CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Exercise Associated Hyponatremic Encephalopathy, Gatorade and the ACSM (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=86218)

Preston Sprimont 04-08-2014 02:44 PM

Re: Exercise Associated Hyponatremic Encephalopathy, Gatorade and the ACSM

Received my copy of the book in the mail today. Thanks for the generosity, Crossfit HQ!
Plenty of reading to do now...

Christopher Morris 04-13-2014 10:21 PM

Early report on a death after the London marathon:

[url]http://news.sky.com/story/1241957/man-dies-after-finishing-london-marathon[/url] (wfs)

Of course it's too soon to know the cause in this case. Since learning of EAHE, I'm always going to suspect it when seeing a story like this. I don't think EAHE overhydration deaths are in the forefront of general public knowledge enough. It's not the first thing suspected in media reports.

Russell Greene 04-15-2014 10:30 AM

Thanks for the link, Chris.

It doesn't look like they know what caused his death yet, but I found this line interesting:

"Runners were advised to take on plenty of water as bright sunshine and light breeze meant conditions were warm, reaching 16C in St James's Park."

16 degrees celsius is equivalent to 61 degrees Farenheit - hardly Saharan conditions.

I also noticed an interesting story from a race in the U.K (w/f safe): [B][URL="http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-26910318"]"Sheffield Half Marathon water shortage causes chaos"[/URL][/B]

The water delivery didn't show up, so the organizers canceled the race out of concern for the runners' health. They ran anyway, with some help from a few volunteers spontaneously supplying water.

I haven't heard any reports of injury or death from the race yet. An investigation into the lack of water is ongoing.

Kenny Markwardt 04-15-2014 11:25 AM

Received my book a few days ago. Just about a chapter or so in. Fascinating stuff. Thank you!

Christopher Morris 04-15-2014 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=Russell Greene;1228065]I also noticed an interesting story from a race in the U.K (w/f safe): [B][URL="http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-26910318"]"Sheffield Half Marathon water shortage causes chaos"[/URL][/B][/QUOTE]

It looks like the video of the race being canceled shows weather that was not necessarily high risk for dehydration (damp roads, people in jackets, overcast). I understand why the race organizers canceled, but I can also understand why the runners decided, "To heck with it, I'm running anyway."

I would have hopped that Noakes research at the British College of Sports Medicine would have greater influence on the way their races are planned, but it seems that overhydration philosophy is in effect there too.

The link I provided now has a video that names the runner who died in London. The video shows an interview with a doctor where she speculates common causes of athletic event deaths:
- heart problems,
- energy supplements that put extra strain on the heart, or
- dehydration.

Overhydration is not on the radar yet. Keep working at it, HQ. Spread the word.

Andy Shirley 04-22-2014 02:43 PM

Lynne,
Never saw an email about the book. Maybe got lost in junk mail? Can you resend, I updated my email address.
Thanks!

[COLOR="Blue"][I]Hi Andy

I'll ask the support team to re-contact you at the new email addy.

Regards,
Lynne[/I][/COLOR]

Christopher Murphy 05-13-2014 03:34 PM

Hello Lynne, I would like a copy of the book if there are any left. Thanks HQ for the education on this topic.

Best Regards,
Chris Murphy

[COLOR="Blue"][I]Hi Chris,

You're on the list.

Regards,
Lynne[/I][/COLOR]

Pete Deiwert 06-02-2014 07:17 AM

Could I get a copy?

Tighe Crovetti 06-02-2014 07:55 AM

Lynne -

Very interested in a copy if available!

I have been fighting this battle, ignorant of the science, for a while now. My kids play baseball/softball, I coach with my son's teams. I routinely see players (these are 9-12 y/o's) showing up with one OR TWO 32 oz. of Gatorade/Powerade, for two hours of baseball practice, in 65-degree weather, with parents sending them out of the car with "stay hydrated!!" cries. My wife is one of those people. Heck, sometimes when they are going to simply WATCH a game, there is a last minute out-the-door panic of, "do you have a water bottle?!?!" I keep trying to tell her: I never had water during a game or practice, I drank before I left, and drank after the game, or maybe I would run to a water fountain for a couple ounces at a time. Even during August football camp, we would only get a break every 30 minutes or so, at which time we got to drink about 6-8 ounces of water. There was only one stretch, as a coach, my boys were playing a tournament where they would have multiple games a day, and the temperatures were going to be triple-digit and high humidity: I brought a 5-gallon cooler, about half full of Gatorade (made from powder). More importantly, IMO, I brought a small Playmate cooler with ice water and washcloths, which I still use myself on very hot days (I play on a men's league baseball team).

As far as "what are we doing to fight the fight," I think it can be very simple. Read up on some facts, and disseminate it. Simple things like social media posts, can spread quickly (yes, just like misinformation, unfortunately). If 10 people read my FB wall and read, that they are overhydrating their child, that's a start.

Doug Lantz 06-02-2014 07:18 PM

[url]http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/#.U40tuXJdWVo[/url] (probably not WFS, disturbing content)

I vividly recall this incident but wasn't aware until now that certain people involved in this "contest" received warnings of this possibility. Probability is moire like it.

I also vividly recall reading as a young boy in a LIFE science book about water poisoning, it was along the lines of "drinking a gallon of water can kill you"

I believe this ties right in with the "8 glasses of water per day" that's been around for decades but no one seems to know from where it came. Maybe the Gatorade / ACSM made it up ? ?

I'd like a copy of "Waterlogged" if you have any more of the 500.