CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Stuff and Nonsense (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   When do you wash your clothes ? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=86316)

Clint Harris 02-28-2014 08:58 AM

Re: When do you wash your clothes ?

Never. I just put them in the hamper and they magically show up clean again. The hamper is pretty awesome, is made from intertwined cane, is cloth lined, and cost maybe $15. All I do is open the lid, put clothes in, then shut the lid. Within the next few days they show up clean and ready to be worn again. I may have got it from Target, but perhaps Bed, Bath and Beyond ....... maybe the beyond section itself.

Alex Burden 02-28-2014 02:52 PM

You know what, my wife says the same thing about the car... it is always clean and magically always fully tanked.

But i wish i had one of those magic hampers, if they were on E-Bay i would buy half a dozen just to make sure i had enough to last the rest of my life :)

Martin Rivera 02-28-2014 03:02 PM

I have enough shorts and shirts to last me a week or two, but I usually wash everything on Sunday.

Chuck Golden 02-28-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Marceaux (Post 1221176)
I wash after every WOD. I sweat too much to re-wear anything.

:yeahthat:
Most of the time my stuff goes straight in the washer when I get home. If they sit in the dirty clothes for even a couple days they start to get pretty ripe.

I also found during the summer my stuff will get nasty just sitting in the car all day, I work out before work. And I even had some problems with them stinking even after washing. They'd be totally fine until I'd get warmed up and it was like the first drop of sweat just unleashed a massive stink bomb. I had to start dumping baking soda on worth loads and even soaked some particularly nasty shirts in vinegar

Clint Harris 02-28-2014 07:47 PM

Chuck, try soaking in some water + white vinegar before washing. Helps to kill that post-wash odor. We buy one of those large distilled white vinegar container for like $2 at the grocery store. Good for 5 or so soaks.
Put clothes in washer, start to fill water, add some vinegar and soak 30 mins. Spin to get rid of that water, wash normally

(damn, I'm busted, I don't have a magic hamper afterall).

Alex Burden 02-28-2014 11:32 PM

:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Golden (Post 1221686)
:yeahthat:
Most of the time my stuff goes straight in the washer when I get home. If they sit in the dirty clothes for even a couple days they start to get pretty ripe.

Chuck - what temp do you wash your clothes? I know most labels say wash at 40 degrees but never works. Wack them in at 60 degrees but no softner.

The softner is not good for training clothes and actually weakens the material and ruins the breathing properties of it.

If you dont wash your clothes for a day or so after training then hang them to dry first and then stick them in the magic hamper that Clint had :) otherwise they will build up on bacteria while being damp and can get that nasty smells that is hard to get rid of.

And who said we men can't do the washing :D

Chuck Golden 03-04-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Burden (Post 1221712)
:D

Chuck - what temp do you wash your clothes? I know most labels say wash at 40 degrees but never works. Wack them in at 60 degrees but no softner.

The softner is not good for training clothes and actually weakens the material and ruins the breathing properties of it.

If you dont wash your clothes for a day or so after training then hang them to dry first and then stick them in the magic hamper that Clint had :) otherwise they will build up on bacteria while being damp and can get that nasty smells that is hard to get rid of.

And who said we men can't do the washing :D

So I assume 60 degree water would be warm/cold or warm/warm cycle? I must have a cheap washer that doesn't have exact degrees.

Alex Burden 03-04-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Golden (Post 1222288)
So I assume 60 degree water would be warm/cold or warm/warm cycle? I must have a cheap washer that doesn't have exact degrees.

HI Chuck... i would have no idea...

on my machine it has loads of diferent temps and types of wash... i just hit the button and it does it stuff, all electronic.

Maybe i should have said 60 degrees celsius or 140 fahrenheit... all celsius over here in Europe.. :D

Christopher Morris 03-06-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint Harris (Post 1221550)
Never. I just put them in the hamper and they magically show up clean again. The hamper is pretty awesome, is made from intertwined cane, is cloth lined, and cost maybe $15. All I do is open the lid, put clothes in, then shut the lid. Within the next few days they show up clean and ready to be worn again. I may have got it from Target, but perhaps Bed, Bath and Beyond ....... maybe the beyond section itself.

Thanks for the laugh, Clint!

Milton Brisson 03-21-2014 02:41 PM

I take my suits to the dry cleaners, two or three times a year......dont do it too often, spot wash where needed....

Gym clothes, after every use! Some people perspire, some people sweat, I just plain stink! If I could do a load half-way through a WoD that would be better, but logistics prevent that!