it was a good workout for active recovery from a gymnastics cert.

Good call. I was going to say the same thing - especially about the 9x5 BP workout. That rowing is a lot of extra work, too. It taxes the entire body, and keeping it up for 15-30 minutes as an adjuct to other intense training is likely to beat you down. If you want to use it as a gentle mobility thing at the end of the day, that's great, but limit yourself to 5 minutes if you're doing regular CF workouts. [I][COLOR=SeaGreen]If you want to row for 20+ minutes, you deserve the rest of the day off. [/COLOR][/I]Otherwise, I think your workouts are looking great. Congrats on the recent running pace best.[/quote]

Patrick,

Thank you for visiting my log. Apologies on this end for not stopping by yours and catching up. It's been crazy busy here with the job hunting and working on stuff around the house.

Thanks so much for the great feedback. I have never possessed decent body awareness and the cert definitely allowed me to "discover" myself in ways I have never imagined. Being inverted (what little I have done) has never bothered me, so I had a blast learning all the various progressions.

Your comment about the elevated heart rate from metcons or ME work is interesting. I never thought about it, but the positional hypotension/dizziness seems to be better for me after either, so it sounds like our experiences are similar.

I never realized that the frequency of my rowing or the intensity (didn't seem that much different than doing WODs on consecutive days) might be too much work. I did the rowing workouts primarily because I hadn't gotten in a good WOD previously on a given day.

[B][I][COLOR=SeaGreen]If you want to row for 20+ minutes, you deserve the rest of the day off.

[/COLOR][/I][/B][COLOR=SeaGreen][COLOR=Black]I hadn't thought this was applicable to an easy or moderate row.......Wouldn't that be like jogging for the same amount of time?

Lastly, thanks on the running. Feels good to run again!
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[quote=Blair Robert Lowe;600867]Thanks for the notes on Tuck's gymnastics cert. It was by Tuck, right not Roger?

It's interesting to compare them to the CF gymnastics seminars ( 1 day shots on pretty much everything- Look for the journal named Everybody's Gymnastics around Issue 35-45ish. )

Personally, I like Headstands but I tend to not teach them in my adults class because it can be a lot of pressure on the skull and neck given the size of many adults. I have also read that a lot of chiros see a lot of yogi/yoginis suffering from cervical spine problems probably due to headstands or too much volume of them.

We go pretty easy on the volume with the kids besides the surfaces being softer than most gym surfaces ( carpet over foam over sprung fiberglass boards ) or soft mats. So far, just a few complaints before they come down ( whenever they want to ) but never any C-spine trauma. However, the current routines mandate the use of a headstand.

Most of the adults that have done them in the adult class did them as a kid or gradually built up to them watching the volume and using progressions besides being on the gymnastics gym surfaces.[/quote]

Thanks, Blair. Tuck taught the cert. He is not a big fan of headstands for primarily the same reasons you cite - lots of stress on the C-spine. He rather advocates developing handstands through scalability and/or progressions to handstands through training and strengthening.

[quote=Dave Coughlin;601174]PM received, and sent back to you:)[/quote]

Thank you, Dave. Got it!

Patrick Haskell 06-04-2009 05:57 AM

[QUOTE]I never realized that the frequency of my rowing or the intensity (didn't seem that much different than doing WODs on consecutive days) might be too much work. I did the rowing workouts primarily because I hadn't gotten in a good WOD previously on a given day.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I didn't read your log carefully enough. I got the impression that some of those rows were late-day adjuncts to WODs, rather than subs for them. Rowing is a demanding activity. It makes a fine sub for a WOD, but 25-30 minutes on the rower is every bit the beast as a AMRAP 20 metcon, so doing them on a day (Tuesday) when you already went to the gym and didn't feel up to a WOD is pushing it. Pushing it can be good. The fact that you're still improving on the running means you've got the work/rest equation pretty close to balanced. Just be careful, because long rows are a lot of work, even in those instances when it doesn't leave you laying on the floor wishing you were dead. Volume can build up and make you more sucsceptible to overtraining (especially if the rest of your life is stressful - since that eats away at your recovery ability, too). Just something to consider as you plan your workouts.

Jeff R Tucker 06-04-2009 09:00 PM

[QUOTE=Blair Robert Lowe;600867]Thanks for the notes on Tuck's gymnastics cert. It was by Tuck, right not Roger?

Most of the adults that have done them in the adult class did them as a kid or gradually built up to them watching the volume and using progressions besides being on the gymnastics gym surfaces.[/QUOTE]

Blair - Tuck is the only one teaching the CF gymnastic certs as of right now... Rog is doing some seminars.

I am not a fan of headstands for cervical injuries... on adults or kids.

Carter Jee 06-04-2009 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=Jeff R Tucker;602308]Blair - Tuck is the only one teaching the CF gymnastic certs as of right now... Rog is doing some seminars.

I am not a fan of headstands for cervical injuries... on adults or kids.[/QUOTE]

besides... handstands impress the chicks more than headstands... :p

have a couple of rest days!!

carter

Blair Robert Lowe 06-05-2009 04:33 AM

HS are cooler than HeS. However, I noticed that part of the Shaolin performance tours team requirements were a 30m Headstand. So...I'm training a bit in my spare time to get up to that. I like being on my head, especially when it's not by accident.