CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68244)

Dustin Standel 07-14-2011 03:54 PM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey
 
Luke,

I had a lot to catch up on as I haven't read your log in several days...whew. You put out a lot of good info and I have to keep re-reading it to make sure I retain a nugget here and there.

But any way, I notice when reviewing your typical menu and looking at the pictures a distinct lack of traditional breakfast foods (eggs, bacon, sausage [even turkey which is a lean meat], some fruits, etc...). Your beakfast foods look remarkably similar to your lunch and dinner foods.

Maybe it is just an inability to mentally release the paradigm I grew up in, but I like eggs, fruit, and sausage for breakfast. I'm not sure I would readily break away from that type of meal in the morning (I've mostly given up the cereals, except in time crunched mornings). At the same time as I commend your commitment to your health, diet, new lifestyle, I wonder if these types of foods could be consumed in a PaleoZone diet. Could a healthy and tasty paleo zone breakfast be made up with more traditional breakfast foods?

Also, why not permit higher GI foods early in the day - i.e. the first two meals? I find a little fruit (a banana, an apple, or half an orange for example) can be very important to that initial energy in the morning. Along with a stiff cup o' joe.

Mara Rozitis 07-14-2011 05:26 PM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey
 
Hi Luke. Wow! I just took the time to catch up on your log, and I am totally excited for you! Also very much in awe of the fabulous records and research. I definitely don't have all the answers (even for myself) but I'm glad you're starting an exercise regimen. I think it's hugely important for self-confidence and the feeling of empowerment every time you get a new PR. The path you take to do that is going to be whatever works for you. I firmly believe everyone needs to do what works for them, and it's a little different for each of us. Just make sure you get adequate food intake (+ a little fruit, maybe? or tubers?) and rest and don't wear yourself down. Take it one day at a time and if you feel very tired, it's ok to skip the odd workout. I made that mistake last winter and got very, very sick. Antibiotics for weeks on end. Learned the hard way. Now I am more moderate and when my body is tired, I REST. Novel concept!

Anyhow, keep up the great work. You are an inspiration!

Luke Seubert 07-14-2011 06:06 PM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Standel (Post 960699)
Luke,
I had a lot to catch up on as I haven't read your log in several days...whew. You put out a lot of good info and I have to keep re-reading it to make sure I retain a nugget here and there.

Thank you for the compliment Dustin. Part of my purpose in keeping up with this Workout Log thread is to provide some good information. I have done a lot of research and study, and picked up some good things along the way. This is my way of sharing such info, for a very specific population that maybe doesn't get quite so much attention in the CrossFit world.

Stay tuned, as I have almost 20 other planned mini-essays and articles on the way in future weeks and months. As I start publishing my exercise workouts though, I will scale back on those essays - they will become more intermittent. Basically, I will publish my fat loss regimen data on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays, like I have been doing. And then I will publish my exercise workouts 3 On, 1 Off, etc. On the days where there is neither data nor workout, I will publish an article of some kind.

Hopefully others will continue contributing their ideas and input to this thread, making it even more informative and inspirational for those who follow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Standel (Post 960699)
But any way, I notice when reviewing your typical menu and looking at the pictures a distinct lack of traditional breakfast foods (eggs, bacon, sausage [even turkey which is a lean meat], some fruits, etc...). Your beakfast foods look remarkably similar to your lunch and dinner foods.

Maybe it is just an inability to mentally release the paradigm I grew up in, but I like eggs, fruit, and sausage for breakfast. I'm not sure I would readily break away from that type of meal in the morning (I've mostly given up the cereals, except in time crunched mornings). At the same time as I commend your commitment to your health, diet, new lifestyle, I wonder if these types of foods could be consumed in a PaleoZone diet. Could a healthy and tasty paleo zone breakfast be made up with more traditional breakfast foods?

Also, why not permit higher GI foods early in the day - i.e. the first two meals? I find a little fruit (a banana, an apple, or half an orange for example) can be very important to that initial energy in the morning. Along with a stiff cup o' joe.

Yeah, my breakfasts are not typical, that is for sure. That is sort of the way it is with the PaleoZone diet - conventional breakfast foods don't really match the food lists.

The one exception is eggs. Dr. Barry Sears doesn't like too many eggs because of their high arachidonic acid content. The Paleo diet is OK with eggs. I took a long hard look at them, and while I like eggs, I like high quality proteins even more. While eggs do have protein, you have to consume a lot of fat to get that protein, and if you go with high quality range-fed eggs, it gets expensive. So, for now, eggs are not part of my meal plan. Nor are sausage and bacon, though I like them too. I often have pork tenderloin for breakfast though, and that is a nice, tasty substitute for bacon.

