CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68244)

Luke Seubert 08-03-2011 03:59 AM

Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey

Wednesday Weekly Trend and Bodyweight Update
Date: August 3, 2011
Today is the end of Week 13 of my fat loss regimen.

Last Week's Bodyweight Trend: 378.3 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight Trend: 375.2 lbs
Last Week's Bodyweight: 374.8 lbs
This Week's Bodyweight: 370.6 lbs
Beginning Date for Bodyweight Measurements - May 4, 2011 - Bodyweight: 425.6 lbs
Total Bodyweight Trend Lost to Date: 50.4 lbs
Total Bodyweight Lost to Date: 55.0 lbs

Comments
All in all, this was a very good week. I stuck to the diet regimen quite well, and got in a decent amount of exercise. As a result, my weight loss rate picked up a little bit this week, and is now roughly where I want it to be. Moreover, my BFC readings are dropping nicely once again, so that confirms my progress as well.

Schedule permitting, over the next week or so, I will formalize my current diet regimen, and post some information about it. I am still PaleoZoning, with highly modified PCF ratios, and weighing and measuring all my foods. I have just added more calories. I will also be adding a bit of moderately low Glycemic Index fruit to my diet, as part of my post workout meals. More on all of that by and by.

Meanwhile, I am making good progress, at just about the rate I want, and things are going well.

Bodyweight and Trend for the Past Week
The Trend listed below is an exponential moving average with 10% smoothing. It tends to overstate current bodyweight as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic bodyweight readings and shows the actual bodyweight loss rate over time. An explanation of the "Trend" calculation's utility may be found in my previous post, "Turning Bodyweight Into A Semi-Useful Metric" (WFS).

______Date________Bodyweight_________Trend
Wed, Jul 27, 2011_______374.8 lbs_______378.3 lbs
Thu, Jul 28, 2011_______373.2 lbs_______377.8 lbs
Fri, Jul 29, 2011_______374.4 lbs_______377.5 lbs
Sat, Jul 30, 2011_______373.8 lbs_______377.1 lbs
Sun, Jul 31, 2011_______373.2 lbs_______376.7 lbs
Mon, Aug 1, 2011_______370.6 lbs_______376.1 lbs
Tue, Aug 2, 2011_______372.0 lbs_______375.7 lbs
Wed, Aug 3, 2011_______370.6 lbs_______375.2 lbs

Luke Seubert 08-03-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 969613)
Keep up the awesome work, Luke! And a PR is a PR, no matter how long you've been doing it. I still get them very regularly and every one is a victory!

Thanks Mara. Yeah, I am still chugging along pretty well. I take it day by day, which you have to do for long term projects like this.

This is one of the reasons why I track my bodyweight daily, and pay such close attention to that Bodyweight Trend moving average. So long as you are doing your job, the Trend moves down a little bit every single day. Some days more, some days less, but it moves down every day, no matter what the bodyweight is doing. Bodyweight Trend provides me with continuous feedback and positive reinforcement, and provides a daily incentive to stick with the program.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 969613)
Since you ask, here's a picture of what one year of CrossFit and mostly Paleo has done for me. I didn't want to take over your log :). I have a friend who did the video thingie for me. I have no idea how. Link is WFS. http://members.shaw.ca/singlemanwpg/front.swf

That is pretty good, steady progress. Well done! Would you say that you have added muscle in your legs and shoulders? It seems that way from the video.

I see what you were talking about in your earlier post, about the waist. Most women store excess fat in the hips, butt, and legs; as compared to most men who store it in the belly. There are exceptions, and you look to be one of them.

