CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Love for Crossfit and a Question - Wrist Wrap Question (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=64313)

Li Goldberg 01-15-2011 01:34 PM

Love for Crossfit and a Question - Wrist Wrap Question

So, Crossfit is awesome. As if you all didn't know. But I figured I'd say something to remind everybody. :D

I started Crossfit after I broke my foot freshman year in college (I'm a sophomore now). I can't do too much weight because my wrists and knees start to dislocate if I do, but I'm definitely not the little waif I was. I've gotten my three-mile run down to just over 17 minutes and my max weight for a deadlift is 80 lbs. I wanted to thank Crossfit and all of you awesome-possum people who made me want to be awesome, too!

As for my question, I was wondering if anyone knew of or had any recommendations for flexible wrist braces and knee braces that I could use while exercising; or would bandages and wraps be a better way to go?

James Rios 01-15-2011 09:30 PM

Re: Love for Crossfit and a Question

are you on a team? cuz a 17 min 3 mile is pretty dang fast.

if u are, just talk to your Athletic trainer, they'll hook you up for free.
and even if u arent, still talk to your skool's track AT they'll still be able to help

Simon Edmundson 01-16-2011 04:11 AM

I just bought some Titan Max RPM wrist wraps....there awsome! Great support and yet enough flex...just enough

Li Goldberg 01-16-2011 07:10 AM

James: I'm not because of my other extracurriculars, but thanks for asking. And you're saying that I should talk to the AT for the wraps, right?

Simon: I took a look at those just now. I'm a little tight on money; is it plausible to wrap the hand and wrist together and still do lifts? Can I do it with a normal ace bandage or would I be better off investing in a legit wrap? I wear weightlifting gloves, too, and I'm assuming those complicate things.

Thanks for the help, guys! :love:

Wayne Riddle 01-16-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Li Goldberg (Post 891813)
Simon: I took a look at those just now. I'm a little tight on money; is it plausible to wrap the hand and wrist together and still do lifts? Can I do it with a normal ace bandage or would I be better off investing in a legit wrap? I wear weightlifting gloves, too, and I'm assuming those complicate things.

Lose the gloves, they could make things worse for you. Go with chalk and a proper grip on the bar and you'll be okay.

Have you seen someone about why your knees and wrists "dislocate"? If you don't know why this is happening then wraps are just masking it for a short period of time and you can't work on addressing the cause.

Another possible issue is improper technique. Lifting things wrong has a nasty habit of screwing things up. Lifting correctly can fix these screw-ups.

Joshua Murphy 01-16-2011 08:46 AM

Re: Love for Crossfit and a Question - Wrist Wrap Question

Moving to Equipment - you'll get more responses there...welcome!

Li Goldberg 01-16-2011 02:54 PM

Wayne: My wrists and knees (ankles, hips) dislocate because I have loose ligaments. As a result I focus more on form than I do on the weight I'm lifting, to protect myself, but I'm starting to go a bit heavier and it doesn't seem to matter any more. I wear braces sometimes, orthodics always. I'm just looking for some added stability.

Maybe I should just wear braces more when I'm not working out.

Joshua: Thanks muchly.

James Rios 01-16-2011 04:16 PM

your AT should be able to hook you up with either a brace and/or wraps. they will also be able to properly assess what would be the best solution for your particular set of ligament problems.