As for the strict adherence to very low Glycemic Index veggies, well, I do that because I am rather carbohydrate sensitive, and going with moderately high protein and low GI carbs helps me out a lot.

Now, that said, that logic made sense when I wasn't exercising. Now that I am, I might take up your advice and kick up the carb content a bit with some fruit during my post workout meal. So I'll probably follow your advice on that one, albeit in my own unique way.

As for energy in the morning, I have been doing just great on that one. I wake up much earlier than I used to - I haven't had to wake up to an alarm for weeks. I have fine energy in the morning and get going without any need for carbs or caffeine. This is a really nice change for me. If I get a full night's sleep, i.e. if the old and sick dog doesn't wake me up during the night - poor thing :( , I can go all day just fine. If I don't get full sleep, then I get a bit drowsy in the afternoon. A quick siesta or even just half an hour of quiet, still time fixes that though. Still, I prefer to go all day non-stop if possible. That is why I'll be increasing my caloric intake, as I noted in a previous post.

Luke Seubert 07-14-2011 06:17 PM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 960736)
Hi Luke. Wow! I just took the time to catch up on your log, and I am totally excited for you! Also very much in awe of the fabulous records and research. I definitely don't have all the answers (even for myself) but I'm glad you're starting an exercise regimen. I think it's hugely important for self-confidence and the feeling of empowerment every time you get a new PR. The path you take to do that is going to be whatever works for you. I firmly believe everyone needs to do what works for them, and it's a little different for each of us. Just make sure you get adequate food intake (+ a little fruit, maybe? or tubers?) and rest and don't wear yourself down. Take it one day at a time and if you feel very tired, it's ok to skip the odd workout. I made that mistake last winter and got very, very sick. Antibiotics for weeks on end. Learned the hard way. Now I am more moderate and when my body is tired, I REST. Novel concept!

Anyhow, keep up the great work. You are an inspiration!

Hi Mara,

Thanks for following my Workout Log, and many thanks for the various compliments. I appreciate it, and it helps me keep trucking along.

As I mentioned in my reply to Dustin, I will probably be picking up the carb intake with my immediate post-workout meal. And I will be raising my overall caloric intake each day too. With the exercise, I really need more calories to support a man of my size. There will be big post about this in a few days when I talk about computations for Basal Metabolic Rate.

I will follow your advice about easing gradually into exercise lest I get sick. About six weeks ago, I went walking for two days in a row, and came down with an infection that I had dealt with last winter - a rather nasty two week affair. This time, the symptoms were far less severe, and I was back on my feet in just a few days.

However, I realized that too much exercise probably made me briefly vulnerable to infection due to too much stress on my immune system; even as my really healthy diet and fish oil helped me to fight off the infection quickly and effectively. So I backed off of walks for quite a while.

But now, I feel a lot better. My energy levels are mostly good, and I have more vitality. And I need to exercise, so I will consume more calories to keep myself strong and my immune system humming along, while still losing fat as rapidly as I reasonably can.

Jay Rhodes 07-14-2011 06:31 PM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey
 
Hey Luke!
Just had a quick look through your log. Great stuff man, I applaud you for creating change in your life.
So far, it looks like everything is moving in the right direction brother! I look forward to keeping up with your progress.

All the best,

Luke Seubert 07-15-2011 04:40 AM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey
 
WOD
More-Or-Less A Flat Mile
Time: 18:59
Average Heart Rate: 141 BPM

Comments
Today I walked this in a manner more similar than I did two years ago, when I was hitting the 20:30's with this walk. Back then, as today, I walked to the talk test. If you can say, "Mary had a little lamb", and then you have to inhale, that is a pretty reliable test for good aerobic pace for most people. If you can't say the phrase, you are going too fast. If you can say more of the poem without inhaling, you are going too slowly.

Today, I hit 18:59, which is a new PR for me by over 7%. Unlike past years, I did this not after 10 weeks of aerobic exercise but crappy diet, but after 10 weeks of really healthy diet and fish oil with very little exercise.

Truly, when the CrossFit people say over and over and over that nutrition is the foundation upon which performance is built, they are absolutely correct.

Luke Seubert 07-15-2011 04:42 AM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes (Post 960758)
Hey Luke!
Just had a quick look through your log. Great stuff man, I applaud you for creating change in your life.
So far, it looks like everything is moving in the right direction brother! I look forward to keeping up with your progress.

All the best,

Many thanks for your compliments and encouragement, Jay. I very much appreciate it.

Luke Seubert 07-15-2011 04:58 AM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey
 
Yeeeehaaawwwww!!! The 10% Milestone Day Is Here!
Today, my Bodyweight Trend dropped below 383 pounds. I began this odyssey at 425.6 pounds on May 4, 2011. Subtracting 10% works out to 383.04 pounds, and today my Bodyweight Trend hit 382.9 - just below.

