CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   anyone whole30 while very active? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=69231)

Laura T. Lee 08-03-2011 04:47 PM

anyone whole30 while very active?

I wanted to start the whole30 but I am worried about dropping dairy and protein/veggie smoothies when I am so active. Any thoughts?

LL

Alex Europa 08-03-2011 04:51 PM

Re: anyone whole30 while very active?

Why, specifically, are you worried about it?

- Alex

Paulo Santos 08-03-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura T. Lee (Post 970161)
I wanted to start the whole30 but I am worried about dropping dairy and protein/veggie smoothies when I am so active. Any thoughts?

LL

Substitute milk with Unsweetened Almond Milk.

Bill M. Hesse 08-03-2011 08:35 PM

stock up on berries and yams. I was rocking the paleo way for awhile, but I chumped out and went back to some dairy, legumes, and oats until I can hit my weight. Excuses are like butt holes I know.....:(

Tricia Magrini 08-04-2011 06:40 AM

If you are worried about performance, don't skimp on carbs. Make sure you follow the PWO nutrition plan. I did W30 with a caloric/carb deficit and won't do that again next time around. My performace did suffer.

Laura T. Lee 08-04-2011 06:55 AM

I will add the sweet potatoes everyday now, I think. It is working at a calorie deficit and trying to get enough protein with protein shakes that is difficult for me.

Thanks!

Brian Michaelson 08-04-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Santos (Post 970235)
Substitute milk with Unsweetened Almond Milk.

Better yet, Whole Foods Market sells a great coconut milk that is $1.50! It's more liquidy and not pasty like most other canned coconut milk. Have a can of that a day and you're golden!

Katherine Derbyshire 08-04-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura T. Lee (Post 970392)
I will add the sweet potatoes everyday now, I think. It is working at a calorie deficit and trying to get enough protein with protein shakes that is difficult for me.

What's wrong with getting protein from meat?

Katherine

Rebecca Roth 08-04-2011 09:14 AM

I assume/*hope* she was saying she has had a problem with that in the past, but will not be having a problem with it during her whole 30... considering protein shakes aren't allowed and a caloric defecit combined with a drastic dietary change is a recipie for failure.

Tricia Magrini 08-04-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth (Post 970471)
I assume/*hope* she was saying she has had a problem with that in the past, but will not be having a problem with it during her whole 30... considering protein shakes aren't allowed and a caloric defecit combined with a drastic dietary change is a recipie for failure.

Meh, I don't agree necessarily. That's why Paleo usually is so succesful for weight loss in the beginning because people are eating in a defecit. I would not recommend severe calorie restriction obviously.

I think she was in agreement that shakes are a no-go which is why she is concerned. OP-with good planning you can definitely get the macros you need! PM me if you need some recipes or support sites!