CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lyle McDonald on Crossfit (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=55494)

Evan Anderson 02-12-2010 11:50 AM

Lyle McDonald on Crossfit
 
I like this guy's nutrition stuff (Rippetoe always recommends him).

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showt...light=crossfit (Work/Family safe)

Sean J Hunter 02-12-2010 01:02 PM

Re: Lyle McDonald on Crossfit
 
There's a bit of science in what he says, but mostly all the comments show a remarkable ignorance of what CF claims and doesnt claim to do as well as what CF is and what it is not.

S

hugh driscoll 02-12-2010 02:15 PM

Re: Lyle McDonald on Crossfit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter (Post 738562)
There's a bit of science in what he says, but mostly all the comments show a remarkable ignorance of what CF claims and doesnt claim to do as well as what CF is and what it is not.

S

He is questioning if main page randomness and all workouts at 90%+ intensity is productive for competitive athletes. He thinks not. And I think he is right.

Really it relates to goals, sport vs GPP. Main page Crossfit is not the best way to excel at sports.

(i know, I know.. learn and play new sports...)

cheers

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 02-12-2010 02:21 PM

Re: Lyle McDonald on Crossfit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugh driscoll (Post 738601)
He is questioning if main page randomness and all workouts at 90%+ intensity is productive for competitive athletes. He thinks not. And I think he is right.

Really it relates to goals, sport vs GPP. Main page Crossfit is not the best way to excel at sports.

(i know, I know.. learn and play new sports...)

cheers

I think that the fact of the matter is that most people outside of this site compare "Crossfit" to only what appears on the main site. The reality is that MANY people, including Crossfit Affiliates, have created programs that are just in the "spirit" of Crossfit, but have more included (linear progression, sprint training, etc). These programs work better... yes.

People get defensive when someone rolls in and makes generalizations like "Crossfit is ****".

Mainpage programming, in my opinion, is just an idea that gets the ball rolling.

Gerhard Lavin 02-12-2010 02:25 PM

Re: Lyle McDonald on Crossfit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III (Post 738604)
I think that the fact of the matter is that most people outside of this site compare "Crossfit" to only what appears on the main site. The reality is that MANY people, including Crossfit Affiliates, have created programs that are just in the "spirit" of Crossfit, but have more included (linear progression, sprint training, etc). These programs work better... yes.

People get defensive when someone rolls in and makes generalizations like "Crossfit is ****".

Mainpage programming, in my opinion, is just an idea that gets the ball rolling.

If these programs work better then what is the purpose of .com

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 02-12-2010 02:27 PM

Re: Lyle McDonald on Crossfit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Lavin (Post 738607)
If these programs work better then what is the purpose of .com

Like I said... it's an idea. It gets a lot of beginners started.

Darrell E. White 02-12-2010 02:35 PM

Re: Lyle McDonald on Crossfit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Lavin (Post 738607)
If these programs work better then what is the purpose of .com

Crossfit.com is one version of a Crossfit program. One could think of it as a "pure GPP" program. There are affiliate gyms that program their own version of GPP, others that lean toward more strength bias, and still others that do GPP for most of their members but program sport-specific programs that integrate CF principles.

--bingo

Darrell E. White 02-12-2010 02:39 PM

Re: Lyle McDonald on Crossfit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugh driscoll (Post 738601)
He is questioning if main page randomness and all workouts at 90%+ intensity is productive for competitive athletes. He thinks not. And I think he is right.

Really it relates to goals, sport vs GPP. Main page Crossfit is not the best way to excel at sports.

(i know, I know.. learn and play new sports...)

cheers

Main Page Crossfit as a single modality is probably not the best route to maximize specialized sport performance. Agreed.

You paint with a rather broad brush, though. "He thinks not and I think he is right?" Do you have data to support your general statement that MP CF is "not the best way to excel at sports"? Might not Main Page Crossfit be a more than adequate foundation, even an EXCELLENT foundation of fitness upon which to build your sport-specific skills?

--bingo

Evan Anderson 02-12-2010 02:49 PM

Re: Lyle McDonald on Crossfit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Lavin (Post 738607)
If these programs work better then what is the purpose of .com

That's a great question. If these "better programs" (which don't resemble the main page even slightly and can't even truly be called Crossfit IMO) are generally accepted as superior by even devoted xfitters, then what is being implied?

Sean J Hunter 02-12-2010 03:21 PM

Re: Lyle McDonald on Crossfit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugh driscoll (Post 738601)
He is questioning if main page randomness and all workouts at 90%+ intensity is productive for competitive athletes. He thinks not. And I think he is right.

Really it relates to goals, sport vs GPP. Main page Crossfit is not the best way to excel at sports.

(i know, I know.. learn and play new sports...)

cheers

I disagree. Main page is designed for one of the primary goals of CF...to bring usable actionable fitness to the general public. The avg Joe just wants to be fit and enjoy life. IMHO it is designed so folks can be fit and let there fitness serve them.

This whole "not good for specialist" thing is correct. If they read the damn site it says so itself. Sure its god for excelling at sports, define excelling.

Sean


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.