Gary Taubes talks about fat storage exceptions like these, along with others, such as lipodystrophy; in a talk he gave about why we get fat, and why the prevailing scientific hypothesis on this topic is deeply flawed. He uses these exceptions as counter-examples to disprove the "energy in = energy out" theory, which explains obesity as a behavorial problem, or "sin" problem - the sins being sloth and gluttony. Turns out, that is a huge pile of bovine scatology, and poor science as well. Anyway, below is the link to the first of 10 videos, should you care to watch this. It is very interesting stuff, from a lecture he gave at UC Berkeley. Taubes does a great job of contradicting the prevailing conventional wisdom in nutrition, and opens up the door to some real science being done in the field. I do have one quibble with Taubes though - he goes too far to the meat and fat, Atkins diet end of the spectrum for my tastes. Humans are omnivores, and we need the nutrients from plants in order to thrive. I prefer a bit more balance between plant and animal sourced foods than he advocates. (And yeah, that is coming from somebody who is on a low but not extremely low, carb diet.) But, that is my only quibble. The vast majority of the material in his two books on nutrition and obesity I find quite compelling. Good stuff.

Luke Seubert 08-03-2011 06:32 AM

WOD

WOD cancelled. Must take care of sick dog.

Mara Rozitis 08-04-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Seubert (Post 969811)
That is pretty good, steady progress. Well done! Would you say that you have added muscle in your legs and shoulders? It seems that way from the video.

I see what you were talking about in your earlier post, about the waist. Most women store excess fat in the hips, butt, and legs; as compared to most men who store it in the belly. There are exceptions, and you look to be one of them.

Thanks, Luke. I just realized that the "before" picture is actually from October, not May, so it's only about 6 months, not one year. The one from May is quite a bit more obvious. I will post them if I can ever get my scanner to work. Yes, I have most definitely put on muscle noticeably in my shoulders, legs and butt. I would say everywhere, including unexpected places like my forearms, but I am most happy with the differences in my shoulders and butt. My legs have always been pretty great but there has been an improvement there too.

Yeah, I am an exception when it comes to fat distribution. I did check out that video, as I check out most of the cool links you post if I have time. Both interesting and a little scary. I am grateful I am on a better track now. One day I will buy Taubes' GCBC. I think it'll be worthwhile. Just bought Robb Wolf's book.

Hope your pooch is feeling better!

Luke Seubert 08-05-2011 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 970736)
Thanks, Luke. I just realized that the "before" picture is actually from October, not May, so it's only about 6 months, not one year. The one from May is quite a bit more obvious. I will post them if I can ever get my scanner to work. Yes, I have most definitely put on muscle noticeably in my shoulders, legs and butt. I would say everywhere, including unexpected places like my forearms, but I am most happy with the differences in my shoulders and butt. My legs have always been pretty great but there has been an improvement there too.

Forearms... interesting. You'll need to get a Popeye tattoo :p

Adding muscle is a good thing though. And it is a very good thing for women, as it leads to all sorts of health benefits. Wolf explains some of this in his book.

By the way, I noticed in one of your other posts that you have tried sharing the health benefits you have enjoyed through Paleo and CrossFit with work colleagues and the like. And that you got a rather disinterested response. In my experience, family does not provide much support. (Of course, that is partly my family, which is a bit screwed up.) But you will also find that acquaintances, casual friends, and colleagues kind of don't care. This is pretty typical.

Most people don't want to hear about your terrific and wonderful diet. And they won't really acknowledge the progress you have already made - why should they listen to you, you're still that "thick chick". I know this is harsh, but this is the way people are. Also, some people react negatively when someone they know undertakes a hard and serious program of self-improvement. There can be reactions of petty jealousy, spite, or meanspiritedness. Most of the time it is indifference and apathy, but sometimes it can be a bit nasty. That is just the way some people are.

Your best choice is the one you have already made. Surround yourself with other people who are actively pursuing similar lifestyle goals - excellent nutrition and fitness. They will be your most reliable support network, because they have experienced the same indifference of others that you have, and they are facing the same challenges and obstacles that you have. And they have also overcome those obstacles, just as you have - so you all have a shared bond, a bond that is deep and strong. That is why the CrossFit community works so well - everybody is struggling to meet similar goals, and their fellow CrossFitters understand their struggles and appreciate them far more than friends, family, and colleagues do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 970736)
Yeah, I am an exception when it comes to fat distribution. I did check out that video, as I check out most of the cool links you post if I have time. Both interesting and a little scary. I am grateful I am on a better track now. One day I will buy Taubes' GCBC. I think it'll be worthwhile. Just bought Robb Wolf's book.

