CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Zercher Squats (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=71839)

Michael A. Jones 12-01-2011 05:53 PM

Zercher Squats

Anyone out there ever do Zerchers? I have been experimenting with them and wanted some adice.
I typically work with about 165#s. Is that light, just right.....? I'm 6'1" and about 190#s. Still trying to discover a "comfort zone" with weight. Looking for some tutorials, video, whatever.
Thanks in advance.

Collin Thompson 12-01-2011 06:02 PM

Re: Zercher Squats

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael A. Jones (Post 1009933)
Anyone out there ever do Zerchers? I have been experimenting with them and wanted some adice.
I typically work with about 165#s. Is that light, just right.....? I'm 6'1" and about 190#s. Still trying to discover a "comfort zone" with weight. Looking for some tutorials, video, whatever.
Thanks in advance.

Yeah that's light relative to your BW but the numbers really only matter in the context of your goal.

Michael A. Jones 12-02-2011 10:58 AM

Thanks, Collin. I'm still researching the technique and acceptable weight. My goal is to do, at least my body weight, then increasing steadily. Since it's new, I plan to do a WOD starting with 165# and use small increment weight increases to find my max. Then, I can program in some more to gradually go up in weight.

Ian Nigh 12-02-2011 11:06 AM

You say you want to find your "comfort zone" with respects to the weight? IMHO progress is made when you push slightly beyond your comfort zone in training. The more technically proficient you become, the harder you can push before hitting the point of diminishing returns.

What weight is "just right" for Z squats (or any strength movement, really)? Whatever weight makes you feel like you could not really do any more for the given number of reps and maintain good technique.

Matt Rexin 12-05-2011 01:09 PM

Here are a few things I've learned doing zercher squats.
1. Chalk your elbow creases up.
2. Bring your hands in closer together, it helps to stabilize the weight. What I mean by this is to have a slight angle of your forearms as opposed to them being parallel with your body.
3. It's more of a low rep exercise.

Aaron Gainer 12-05-2011 08:21 PM

Should be almost equivalent to your front squat. Find your 1 rep max(get at least close to it), then program from there.

Michael A. Jones 12-10-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer (Post 1011133)
Should be almost equivalent to your front squat. Find your 1 rep max(get at least close to it), then program from there.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't been back to the Z squat since posting but I plan on programming some more work in.

As stated, I just began doing the squats so I wanted to paly around with a weight to get my form down.