CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Stuff and Nonsense (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   When do you wash your clothes ? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=86316)

Adam Zelenay 02-25-2014 04:03 PM

When do you wash your clothes ?

I usually train later at nights, either at 5 or 7 p.m. , come home, manage to quickly dry out the stuff on the balcony, so i can shove it back in my bag in the morning. Since i train almost every day, i just change the towels but dont seem to have time to wash my shorts or shirt. Just wondering, when do u wash your clothes ? :D

Andy Shirley 02-25-2014 08:37 PM

Re: When do you wash your clothes ?

I have 4 pairs of gym shorts, wash when they are all dirty. Usually only one wearing per pair, given the warm climate and my excessive sweatyness. One or two shirts per workout and one sweat towel.

Greg Warren 02-26-2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Zelenay (Post 1221061)
I usually train later at nights, either at 5 or 7 p.m. , come home, manage to quickly dry out the stuff on the balcony, so i can shove it back in my bag in the morning. Since i train almost every day, i just change the towels but dont seem to have time to wash my shorts or shirt. Just wondering, when do u wash your clothes ? :D

I sweat like a whore in church on Sunday, so I don't ever re-wear anything. When the laundry is full (or I'm running out of workout clothes) it's time to fire up the washer. I have at least a dozen different pairs of shorts I wear, and twice as many t-shirts, so I could conceivably almost make it two weeks without washing. I always lay things out to dry before tossing them in the laundry hamper though; otherwise the smell is just unbearable after a few days.

Nik Nichols 02-26-2014 08:40 AM

I wash my close when they are dirty.:rofl: Just kidding. as already said, I have more then one pair of shorts and cycle through them and as for shirts I wear what ever because it will be taken off soon enough.

Jason Olney 02-26-2014 09:41 AM

Usually go 2-3 workouts on a pair of shorts, change shirts every day

Jason Marceaux 02-26-2014 10:01 AM

I wash after every WOD. I sweat too much to re-wear anything.

Joe Spinelli 02-26-2014 11:07 AM

I workout at lunch time so I store almost all of my gym clothes at my office (as well as my jump rope, shin guards, and most of my athletic shoes). After every workout they go into a hamper that I bought and they go home with my every Friday religiously. I have probably 8 pairs of shorts and 12 shirts I cycle through. I can't wear anything more than once because I sweat like mad.

Alex Burden 02-27-2014 11:00 AM

Nothing worse than someone that smells of sweat in the gym... you know that old smell that makes your eyes water.

We had two people we had to tell to wash their clothes or leave... i mean they stunk...

I use my clothes once and then wash them but with no softner only washing powder. Softner will ruin the clothes.

Mark E. Wallace 02-27-2014 04:14 PM

Dang it. We're supposed to be washing them? Nuts.

- Mark

Price Goosby 02-28-2014 07:34 AM

I have enough shirts to last probably last a week and a half without washing. Shorts I only own maybe 4 pairs so I might repeat every now and again, but typically it's every 3 or 4 days I'm washing it all.

Clint Harris 02-28-2014 08:58 AM

Never. I just put them in the hamper and they magically show up clean again. The hamper is pretty awesome, is made from intertwined cane, is cloth lined, and cost maybe $15. All I do is open the lid, put clothes in, then shut the lid. Within the next few days they show up clean and ready to be worn again. I may have got it from Target, but perhaps Bed, Bath and Beyond ....... maybe the beyond section itself.

Alex Burden 02-28-2014 02:52 PM

You know what, my wife says the same thing about the car... it is always clean and magically always fully tanked.

But i wish i had one of those magic hampers, if they were on E-Bay i would buy half a dozen just to make sure i had enough to last the rest of my life :)

Martin Rivera 02-28-2014 03:02 PM

I have enough shorts and shirts to last me a week or two, but I usually wash everything on Sunday.

Chuck Golden 02-28-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Marceaux (Post 1221176)
I wash after every WOD. I sweat too much to re-wear anything.

:yeahthat:
Most of the time my stuff goes straight in the washer when I get home. If they sit in the dirty clothes for even a couple days they start to get pretty ripe.

I also found during the summer my stuff will get nasty just sitting in the car all day, I work out before work. And I even had some problems with them stinking even after washing. They'd be totally fine until I'd get warmed up and it was like the first drop of sweat just unleashed a massive stink bomb. I had to start dumping baking soda on worth loads and even soaked some particularly nasty shirts in vinegar

Clint Harris 02-28-2014 07:47 PM

Chuck, try soaking in some water + white vinegar before washing. Helps to kill that post-wash odor. We buy one of those large distilled white vinegar container for like $2 at the grocery store. Good for 5 or so soaks.
Put clothes in washer, start to fill water, add some vinegar and soak 30 mins. Spin to get rid of that water, wash normally

(damn, I'm busted, I don't have a magic hamper afterall).

