CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Brittany Warren 04-23-2009 06:18 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

What's the definition of no sugars?

That may be a ridiculous question, and if so I'm sorry. But I was curious. No candy, obviously, but fruit is okay? What else is on the verboten list? Barbeque sauce? Ketchup? Jam? That sort of thing?

Joe Bernard 04-23-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brittany Warren (Post 573564)

That may be a ridiculous question, and if so I'm sorry. But I was curious. No candy, obviously, but fruit is okay? What else is on the verboten list? Barbeque sauce? Ketchup? Jam? That sort of thing?

Fruit is fine, but nothing else. No BBQ sauce or anything like that.

Kristie Willhoit 04-23-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brittany Warren (Post 573564)

Not a ridiculous question, and I'm sure people have different ideas of what they allow in a "no sugar" diet. My definition:

Fresh fruit is fine. Dried fruit, I use for convenience/emergency but try to avoid it. No concentrated fruit sugars; they pack too high a glycemic load (I allow it on my cheat nights - i.e. there's water-filtered beet sugar in the chocolate bar I bought for my Saturday night cheat. :D I'm very excited about this bar. I think I've mentioned it 4 times in various threads since I bought it).

Avoid refined/processed sugar in any of its forms other than that. So yeah, that means no ketchup, BBQ sauce, jam, etc.

Brittany Warren 04-24-2009 05:10 AM

I figured as much. Thanks!

What about honey or agave nectar?

I guess I've been sugar-free almost a week! :-)

Samantha Aurelio 04-24-2009 05:36 AM

Agave nectar and raw honey is fine in moderation. I use it sparingly because, of course, it is straight up sugar. But it's all natural - like fruit. Fresh/frozen fruit is amazing. Dried fruit, I learned my lesson with, is too heavy on the sugar load and the carbohydrate load.
Agave nectar is always in my cabinet! Yum-o!

Samantha Aurelio 04-24-2009 05:57 AM

Random Question but .. Somehow someone moved my 30-day challenge thread to workout logs? I don't know how or why? Does anyone know how to move it back?

Harley Jennings 04-24-2009 06:03 AM

Sam,

I am sure the MODs got to it.

Kristie Willhoit 04-24-2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samantha Aurelio (Post 573773)
Agave nectar and raw honey is fine in moderation. I use it sparingly because, of course, it is straight up sugar. But it's all natural - like fruit. Fresh/frozen fruit is amazing. Dried fruit, I learned my lesson with, is too heavy on the sugar load and the carbohydrate load.
Agave nectar is always in my cabinet! Yum-o!

:yeahthat:

I'm a recovering "I just hate to waste money and throw food away" freak, so I'm struggling with tossing my huge bottle of local processed honey and turbinado sugar and replacing them with raw honey and agave nectar. I'm still trying to convince myself that putting less-than-par products in my body is a waste, but the frugal, "I don't eat it that often so it's not that big a deal" "practical" side keeps winning.

Laura Kurth 04-24-2009 07:32 AM

honey and agave have just as many calories per TBL or whatever that cane sugar does.

Dried fruit can be detrimental if you are trying to control carb/sugar grams. I have been very good lately and treating myself to one or two slices of dried pears at night, without going nuts. In the past I have had problems with dried fruits, in that I could eat about 4 servings of it (pears, apples, figs, apricots, mangoes) and then have a tummy ache. Ick.

I never get the dried fruits with sugar or preservatives, the all natural stuff tastes so darn good on its own,why add anything. Oh how I love dried fruit.

My favorite 'liquid sugar' is pure maple syrup. On pancakes of course :rofl:

Samantha Aurelio 04-24-2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Kurth (Post 573867)
honey and agave have just as many calories per TBL or whatever that cane sugar does.

Dried fruit can be detrimental if you are trying to control carb/sugar grams. I have been very good lately and treating myself to one or two slices of dried pears at night, without going nuts. In the past I have had problems with dried fruits, in that I could eat about 4 servings of it (pears, apples, figs, apricots, mangoes) and then have a tummy ache. Ick.

I never get the dried fruits with sugar or preservatives, the all natural stuff tastes so darn good on its own,why add anything. Oh how I love dried fruit.

My favorite 'liquid sugar' is pure maple syrup. On pancakes of course :rofl:

Yum - o!!!!!

(Dried papaya = amaaazing... stay away! hahaha)