According to health experts (WFS), for severely or morbidly obese people, losing 10% of their bodyweight is an important milestone. The health benefits are substantial, and include lower blood pressure, less diabetes, better blood chemistry, and a whole lot more. Many good things happen inside the body. This, in addition to losing a lot of weight and getting off to a good start on a fat loss regimen.

So, today I celebrate my 10% Milestone Day. I am proud and happy about this one, but also determined to keep on grinding on. 20% Milestone Day is coming up around around the bend :-)

Luke Seubert 07-15-2011 05:29 AM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Seubert (Post 960895)
WOD
More-Or-Less A Flat Mile
Time: 18:59
Average Heart Rate: 141 BPM

Correction:
Average Heart Rate: 146 BPM

Arturo Garcia 07-15-2011 10:21 AM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey
 
Sure Luke I'll share my thoughts.

First of all, congratulations on losing 10% of your weight. So far so good. I will mention just for kicks that I would never recommend to someone losing fat to be measuring themselves DAILY, but if you're absolutely confident that this will not mess you up psychologically (get anxious if one day you weigh more, etc.), then keep doing it. But please be careful and aware that some days weight fluctuates.... just don't stress over these daily numbers you're monitoring so closely. By the end of this year you'll look back and laugh at them.

Luke it seems you really like the CF methodology and have a big desire of doing the 3on/1off schedule, but be aware that it's not the ONLY schedule that works. In fact, most people with a job and a life can't follow this because you'd be working out different days every weak. Which means one week you could workout a sunday but not the next one, etc. What many people do is adpt a 3on/1off, 2on/1off, for example, and this allows you to train the same days every weak and plan yourself better. Just throwing this out there. CFSB, which you mentioned you're interested in doing (eventually), has you working out the same days every week, for example. Just don't think that there's some hidden "magic" to the 3on/1off, wanted to clear that up. You could see great results with 3, 4 or 5 workouts a week.

So lets take a look at your plans as of now.

Day 1 - Starting Strength Routine A
Day 2 - Walking and Variations
Day 3 - Air Squats and/or Wallball
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - Starting Strength Routine B
Day 6 - Walking and Variations
Day 7 - Air Squats and/or Wallball
Day 8 - Rest

Doing SS twice a week sounds great. But let me ask you something since you're eager to do wallballs and tabata air squats. Are you aware that the air squat mechanics are a bit different than the back squat mechanics (which you'll be doing 2x/week in the SS sessions) and could make things a bit difficult? I just want to make sure you know this. A ton of wall balls, while fatigued, might have you using poor form. I'm not telling you what to do, just informing you of this, so you can research. The barbell back squat is the foundation of SS, so anything that could mess up it's form, specially since you're just learning the proper mechanics now.... maybe it's not the best idea.

Seeing you're still 380#, I was thinking that one of the safest, with least injury risk ways of working out a GREAT conditioning workouts, would be a stationary bike. Do you have access to one? And did you know that the original experiment by Dr. Tabata used this implement? ... Yes, I'm not suggesting a long and boring steady 1 hour ride. A Tabata on this piece of equipment is brutal... 20 secs of pedaling as fast/hard as you can (selecting whatever resistance level you're comfortable with), 10 secs of rest.... This, right now, would be a much better idea than tabata air squats that could interfere with your barbell back squats. Also less chance of injury. And you can go really hard (hard for YOU) since you can adjust resistance. I would start with this tabata if I were you. The bike hasthe added benefit that during those 10 seconds of rest, you rest SEATED, which in your case might be even better. It's a brutal workout, though, don't understimate it. I would suggest doing Wall balls with GOOD FORM, so I wouldn't go crazy high-rep or using them in metcons just yet. But this is just a suggestion. If you want to feel like you're "doing CrossFit" and you feel you must do your Wallballs for this - by all means do them. But focus on good form and don't go really high rep. Read up on all the cues for this movement, weight on heels, knees out, don't round low back, chest up, etc... film yourself (or use a good coach) and focus on form. Right now for you learning proper squatting form is way more important than getting "the metcon effect" if you know what I mean.

As for the walks, even if they feel hard for you right now, they'll feel easier each week, and as long as you're WALKING it wont interfere with SS workouts. Eventually when you can sprint some bits, you could do it, but be aware that sprinting could indeed interfer with your recovery needed for SS, if you over do it (sprinting is AWESOME by the way). But walking is fine and perfect for "rest days" and I suposse you're still going to just walk for the time being as you drop some more weight.

And yes, as you strength train you'll get more hungry but just keep it Paleo and don't worry, I don't think your weightloss will stall just yet! :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.