CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Samantha Aurelio 05-29-2009 11:34 AM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

Woah, I'm behind! Great stuff here Stephen!! Nice job with the clean&jerk :) ..but... 15 minutes of rowing? why the torture????!? (great effort!! great amount of distance. that jolt of energy is the best way to row!)

Stephen R. Lampl 05-29-2009 12:39 PM

Thanks for stopping by, Sam! And of course for the encouragement!

No torture on the rowing.....still hurts, but then again, I love to row. Going for the longer times to build endurance and develope a good, constant pull and stroke rate.

Nancy Cohen 05-29-2009 02:52 PM

OMG....that row workout you did. :yikes:

Training internship is going great. I'm learning so much every day, and it's fun! I've been studying anatomy, since I have absolutely no background whatsoever in that. That's tough, and a slow road, but, I know a lot more than I did 4 weeks ago.

The studio does mainly one on one training. However, we're also working with several groups of Special Olympic athletes, and we just started with 3 groups of Corporate Wellness folks (all from the same company). These groups are pretty fun and cool to work with. Especially the Special Olympics...those athletes just light up the room!

Carter Jee 05-29-2009 04:36 PM

hi stephen!!!

you're one crazy man to want to row for 15 minutes!!! last time I did a long row (5k), it took me 25 minutes, and that was one of the worst 25 minutes ever!!!!

nancy, you're a champ for working with special olympic athletes... they totally amaze and inspire me!!!

carter

Nancy Cohen 05-29-2009 05:20 PM

[QUOTE=Carter Jee;598296]
nancy, you're a champ for working with special olympic athletes... they totally amaze and inspire me!!!

carter[/QUOTE]

Thanks Carter. I'm just lucky that the studio I'm interning with is doing this program. I was a little hesitant to get involved at first, because I can get real emotional when I see people with special needs. I'm so glad I jumped in, because it's been the greatest experience! And yes, they amaze and inspire me every week!

Stephen R. Lampl 05-29-2009 09:13 PM

[quote=Nancy Cohen;598244]OMG....that row workout you did. :yikes:

Training internship is going great. I'm learning so much every day, and it's fun! I've been studying anatomy, since I have absolutely no background whatsoever in that. That's tough, and a slow road, but, I know a lot more than I did 4 weeks ago.

The studio does mainly one on one training. However, we're also working with several groups of Special Olympic athletes, and we just started with 3 groups of Corporate Wellness folks (all from the same company). These groups are pretty fun and cool to work with. Especially the Special Olympics...those athletes just light up the room![/quote]

Nancy,

Thank you! I hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree in my quest to raise my endurance.......

It's wonderful to hear how you are doing in your new endeavor. It sounds as though you really have found your niche. So glad for you!

Great thought on hitting the anatomy books, etc. I need to do that if I'm going to really start training others in CF.......I can't believe you are getting to work with Special Olympics athletes.....How cool is that!!

[quote=Carter Jee;598296]hi stephen!!!

you're one crazy man to want to row for 15 minutes!!! last time I did a long row (5k), it took me 25 minutes, and that was one of the worst 25 minutes ever!!!!

carter[/quote]

Carter,

I can sincerely relate to "crazy" - - am there, doing/being that! These longer rows strike me kinda like doing any other cardio stuff for a longer period, except the rowing seems so much easier to monitor and correct for form deficiencies, stroke rate, effort in the pull, etc. (though I'd imagine cycling and other sports have similarities - - I'm just not so familiar with them).

Gotta agree with you - - Nancy has one cool job!

Stephen R. Lampl 05-29-2009 09:24 PM

[I][B]090529 FRIDAY[/B][/I]

[I]Still fried later in the day.....couldn't really pull it together today.

[B]A.M. "Enjoyment"
[/B][/I]Walk with daughter - - 1:00 hour / approx. 4 miles.

[I][B]P.M. "Quasi WOD" - - did this workout at home.....