Wolf's book is very good. I am re-reading it now to sift through and pick up little tidbits. One thing I plan to do is consistently work out in a fasted state, early in the morning. Wolf explained that this is very good for fat loss.

That Taubes' lecture is quite and eye opener. He challenges a lot of conventional wisdom, and breaks the standard hypothesis on why obesity happens with a slew of powerful counter-examples. It all really does come down to genetics for most people, which are expressed when they eat the wrong kinds of foods, and a bit too much of those wrong kinds of foods. Going Paleo and reducing the calories enough to lose fat but to not feel hunger, readily solves the problem. Well, at least for me it does.

Luke Seubert 08-05-2011 06:39 AM

WOD
  • Date: August 5, 2011
  • Name: Medicine Ball Day
    • Warmup - 8 minute walk
    • Stretch - Dynamic Stretching Routine (See below)
    • Solo Medicine Ball Medley (WFS) - 8 1/2 pound ball - grassy slope
  • Time: DNF (MBM for about 10 minutes - 1st four exercises)
  • Heart Rate: n/a
Conditions
  • Temperature: 75 F
  • Humidity: 84%
  • Heat Index: 75 F
Comments
This was my first day working with my new, homemade medicine ball. Following DIY instructions found in the CrossFit Equipment Forum, I got a used basketball and filled it up, sealed it, and made myself a fine medicine ball. Since I am scaling my workouts right now, I filled it with flour instead of sand. As a result, it weighs 8 1/2 pounds instead of 20+ pounds like the sand filled balls do. Don't worry, I have plenty more basketballs and plenty of sand to make heavier med balls when the time is right.

I did some searching on the Dynamax medicine ball website, and found a great PDF file with solo medicine ball exercises (WFS). It features a variety of throws and exercises. I do mine on a grassy slope in the front yard, though I may switch to flat areas, or a gravel slope, just to vary things up.

I didn't get too far in my workout though. I wanted to do 10 reps for each of the 14 exercises. I got through the first four exercises, but was pretty gassed by then. Since I would like to do a greater variety of exercises, next time I will start with 6 reps per exercise, and tough it out a bit more. Like the walking, this is an exercise routine that I will scale up and build up as I get more fit.

That said, tossing the medicine ball was fun, and a good change from walking. It definitely worked out some muscles I don't work very hard during walks, even on steep hills. I can already feel some soreness in my upper abs, and I will be taking some ibuprofen just as a precaution to ward off additional muscle soreness. It will be interesting to see if I get any DOMS or not.

Dynamic Stretching Routine
  • Marching Arms with Neck Rolls
  • Arm Hugs
  • Shoulder Rolls
  • Windmills
  • Torso Twists
  • Lateral Torso Stretches
  • Bent Knees Ankle Touches
  • Hip Wangers
  • Leg Swings
  • Leg Side Swipes
  • Knee Pumps
  • Swedish Twists
  • Hurdler's Drill
  • Quadriceps Stretch
  • Calf Stretch
  • Hamstring Stretch
  • Full Body Stretch

Mara Rozitis 08-05-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Seubert (Post 970890)
Forearms... interesting. You'll need to get a Popeye tattoo :p

Adding muscle is a good thing though. And it is a very good thing for women, as it leads to all sorts of health benefits. Wolf explains some of this in his book.

By the way, I noticed in one of your other posts that you have tried sharing the health benefits you have enjoyed through Paleo and CrossFit with work colleagues and the like. And that you got a rather disinterested response. In my experience, family does not provide much support. (Of course, that is partly my family, which is a bit screwed up.) But you will also find that acquaintances, casual friends, and colleagues kind of don't care. This is pretty typical.

Most people don't want to hear about your terrific and wonderful diet. And they won't really acknowledge the progress you have already made - why should they listen to you, you're still that "thick chick". I know this is harsh, but this is the way people are. Also, some people react negatively when someone they know undertakes a hard and serious program of self-improvement. There can be reactions of petty jealousy, spite, or meanspiritedness. Most of the time it is indifference and apathy, but sometimes it can be a bit nasty. That is just the way some people are.

