CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Trent's Log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26973)

Aaron Trent 04-05-2008 03:20 PM

Re: Trent's Log

4-5-2008

Swim: 400 meters untimed

I was feeling a little tight and jittery so I went for an easy swim to loosen up. I'm not nearly as bad at swimming as I remember so maybe I'll tackle a sprint distance Triathlon this summer.
As for the jitters, tomorrow is my first real race of the year (last one was part of a training series). I'm excited and nervous, and this race is very long, 45 miles which is much longer than most Cat5 races. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. I'm not sure if I should expect a moderate pace or an erratic pace in an effort to thin out the field.

Melissa:
I'm very happy to hear of your progress in the DL and I'm glad that I was able to help you! But I've never read that CFJ article so someone else might have suggested that to you.

Aaron Trent 04-06-2008 02:18 PM

4-6-2008

Rock Hill Omnium Road Race:
I placed 19th out of about 40
Not a terrible plaing but I was dropped off the back inside the first 10 miles. That means I rode 35 lonely, chilly, windy, damp, very hilly miles back to the finish line. I could not believe how fast the pace was. I heard that it ended up being about 23mph for the lead pack (which was whittled down to 15).

I'm thinking about cutting out one of my weekly lifting days and riding 4 or 5 days a week. I'll just Squat and DL on the same day or switch out on a weekly or 3 week basis.

Grace Patenaude 04-06-2008 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=Aaron Trent;286924]4-6-2008

Rock Hill Omnium Road Race:
I placed 19th out of about 40
Not a terrible plaing but I was dropped off the back inside the first 10 miles. That means I rode 35 lonely, chilly, windy, damp, very hilly miles back to the finish line. I could not believe how fast the pace was. I heard that it ended up being about 23mph for the lead pack (which was whittled down to 15).

I'm thinking about cutting out one of my weekly lifting days and riding 4 or 5 days a week. I'll just Squat and DL on the same day or switch out on a weekly or 3 week basis.[/QUOTE]

Congrats! Still a great finish...for a very chilly "head or cross wind" and for a rigid aluminum bike! :pepper:

Melissa Urban 04-07-2008 11:12 AM

Nice riding. I have limited bike experience, but I know the few short triathlons I did, I was nowhere near a 23 mph pace. That's FAST.

I will alert you when I post more pictures of my CrossFit-related cuts, scrapes and bruises. I'm glad someone appreciates. ;)

Melissa

Aaron Trent 04-07-2008 02:48 PM

4-7-2008

Deadlift:

235lbs
4 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps
I tore my hand open on the last set.
I was supposed to do 3 sets of 5, maybe I should have rested after racing yesterday.

Aaron Trent 04-08-2008 05:40 PM

4-8-2008

Tuesday Night Training Criterium:
Format was 45 minutes plus 3 laps.
Avg Speed: 24.5
Distance: appx 21 miles
Course: 1 mile rectangle with a slight incline at turn one

I wasn't sure what to expect after getting stomped on Sunday. I am happy to report that I rode very well. I did get dropped once about 15 minutes in, but after I latched on I stayed on to the end. For this being my first crit of the season I am pleased since this is a mixed group of riders with some riding at a much higher level than myself. I think the strength training I did over the winter is really paying off in crit racing which is much shorter and at a much higher intensity than road racing. I was able to close gaps pretty well when I let them open and that should decrease in frequency as I get more comfortable riding in the pack. That's a product of being able up the watts which I think was helped by Deadlifting.

After the Crit I stopped by Blatt and did 3 sets of 12 on the reverse hyper. That machine is my absolute favorite gym machine because it makes my back feel incredible! I'm used to having a tight lower back after riding hard but a few sets and it feels just peachy.

And I need to tell Paul that I won't be going back to Carolina Crossfit until the season ends because I need to money for food and race entries. :(
I don't want to but I cannot justify the cost when I'll only be there one day a week when I can use the barbells at school.

Aaron Trent 04-09-2008 04:58 PM

4-9-2008

Active recovery by way of inline skating:
Took the big 5 wheelers out to riverfront and pushed 10 easy miles with a few moderate efforts.

Columbia's roller derby team wants me to ref their bouts.:rofl:

And I am officially a CCF member in hibernation.

Aaron Trent 04-10-2008 05:33 PM

4-10-2008

Mt. Elon Ride: 30-35 miles I guess, it's supposed to be 40-45.
Mark Merrill (Local guy who thinks he should be retiring from the european peloton:rolleyes:) decided we were going to cut the ride short.

The pace wasn't too bad, there were a few jumps. I took a pull and didn't pull off fast enough and a I guess that made someone mad, oh well.

I really would have liked the pace to have been faster. I never had the feeling of impending death by being spit off the back.

Grace Patenaude 04-11-2008 12:12 PM

Aaron,

You're avatar is very funny! :rofl: Isn't that called, underimposed? As opposed to superimposed? Just kidding.

Reading your log today made me miss all the paceline ride I used to do way back then. Great riding activity here lately. One day, you'll actually be on that stage with that jersey on.

Aaron Trent 04-11-2008 06:46 PM

Haha Grace, I'm not sure I'll ever have legs like that or win a World Champ jersey for the Kilo, I'll rip my legs off trying though.

4-11-2005
25 miles
Avg Speed: 19mph

It was not too hard but there were some efforts, rode with Marc and Francisco.

We met up with the beer ride and my total mileage for the day was:
41 miles
Avg: 17.46