CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jonathan's Crossfit progression (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50998)

Jonathan Dilgen 09-11-2009 08:47 AM

Jonathan's Crossfit progression

I'm starting this log to keep me motivated and track my Crossfit progress. I may roll it into a blog someday, but not until after I finish my PhD (which should be very soon!).

The following is a record of the last few days...

I took yesterday "off" and went for a 1.5 mile run with my housemates dogs. I'm trying to use the suggested beginners schedule of 1 on and 1 off since my first week of trying to keep up with my housemate really wrecked me.

Wednesday (090909) I did a scaled version of the WOD.
4 rounds for time:
100 ft lunges (unweighted)
30 box jumps (using an ~18" bleacher step since we don't have boxes)
20 Pull-ups (unweighted, jumping, kipping or any other way I could get myself up there)

26:22

For the first round, I have no idea how many box jumps I actually did. I had a very difficult time trying to get my toes over the step when I wasn't paying strict attention. Later rounds were fine and I did the right amount broken up in groups of ten, then 15, then 20 and 10. I actually got better at these by the end (probably because I was resting between exercises).

1st and 4th rounds of pull-ups I only did 15. I don't think I was properly warmed up even though we went running with the dogs briefly before going to the track to workout. Rested too long between I suppose. I definitely see this as my area that needs the most improvement. Most were jumping, but I made sure to really get the negative especially near the end of the set. My arms hurt the next day for sure.

Tuesday (090908) 5k

I certainly didn't warm-up properly for this...29:17! Looking at my watch, I couldn't believe my time... It was terrible! 9+ minute miles?!?!?! I wish I'd never laid eyes on a cigarette. I've been a social smoker for some time now, but I decided then and there never to touch them again.

I'll post again this afternoon after I hit "Barbara-lite".

Michael Mohammadi 09-11-2009 11:04 AM

Re: Jonathan's Crossfit progression

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Dilgen (Post 661872)
I'm starting this log to keep me motivated and track my Crossfit progress. I may roll it into a blog someday, but not until after I finish my PhD (which should be very soon!).

The following is a record of the last few days...

I took yesterday "off" and went for a 1.5 mile run with my housemates dogs. I'm trying to use the suggested beginners schedule of 1 on and 1 off since my first week of trying to keep up with my housemate really wrecked me.

Seeing as I am said "housemate", I am damn proud of you! First off, thanks for taking the dogs running! I like you using a rest day for active recovery (short jog). Nice work!

I know you're at the gym right now pounding Barbara out and I look forward to hearing how it went. I have to say, your progress in the last month since starting crossfit with me has been fantastic!

Keep up the good work!!!

Jonathan Dilgen 09-11-2009 12:55 PM

So...Barbara and I didn't get along very well.

I suck at pull-ups so I new this would be difficult. Mike was trying to get me to do all the pull-ups unassisted...broken down to groups of two if need be, no matter how long it took. I still had doubts about being able to pull that off, so I was relieved to find the Gravitron was finally delivered to the new gym. I only did four rounds, and I was still almost puking at the end.

Here my attempt at the Crossfit language...
Buy in:
5 minutes on the stationary bike
5 minutes on the treadmill

"Barbara lite-ish"
Round 1: 4:39
3 pull-ups + 7 (55 lbs assisted)
20 pushups
30 sit-ups
40 body weight squats

Round 2: 5:42
1 pull-up, 9 (55 lbs assisted)
20 push-ups (two groups of 10)
30 sit-ups (two groups of 15)
40 squats (two groups of 20)

Round: 3 9:46
10 pull-ups (55 lbs assisted)
20 push-ups (two groups of 10)
40 squats (two groups of 20)

Round: 4 This one really hurt... 13:06
2 pull-ups + 8 (40 lbs assisted) Had to make up for not getting a single unassisted last round
20 push-ups (broken down 8-8-4) Right after the first group of 8 I almost puked
40 squats (16-16-8)

By this time I felt like I was in a tunnel sounds were muted as though far away, and there was a blackness creeping in on all sides of my visual field. I new I was close to passing out so I quit. An hour later I felt much better thanks to a banana, lots of water and some endurox (BTW remind me to buy you some more of that stuff Mike).

Barbara kicked my *** and I didn't even do a fifth set! I feel pretty good physically (besides my hands, which have some nasty callouses right now) but also disappointed by my performance. I am sure I'm going to be feeling her tomorrow.

Edit: My cool down or cash out was just walking around the locker room trying to get as much of the endurox into me as possible without puking it all back up again.

Jonathan Dilgen 09-11-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Mohammadi (Post 661985)
Seeing as I am said "housemate", I am damn proud of you! First off, thanks for taking the dogs running! I like you using a rest day for active recovery (short jog). Nice work!

I know you're at the gym right now pounding Barbara out and I look forward to hearing how it went. I have to say, your progress in the last month since starting crossfit with me has been fantastic!

Keep up the good work!!!

That run yesterday wasn't all that much fun really but it did move some of the lactic acid out of my legs, which felt fine this morning. So it definitely helped things a bit.