Your best choice is the one you have already made. Surround yourself with other people who are actively pursuing similar lifestyle goals - excellent nutrition and fitness. They will be your most reliable support network, because they have experienced the same indifference of others that you have, and they are facing the same challenges and obstacles that you have. And they have also overcome those obstacles, just as you have - so you all have a shared bond, a bond that is deep and strong. That is why the CrossFit community works so well - everybody is struggling to meet similar goals, and their fellow CrossFitters understand their struggles and appreciate them far more than friends, family, and colleagues do.

Wolf's book is very good. I am re-reading it now to sift through and pick up little tidbits. One thing I plan to do is consistently work out in a fasted state, early in the morning. Wolf explained that this is very good for fat loss.

Just what I needed to hear at the moment. I have been working a crazy number of hours, my house is a mess, I still have 3 more 10-12 hour days before I get a day off, and the last thing I feel like doing is cooking something healthy, but dammit now I am going to because you just made me happy. And I'm NOT going to do the 17 Day Diet because I'm frustated with my current weight. NOT!

I don't ever try to push my lifestyle or beliefs on others. It's just that if they ask what I'm doing differently or if they complain about health problems that I was able to solve through diet, I try to explain just a small portion of the diet. CrossFit would lead them to believe I'm totally nuts, so I save that for my really close friends. They already know I'm nuts. It's pretty amazing how resistant to change people are, even if they are suffering. I am shocked at how many gluten free products my celiac friends and relatives eat. I just want to scream, "Your body is trying to tell you something!!!! Humans were not designed to eat all the processed crap you're eating! Maybe you could try just, you know, NOT EATING muffins and cake and Yorkshire pudding for a while and see how it feels?!?!" But I don't. I feel better for having typed it here, though. Hee hee. End of rant.

Luke Seubert 08-06-2011 04:20 AM

Saturday Weekly Body Measurements Update
Date: August 6, 2011

Last Week's Total Body Measurement: 956.0 cm
This Week's Total Body Measurement: 951.0 cm
Beginning Date for Body Measurements - May 14, 2011 - Total Body Measurements: 1009.5
Total Centimeters Lost to Date: 58.5 cm

Comments
I am back to making good progress again. A 5.0 cm loss for the week, while not great, is not bad either. My BFC and Bodyweight Trend are all in accord with the Tape Measure, so it looks like I am back to losing mostly fat, and losing just a little muscle, if any. Exercise and slightly more calories have helped.

The longer I consume Paleo foods, the easier it becomes to stick exclusively with Paleo foods. I don't know exactly why my brain is rewiring itself this way, but I do like the thinking.

Body Measurements for Last Week and This Week
An explanation about "Total Body Measurements" and how I use body measurements to assess fat loss over time may be found in my previous post, "The Humble Tape Measure: Simple But Oh So Useful" (WFS).

Right Thigh: 67.5 cm, 68.0 cm
Right Calf: 52.0 cm, 50.5 cm
Right Ankle: 28.5 cm, 28.0 cm

Left Thigh: 69.5 cm, 70.5 cm
Left Calf: 52.5 cm, 52.5 cm
Left Ankle: 29.0 cm, 29.0 cm

Right Arm: 40.0 cm, 39.5 cm
Right Forearm: 34.0 cm, 34.0 cm
Right Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Left Arm: 43.5 cm, 42.5 cm
Left Forearm: 34.5 cm, 34.0 cm
Left Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Neck: 44.5 cm, 44.5 cm
Chest: 140.0 cm, 140.0 cm
Waist: 155.0 cm, 153.0 cm
Hips: 125.5 cm, 125.0 cm

Luke Seubert 08-06-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 971229)
Just what I needed to hear at the moment. I have been working a crazy number of hours, my house is a mess, I still have 3 more 10-12 hour days before I get a day off, and the last thing I feel like doing is cooking something healthy, but dammit now I am going to because you just made me happy. And I'm NOT going to do the 17 Day Diet because I'm frustated with my current weight. NOT!

