CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Not Quite Getting It (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=81651)

Gwyn Antonio Patriarca 04-22-2013 04:57 PM

Not Quite Getting It

Apparently I am not quite understanding this whole crossFit thing. I thought the “workout of the day” was the workout of the day. I would walk in to the gym, do the one or two exercises, and then go grab a churro. It only took me about twenty minutes and my doctor keeps telling me to work out twenty minutes. I thought I was golden and according to you I would be stronger than a Navy SEAL in months. Now, I find out that I am supposed to be doing a warm-up, mobility work, and strength work before the workout of the day. I certainly did not see that in the advert.

Could someone please explain to me, in simple English, exactly what I am supposed to be doing for a workout. I tried reading the website and associated documentation, but I must have clicked on the “translate to Anglo-Saxon” button, because I saw a lot of words, but none of them made any sense to me.

I know that you are going to suggest that I join one of those crossFit gyms, but my motivation hangs by a thread as it is. If I am going to spend any more money, it is going to be on Haagen-Dazs.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond.

Jeff Enge 04-22-2013 05:12 PM

Re: Not Quite Getting It

This really smells of trolling, but I'll bite.

You do whatever you feel like doing. If you want to do the mainsite WOD and only that, go ahead. It all depends upon your goals. If you have specific strength/endurance/sport goals, thats not going to cut it usually. People do different variations of CF - CF football, CF endurance, the Outlaw Way for example, but theres no reason you cant do the minimum if all your looking for is overall fitness.

Fitness isnt and shouldnt ever be a HAVE to do thing.

Just remember though, 23 hours and 40 minutes of unhealthy is not going to be totally reversed by 20 minutes of healthy.

Gwyn Antonio Patriarca 04-22-2013 05:50 PM

I am not trolling. I am being quite earnest. Really more honest. I will most likely never be an earnest person.

As a pure aside, I do find it sad that in the beginners section of a workout forum any voice of dissent is immediately considered as an attack against holy canon. But, that is neither here nor there.

I represent the 90% of all Americans that are obese. I could have said that I love working out and that this is the best thing that I ever found in my life, but I would either be lying, or already in shape and therefore not posting in the beginner section.

I am not an athlete. I do not participate in organized sports, unless you consider competitive eating a sport. My general goal is to get my doctor to quite chiding me about my weight. Beyond that I do not even know what my goals should be.

I know that I can be quite snide, particularly when I am forced to discuss an area that I am lacking in. All that I can say is mea culpa, mea culpa, mea et maxima culpa.

So, could someone please tell me what type of crossfit I should be doing, and what I should be doing for a workout.

Thank you very much.

Jeff Enge 04-22-2013 06:06 PM

You are being snide, a "mea culpa" would be much more effective if you actually made an effort to not be rude (i.e. that "holy canon" comment, whether it is an "aside" or not). I'm sorry I came off the way I did, there are enough random people here who come in bashing CF and working out in general (and actually Americans in general a couple times recently) and end up banned rather quickly.

If your goal is weight loss - and actually this is what I meant about the 23:40 of unhealthy vs :20 of healthy, since you made it obvious that you like to eat unhealthy - then diet is going to be 90% of the solution. You need to be taking in less than you are burning, and it needs to be balanced. I enjoy a good bowl of ice cream at times too (actually just got done eating some myself) but you have to take that into account with what you eat the rest of the day. I can't speak to weight loss - I've been scrawny my whole life and am trying to go in the opposite direction, in addition I do CrossFit for fun and competition, I haven't had a life-changing experience and am not "drinking the kool-aid" as it were, I don't care if you get your calorie-burning kicks from CF or from riding a bike around - so you'll have to wait for somebody else to give you specifics there.

Workout-wise, the mainpage version of CF is perfectly acceptable for what you're looking for. It's actually a very good program for your average person looking for general fitness. When you see people recommending strength programs and other expanded or periodized workout routines, that's advice to people looking for specific goal - to be stronger, a better Olympic-style weightlifter, a better runner, etc. It's not necessary for everyone, and sometimes it's not really even "CrossFit." Does that make it wrong or less effective? Nope.

I guess to summarize, two points: 1. Diet is the primary driver of weight loss, and 2. If athletics isn't your passion but you still want to work out, find something you enjoy doing. That's really what's important in all this anyway, getting healthy and enjoying yourself.

Chris Girgis 04-22-2013 06:30 PM

:yeahthat: Everything he said.

And then I'll be the guy to say it...

Join a CrossFit box. At least for a while.

Find one near you and go check it out. If there are more than one in close proximity, go check them all out and pick with the one your gut tells you to.

Inquire about any Elements/Foundations/On-Ramp class they offer for those new to CrossFit. Commit at the very least to see that through so you have a better liklihood of getting decent instruction in the basics.

Jesse Martin 04-22-2013 06:35 PM

If you are really lacking in desire to change you probably won't....

But if your general goal ever does change beyond what it is, I would recommend something simple. A basic weight training program and walking or moderate cardio on alternate days. For diet, weight watchers works well for a lot of people. SImply tracking calories and eating less works well also.

If you are the at home type P90X is kind of cool. COmes complete with a training and diet plan.

