CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   CFSB - Ask your questions here! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=42787)

Andrew David Crockett 07-30-2009 11:51 AM

Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Thanks, in summary eat more of all macros, with more carbs if your performance suffers.

I'd got the impression from various sources that becoming 'fully adapted' to a high fat, low carb diet would support similar strength gains that are achievable with high(er) carb diets, yet others claim that whilst a paleo diet is healthier than high carb, training 5 or 6 x/week won't allow sufficient time to fully replenish liver and muscle glycogen, so when training at the limit of your ability your performance will suffer.

I guess its an individual response as you said.

In terms of timing, are people eating a large proportion of their carbs PWO or just spreading these across all of their meals ?

Eric Simpson 07-30-2009 03:36 PM

Ive been eating the majority of my carbs pre, post and post-post. The largest dose is my post workout one where I eat a massive Yam/Sweet Potato.

I have ice cream before bed every now and then as well and my performance/recovery has been great this cycle.

Mark Lanza 07-30-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew David Crockett (Post 634758)
Thanks, in summary eat more of all macros, with more carbs if your performance suffers.

I'd got the impression from various sources that becoming 'fully adapted' to a high fat, low carb diet would support similar strength gains that are achievable with high(er) carb diets, yet others claim that whilst a paleo diet is healthier than high carb, training 5 or 6 x/week won't allow sufficient time to fully replenish liver and muscle glycogen, so when training at the limit of your ability your performance will suffer.

I guess its an individual response as you said.

In terms of timing, are people eating a large proportion of their carbs PWO or just spreading these across all of their meals ?

I actually haven't increased my carbs at all. I started eating a bit more protein, then ramped it up a bit more recently. I'm increasing ME loads each week, and may next experiment with fluctuating protein intake based on ME/WOD days and intensity.

I imagine there's a general template out there, but the best thing you can do is slowly adjust your diet and pay attention to recovery, performance, energy levels, sleep quality, etc. I would tinker first with fat, then protein and lastly carbs. People give too much credit to carbs and don't give enough credit to fat, but it truly is a magic macro. For example, grab a couple handfuls of nuts prior to an super-intense workout and your lunch will never end up on the gym floor. Or use it when you want to slow down digestion (obviously not post-wod). It's great to consume when you cheat (ie beer, sweets. etc) because slow-digestion (level insulin) is your best friend.

Customize your diet because, like everyone else, you're unique.

Gabriel Goodwin 07-31-2009 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Lanza (Post 635037)
Customize your diet because, like everyone else, you're unique.

You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

I think Tyler Durden said it best.

Brian Bedell 07-31-2009 06:41 AM

My vote for worst post ever.

Lee Hill 07-31-2009 06:47 AM

I second that.

Gabriel Goodwin 07-31-2009 07:45 AM

Perhaps a little harsh? I've seen some really bad posts in my short time here, I wouldn't count that with them.

Ryan Hoegner 07-31-2009 07:49 AM

Jumped from 185 to 195 on my standing overhead shoulder press in two weeks :)

Camille Lore 07-31-2009 04:09 PM

This thread has been extremely helpful with the CFSB program. I'd hate to see it get off track.

Murray Birch 07-31-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner (Post 635324)
Jumped from 185 to 195 on my standing overhead shoulder press in two weeks :)

Nice Ryan :highfive: What's your secret? My shoulder press is my slowest improving lift- it took me about a year to go from 175 to 185 in my press. I did one CFSB cycle and added 10 lbs to my 3 RM, but nothing to my 1 RM.