I'm glad my words were a positive motivation for you. Just out of curiosity, what is this reference to the 17 Day Diet all about, which I can not exactly tell if you are doing or not doing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis (Post 971229)
I don't ever try to push my lifestyle or beliefs on others. It's just that if they ask what I'm doing differently or if they complain about health problems that I was able to solve through diet, I try to explain just a small portion of the diet. CrossFit would lead them to believe I'm totally nuts, so I save that for my really close friends. They already know I'm nuts. It's pretty amazing how resistant to change people are, even if they are suffering. I am shocked at how many gluten free products my celiac friends and relatives eat. I just want to scream, "Your body is trying to tell you something!!!! Humans were not designed to eat all the processed crap you're eating! Maybe you could try just, you know, NOT EATING muffins and cake and Yorkshire pudding for a while and see how it feels?!?!" But I don't. I feel better for having typed it here, though. Hee hee. End of rant.

People are resistant to change because change is scary, and people won't do it until circumstance force them into it. Well, that is usually the case. Most times, somebody has to hit rock bottom in some way, do some deep introspection, and make a hard, quality decision to change. Then, and only then, do people change things. Otherwise, we all just mostly stumble through our day.

Here, this cartoon will give us all a good perspective on all of this - Abstruse Goose: ancestors (WFS).

Luke Seubert 08-07-2011 05:46 AM

WOD - Medicine Ball Fun Day

Date: August 7, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 77 F
  • Humidity: 93%
  • Heat Index: 78 F

Comments
Today was the first day of my new CrossFit 3-On, 1-Off cycle. I have different plans for this cycle, which hopefully I will have enough stamina for. Just like today was, tomorrow and Tuesday will be tougher than just the usual walk. All of my exercise routines will really work out my body core, along with a lot of other muscles. Taken all together, these movements are whole body, functional exercises, with a lot of variety. This keeps it challenging and interesting, and sort of fits in with the CrossFit philosophy. All the body core work will help me prepare for Starting Strength weightlifting which I will begin when the time is right in the coming months.

Speaking of walks, today I did the 0.9 mile hilly walk, but as a warmup this time, not as the main exercise. So I wasn't going for a PR, but I did OK at 18:35. My previous time was 17:45. The hilly walk is an excellent warmup, as it is relatively brief, with some challenging slopes which get the heart pumping hard.

I got more than halfway through my Solo Medicine Ball Medley this time, working all the way through Trunk Rotations. The two that really thumped me included the Ancient Log Throw, which I also catch. This one has a fast repeat cycle, and the speed of that cycle is what got to me. Also, the Trunk Extend and Flex, where you throw the medicine ball uphill between your legs, also hit me pretty hard. That one is really a whole body exercise.

Anyway, my current goal is to complete the entire workout - all 14 exercises. After that, I might start counting repetitions or something like that - I'm not sure yet.

Yo, Arturo!
If I make through tomorrow's workout intact and I'm able to go on Tuesday, check out the Tuesday Workout - I think you'll like it. It is very different :)

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles
  • Time: 18:35
  • Heart Rate: 125 BPM

Stretch - Mostly Dynamic Stretching Routine
  1. Marching Arms with Neck Rolls
  2. Arm Hugs
  3. Shoulder Rolls
  4. Windmills
  5. Torso Twists
  6. Lateral Torso Stretches
  7. Bent Knees Ankle Touches
  8. Hip Wangers
  9. Leg Swings
  10. Leg Side Swipes
  11. Knee Pumps
  12. Swedish Twists
  13. Hurdler's Drill
  14. Quadriceps Stretch
  15. Calf Stretch
  16. Hamstring Stretch
  17. Full Body Stretch

SMBM - Solo Medicine Ball Medley (WFS)
1 minute per exercise - AMRAP. 8 1/2 pound ball. Grassy slope.
  1. Standing Two-Arm Overhead Throw
  2. Two-Arm Overhead Throw with Shoulder Rotation - Alternating
  3. Ancient "Stone" Throw
  4. Ancient "Hammer" Throw
  5. Ancient "Log" Throw
  6. Trunk Twist Throw - Alternating
  7. Trunk Extend & Flex
  8. Trunk Rotations
  9. Lateral Lunges
  10. Medicine Ball Pikes
  11. Soccer Pickup Toss
  12. Overhead Orbits - Alternating