Pamela Houck 04-22-2013 07:10 PM

Gwyn, I want to direct you to my blog so you can see a few examples of what I'm doing in the gym: hf amc ou rse . wor dpre ss . com (take out spaces). I too am obese. I started in the gym in January then almost immediately got very ill missing four weeks. But I have stuck with it since. It isn't easy. It isn't always fun. Sometimes it seems impossible, even majorly scaled down. But I do it four days per week (may only be three times this week, unfortunately). I go to the box because I couldn't "push play" consistently (as all BeachBody videos such as P90X, Insanity, etc say). I actually have a BeachBody coach and she's thrilled I'm doing CrossFit, feels it is just what my son and I need (she is also my son's BB coach).

Anyway, so eat healthy. We chose paleo-ish (I'm sure we're not doing it quite right). And do at least the first couple weeks at The Box just so you're on the right track.

As for a workout... Posted is the warm-up, strength WOD, WOD or Lifefit, and post-WOD. Mobility is highly suggested. As beginners, my big kids (20 and 18) and I don't usually do the strength WOD yet as we can't do full WODs many times. We are learning a few lifts sometimes. Slow and steady.... Anyway, it takes us 40 to 70 minutes (usually about 50). We are almost always one of the last people to leave (because we're slow). Once we can actually run 400m straight, do pull-ups without bands (or at least 10 straight), etc, it should go a little faster.

Anyway, you're going to have to decide you want to do it, to be healthy, to be better able to do whatever it is you want to do, whatever. It *will* work if you put it all together and work it. My progress has been amazing. I still have a long way to go; but I'm feeling like goals on what to do, where I want to be size wise, etc are not reachable.

Blair Robert Lowe 04-22-2013 09:07 PM

I love churros and I like Ice Cream but I probably don't eat it everyday, or at least not both. I am a recreational athlete though so that means I'm in the gym about 15-20hours a week but it's lifting so it's not even as much as gymnastics or CF every damn minute.

Most gyms follow a warmup, mobility, skill work, wod then finisher or stretch. Originally CF was the CFWarmup+WOD. Then it became that and adding some stretching or mobility. Then the Zone and Paleo got involved and then Whole9 and others developed.

You don't have to be part of a CF gym. Many do and like or need the support of a community. But CF started out as basically garage gyms and that's why it appealed to many.

On the one hand, you have the CF competitors who live and die CrossFit to some degree and work out multiple times a day and follow an eating plan.

Quote:

I thought I was golden and according to you I would be stronger than a Navy SEAL in months.
Guess, how SeALS are so badass? They workout A LOT and follow something of an eating plan which in the military tends to be eat enough to support activity. It's been that way since the Romans.

Gwyn, there are many aspects of CF and flavors. There are the Powerlifting and OlympicLifting StrongMan and sports athlete and crossfit competitors and UltraMan competitors or Endurance junkies besides the Jane&Joe versions. You may find that you like one or a few more modalities than others. That's ok.

Quote:

If athletics isn't your passion but you still want to work out, find something you enjoy doing. That's really what's important in all this anyway, getting healthy and enjoying yourself.

Find a part of it you enjoy. It's gotta be somewhat fun or it's just more work.

Pamela, while I understand you are concerned with burning a lot of calories and losing weight; the workouts will get easier if you are stronger. That means the brute strength and to some degree, the lifts. You still gotta burn Kcals, but getting stronger (and lighter) tends to help with CF.

Allen R Griffin 04-23-2013 01:29 AM

Hey Pam -

I too am of the obese and just recently found Crossfit thanks to my daughter. I would suggest watching "Killing the Fat Man" on youtube and maybe "Fat,Sick and Almost Dead" on the internet. These two will give you some idea of how important it is for us to eat healthy and move.;)

Mark E. Wallace 04-23-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwyn Antonio Patriarca (Post 1160094)
I thought the “workout of the day” was the workout of the day.

It is.

Quote:

I would walk in to the gym, do the one or two exercises, and then go grab a churro.
You can.

Quote:

I thought I was golden and according to you I would be stronger than a Navy SEAL in months.
Is that written somewhere?

Quote:

Now, I find out that I am supposed to be doing a warm-up,
Gasp!

Quote:

mobility work,
Gasp!

Quote:

and strength work before the workout of the day.
Totally optional. Where did you see that you're "supposed" to do it?

Quote:

I certainly did not see that in the advert.
What advert is that?

But, more to the point, are you trying to suggest that you wouldn't have started CF if you had known (gasp!!) that you're supposed to warm up and do mobility work too? Cmon.

Quote:

Could someone please explain to me, in simple English, exactly what I am supposed to be doing for a workout.
Many of us refer to these "someones" as Crossfit coaches. Every single CF gym in the U.S. has at least one.

Quote:

I tried reading the website and associated documentation, but I must have clicked on the “translate to Anglo-Saxon” button, because I saw a lot of words, but none of them made any sense to me.
That was true for me as well until I spent more time reading the forum, reading other CF sites, and (especially) walked into a CF gym and met with a coach.

If you're not going to go to a professional (i.e. a coach) for help in getting started, then you're going to have to serve yourself by learning on your own. The members of this forum are willing to -- *if you have the right attitude* -- help you a bit, but nobody is going to tell you "exactly what you should do for a workout." Coaches do that. Forum members don't. Sorry.

Quote:

I know that you are going to suggest that I join one of those crossFit gyms, but my motivation hangs by a thread as it is. If I am going to spend any more money, it is going to be on Haagen-Dazs.
I'm sorry, but that's just weak. If you can't find your own motivation, how is anyone here going to help you?

- Mark