Jonathan Dilgen 09-13-2009 11:31 AM

Took yesterday off, ate very non-paleo last night (huge gourmet dinner made by the amazing housemate Mike)...going to get my *** kicked by Diane momentarily.

Jonathan Dilgen 09-13-2009 01:30 PM

Diane wasn't as bad as I thought she would be. I did a BrandX scaled version since I know my form for dead-lifts would be lacking, and I've never done handstand push-ups for reps. I basically did the heavy "puppies" version.

15-12-9 8.03
135 lbs deadlift
Handstand push-ups (legs in a pike position) with feet on the end of the decline bench

I know my form was bad on the deadlifts and my back feels very weak and/or a bit strained. I hope I didn't do any damage. I'll find out tomorrow morning I suppose.

Jonathan Dilgen 09-14-2009 11:30 AM

My back is definitely a bit sore today, mostly from bad form on the dealifts yesterday.

Went a little crazy with the workout today.

We (Mike and I) were told no jumping rope in the new gym even though I brought my own. Supposedly an older, redone area will be open soon for activities like this. So we subbed concept 2 rowing for double-unders (500m, 400m, 300m etc...)

Warmup:
5 minutes on the bike
~2-3 minutes jumping rope 'til we got yelled at

Decided to do a semi-Crossfit warm-up while Mike was playing catchup with Diane from yesterday.
3 rounds of the following:
8 pull-ups (assisted decreasing weight though; 35, 25, 10)
8 dips (same assistance as pull-ups)
8 push-ups
16 sit-ups

Then I felt like doing more pull-ups since its my weakest exercise so far...
3 separate times I barely got one unassisted. Then Mike helped me do about 6 in a row with him assisting to the top.

Then we got into the WOD: 20m 30s
500m concept 2 rowing, 50 sit-ups
400m, 40
300m, 30
200m, 20
100m, 10

To cool down I swam some laps at a real easy pace.

Wish I had brought endurox with me today! I really think I may take tomorrow off too. We'll see how I feel in the morning.

Jonathan Dilgen 09-15-2009 10:30 PM

Took today off because my back is more than a little tender from Sunday's poorly executed deadlifts. So instead, I ran another 5K. I know, not the smartest thing to do with a strained lower back but it actually felt good to get it moving once I warmed up a bit.

5K @ 28:20 Almost a full minute better than 9/9/09! 9+ minute miles still (9:07).That's quite a difference, but it probably has a lot to do with quitting the smoking habit utterly and completely. It probably didn't hurt that I was, at one point in my life, in reasonably good shape.

The following are just some personal notes for myself; a way of keeping track of things...

Fastest measured 1 mile run - 6:06 @ 17 years old

Previous 5K time - 26:24 @ 25 years old. First run, Albany NY ran in the freezing cold...at midnight...on New Years eve...will. never. do. that. again. A 33 year old took the fastest time at 15:59 with a pace of 5:10. I don't know if I'll be there when I turn 33 but it's something to shoot for.

Jonathan Dilgen 09-17-2009 07:21 PM

I took yesterday off completely and skipped the front squats from two days ago.

Warmed up on the bike (6 minutes) and did some beginner progression pull-ups.

"Daniel" scaled down BrandX style:

Puppies:
25 Pull-ups (or progressions)
200 meter run
25-45 pound Thruster, 21 reps
400 meter run
25-45 pound Thruster, 21 reps
200 meter run
25 Pull-ups (or progressions)

Subbed 500m, 1000m, 500m rows for the running since it's hard to run a gym where the track isn't open yet.

For pull-ups I did as many as I could regular (4 in the 1st round) then tried to use something I saw in a video of a kid doing "beginner pull-ups". I don't think I did them correctly since I didn't feel like I did enough after 25. So, for the second set I did 50, 3 were regular pull-ups, about 20 were the beginner pull-ups, the rest were jumping negatives. Finished it at about 28 minutes but my housemate Mike was still going (he was Rx-ing but for the running) so I did a declining pyramid on the gravitron until he was finished. I really want to be able to do pull-ups obviously.

Jonathan Dilgen 09-18-2009 09:36 AM

Went for a short run with Mike last night. After a mile or so I started to feel like my heart was skipping a beat occasionally. So I walked for a while, and then did some short all out sprint intervals. My heart rate didn't go as high and I feel this is more akin to the type of training I want to do (i.e. for explosive power, fast-twitch muscle development and such). I felt pretty good afterward.

Today, Mike and I got to the gym relatively early and tried to do the WOD. The school gym doesn't have the necessary equipment for glut-ham sit-ups though so we used the incline sit-up bench and did a set of ten hanging leg raises between rounds. Make actually added some pull-ups too. He did 5 rounds pretty much as Rx'd and then some in 15:01, whereas I only four rounds with less reps at 15:14... I followed the puppies workout from BrandX:

15 sit-ups
10 back extensions
added 10 hanging leg raises

We both did a modified crossfit warmup including pull-ups, dips, push-ups and body weight squats, for a few rounds and cooled down in the pool once again. Now I feel exhausted...but I can't imagine how Mike feels since he had an hour long swimming lesson at 7:30 this morning with his triathlon training coach.

Good workout! But I'm beat...