Warm-up: Easy row - 500m
Arm circles
Shoulder pass-throughs
Shoulder stretches
Squat position stretches
[/B][/I][B]
5 Rounds, [U]untimed[/U] of:[/B]
25 Bicep curls X 15# Db (yeah, I know..........)
25 Tricep extensions X 30# (both arms - overhead extensions)
15 shoulder press X 15#

[B]Rowing: 30:00
[/B]Total distance rowed: [B]6, 773m[/B]
Average Pace / 500m: [B]2:22[/B] (maintained throughout) - (5K in 22:24)
Stroke Rate: [B]22 SPM[/B] average.

This was a little off my pace from last week, but felt fairly good, as fried as I was today......

Stephen R. Lampl 06-01-2009 11:29 PM

[I][B]090530 SATURDAY

REST DAY

090531 SUNDAY

[/B]"Recreational "kick back" day...[/I]
1:00 hour walk with daughter - - approx. 3.5 miles
Starting at 20:00 min. and continuing each 5:00 thereafter, stop and do (alternating):
25 push-ups
25 squats
Total = 100 push-ups, 100 squats.

[I][B]090601 MONDAY
[/B]Started out the day exhausted.........[/I]

[I][B]Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Stationary Cycling: [/B]10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.6 miles
[B]CFRWU

[I]WOD:[/I]
Bench Press 5 X 5s
[/B]Warm-up sets:
45# X 15
95# X 10
Working sets:
135# - 5 X 5
145# - 5 X 5
155# - 5 X 5
165# - 5 X 1, dropped back to 155#, 5 X 4 (fail on last rep of last set)
145# - 5 X 5, failed on last rep of last set

[B]Pull-ups:
[/B]DHPUs[B] - [/B]4, 5, 4.
Kipping practice: 4, 4, 4, 1, 2, 1 - getting more consistent - slowly......

[I]Really lacking in energy. Don't know if lack of sleep or not eating enough (or both) are the problem...

[/I]

Stephen R. Lampl 06-02-2009 09:37 PM

[I][B]090602 TUESDAY

Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Stationary Cycling: [/B]10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.6 miles
[B]CFRWU

[I]WOD: OHS 5 X 5
[/I][/B][I]These are my weakest lift.Period. Kept the weight light and concentrated on form.
[/I][B]Warm up:
[/B]PVC X 15
[B]Work Sets:
45# bar by 5, 5, 5, 5, 5.[/B] Poor shoulder flexibility - - I had to fight to keep the bar back in the frontal plane for the entire work-out. My shoulders were fried at the end of the workout. Felt the weight come forward (came off my heels) on rep 3 of the 2nd set and the last rep of the 4th set. Last set felt [I][B]great[/B][/I]! These were hard! Not about to add weight for a while until I am rock solid on every rep.

[I][B]Running Work.[/B] Achilles felt good enough today to try some.
[/I]Warm-up 1:00 at 3.2 MPH
Walk 1:00 minute at 4.0 MPH
[B]Jog 1:00 min at 5.0 MPH[/B]
Walk 1:00 min at 4.2 MPH
[B]Run 1:00 min at 5.5 MPH[/B]
[B]Run 1:00 min at 6.0 MPH[/B]
[B]Run 1:00 min at 7.0 MPH[/B]
[B]Run 1:00 min at [COLOR=Red]8.0 MPH[/COLOR][/B]
Walk 1:00 min at 3.5 MPH
[I]I haven't run this fast (even for one minute) since I busted up my knee over two years ago. WOO HOO![/I] :pepper::pepper:

[I][B]Note: [/B]Think I have been overtraining to some extent. Shoulders and arms are shot - - think that I overdid the hard pulling on some of my rows and definitely erred doing BPs yesterday. I was supposed to do 5 X 5s, NOT 5 X 5 X 5s........Can I say "Stupid?"[/I] [I]Pull-up numbers are also down too....
[/I]

Blair Robert Lowe 06-03-2009 01:00 AM

5 DeadHangs, eh? :kicking0: