CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout of the Day (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sunday's WOD... (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=10534)

Scott Parker 02-02-2003 08:50 PM

so what are we supposed to do if we can't do a muscle-up?

Robert Wolf 02-02-2003 10:21 PM

In the past 10-15 pullups and dips were prescribed for each MU. Obviously that would mean hundreds of reps of PU and dips for this day...so just go for some burly numbers. BTW- if one did the WOD as prescribed that would mean 55 MU's! I managed to get 22 total in about 30 min doing 2-3 per set. Scott you have over 22 PU and dips in you in a set, Im sure you can get a couple of MU with proper technique. Do you have the Crossfit Journal which describes the technique?
Robb

Scott Parker 02-03-2003 08:47 AM

yeah, right. it's true i can get 22 pull ups in one shot, but there's no way i can do a muscle up! i MIGHT be able to do it with some kicking (or is that what you call kipping?)

i don't have that version of the journal describing how to properly so one, and threw it into google with no luck.

when i go to the gym today i'll give it a shot.

thanks!

scott

Scott Parker 02-03-2003 12:21 PM

tried doing a muscle-up at the gym today and just couldn't do it. also, i'm not really sure how to do it properly.

Robert Wolf 02-03-2003 03:55 PM

One secret is that you MUST have a flase grip...basicly hanging on by your wrists with your hands wrapped around the rings. If you grab them from beneath like normal it is impossible to do a MU. I certianly do a kip with the movement.
Robb

Scott Parker 02-03-2003 07:18 PM

oh, crap! i don't have access to rings and i've been trying to do it on a free-standing pull-up bar.

David Werner 02-03-2003 08:17 PM

You should be able to get an acceptable MU on a pull-up bar, get your wrists on top in the false grip and kip your upper body forward as you transition to the dip portion. Doing it on the bar instead of rings is supposed to be easier. None of this should be taken to imply that I can do one yet. Let us know when you get it.
David

Scott Parker 02-04-2003 07:20 AM

thanks for making me feel like crap! :uhoh:("it's supposed to be easier on the pull-up bar!) hah! since i'm a climber, i'm thinking this is similar to something we call a mantle.

i've been trying to do it with my lower body rigid and no movement. is it acceptable to be kicking and flailing to do it?

thanks again for the advice! i'll give it a try again today!

scott

David Werner 02-04-2003 09:08 AM

LOL, I should have said "it is supposed to be SLIGHTLY easier". My understanding is that because the rings are free to move in two dimensions any kipping motion is ineffective, making the rings that much more demanding.

Watching Robb do his MUs (rings naturally) I have noticed that in addition to the false grip, his pull-up portion is fairly narrow grip - about nipple width. This seems to facilitate the transition to the dip position, because the next portion of the movement is to roll the shoulders forward and over your hands. His body is not rigid but moves in a dolphin kick fashion, it's not really a kip, more of a smooth wave thing.

I plan to flail wildly if that is what it takes.

David

Lauren Glassman 02-04-2003 03:34 PM

O.K. to clarify - many of the guys who have good m-ups started with real uglies. There is nothing wrong with the kipping, legs swimming, or whatever else helps.

It is also good to have a spotter help at first throught the transition. One technique is to give the m-up-er just a little push from underneath as he reaches the "sticky" point.

At crossfit we have a harness set up and are able to slowly pull people though the movement assisting where nessesary. I have had great success with this as a teaching tool.

BTW - the pull-up bar method is MUCH easier. Sorry Scott!