Alex Burden 02-28-2014 11:32 PM

:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Golden (Post 1221686)
Most of the time my stuff goes straight in the washer when I get home. If they sit in the dirty clothes for even a couple days they start to get pretty ripe.

Chuck - what temp do you wash your clothes? I know most labels say wash at 40 degrees but never works. Wack them in at 60 degrees but no softner.

The softner is not good for training clothes and actually weakens the material and ruins the breathing properties of it.

If you dont wash your clothes for a day or so after training then hang them to dry first and then stick them in the magic hamper that Clint had :) otherwise they will build up on bacteria while being damp and can get that nasty smells that is hard to get rid of.

And who said we men can't do the washing :D

Chuck Golden 03-04-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Burden (Post 1221712)
:D

Chuck - what temp do you wash your clothes? I know most labels say wash at 40 degrees but never works. Wack them in at 60 degrees but no softner.

The softner is not good for training clothes and actually weakens the material and ruins the breathing properties of it.

If you dont wash your clothes for a day or so after training then hang them to dry first and then stick them in the magic hamper that Clint had :) otherwise they will build up on bacteria while being damp and can get that nasty smells that is hard to get rid of.

And who said we men can't do the washing :D

So I assume 60 degree water would be warm/cold or warm/warm cycle? I must have a cheap washer that doesn't have exact degrees.

Alex Burden 03-04-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Golden (Post 1222288)
So I assume 60 degree water would be warm/cold or warm/warm cycle? I must have a cheap washer that doesn't have exact degrees.

HI Chuck... i would have no idea...

on my machine it has loads of diferent temps and types of wash... i just hit the button and it does it stuff, all electronic.

Maybe i should have said 60 degrees celsius or 140 fahrenheit... all celsius over here in Europe.. :D

Christopher Morris 03-06-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint Harris (Post 1221550)
Never. I just put them in the hamper and they magically show up clean again. The hamper is pretty awesome, is made from intertwined cane, is cloth lined, and cost maybe $15. All I do is open the lid, put clothes in, then shut the lid. Within the next few days they show up clean and ready to be worn again. I may have got it from Target, but perhaps Bed, Bath and Beyond ....... maybe the beyond section itself.

Thanks for the laugh, Clint!

Milton Brisson 03-21-2014 02:41 PM

I take my suits to the dry cleaners, two or three times a year......dont do it too often, spot wash where needed....

Gym clothes, after every use! Some people perspire, some people sweat, I just plain stink! If I could do a load half-way through a WoD that would be better, but logistics prevent that!

Mark Lamoree 03-27-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Golden (Post 1221686)

I also found during the summer my stuff will get nasty just sitting in the car all day, I work out before work. And I even had some problems with them stinking even after washing. They'd be totally fine until I'd get warmed up and it was like the first drop of sweat just unleashed a massive stink bomb. I had to start dumping baking soda on worth loads and even soaked some particularly nasty shirts in vinegar

During the warm months, on occasions when I can't just throw clothes straight in the washer, I usually lay the dirty clothes out in the back of my pick-up. The sunlight dries them out, and kills enough bacteria that when I leave for the day, they are dry and stench-free enough to pack up.

As a general rule, though, I don't let the sweaty clothes sit in the hamper for more than a day.

Boris Wartenberg 03-31-2014 05:33 AM

I can not re-wear stuff I have been wearing during a workout, wether it is CrossFit, biking or jogging.... And they will "smell" even if I did not sweat that much... But I do have to wash and clean them after using them.

Dare Vodusek 03-15-2015 08:21 AM

Looking for some tips on how to wash away the stains, since sport fabric should not be washed over 30C.

My UA white underwear have a bit of stains on the "common" place and I cant get rid of it, tried google tips with vinegar, etc..no success.

I know I should only wear them once, but for this I am too late...will do so in the future...

Nik Nichols 03-24-2015 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris Wartenberg (Post 1226273)
I can not re-wear stuff I have been wearing during a workout, wether it is CrossFit, biking or jogging.... And they will "smell" even if I did not sweat that much... But I do have to wash and clean them after using them.

Agreed!! i cant wear them again at all till they are clean.

Blair Robert Lowe 03-25-2015 12:39 AM

When they don't pass the smell test. Roughly once a week and usually air dry most stuff.

Then again, not really sweating that much because you know...Weightlifting and it's been cold/cooler.

Again, must pass the smell test. Kinda silly to take a shower and come to the gym clean and smell like ***.