CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   warm ups (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=36700)

Jason Gregg 09-05-2008 01:09 PM

warm ups

I just started crossfit last week and have always been told not to do the same muscle every day and to let them rest. My question is, is it ok to do the same warm up every day or should i try to do alternate ones?

Andy Gann 09-05-2008 01:44 PM

Re: warm ups

Quote:

My question is, is it ok to do the same warm up every day or should i try to do alternate ones?
First - welcome!! It's good to see another East Tennessean on the boards ... even if you are from cocke county! :D

I'm not an expert but the warm up is just that - a warm up. It is not a work set nor meant to put strain on the muscles to the point that they need recovery.

I do the same workout everyday - with a little variation.

1 or 2 rounds of:
10 x
situps
push ups
supermans
pull ups (2 sets of 5)
dips
squats (sometimes OHS w/ PVC)

then - sometimes I will do some double-unders, jog in place, high knees, butt kicks, etc ...

Hope that helps!

:welcome:

Steve Yu 09-05-2008 03:37 PM

Jason,

Welcome!

The "don't train the same muscle groups on consecutive days" theory derives from the body-building methodology which gets de-constructed a lot around here. Spend some time on the boards, watching the videos and you'll get a GREAT understanding of the CF methodology and how it contrasts with body-building.

I train 2-10 CFers out of my garage gym (lvl 1 cert) 5-6 days a week; my peeps come from widely ranging fitness backgrounds and I have them all doing the CFWU every workout. I scale it to their respective fitness level, those who can do pull-ups do pull-ups, those who can't use bands to assist them or do jumping pull-ups. If a CFer can't do a push-up let alone a dip, I start them on knee push-ups, graduate them to real push-ups then to dips with a band to true dips. You get the idea.

By gradually increasing the demands placed on their bodies, they adapt to the stress; sometimes astonishingly quickly.

I hope this helps. Enjoy CrossFit it can be life-changing.

Steve

Andy Gann 09-06-2008 05:36 AM

correction:

On my post, I said that I do the same 'workout' I meant that I do the same WARMUP!

oops

Mitchell Brown 09-06-2008 05:52 AM

Hey I fall into the same camp as the others and do the CFWU every day. Usually I do
3 x 15 pullups
3 x 15 dips
3 x 15 x 5kg OH squats
3 x 15 second sampson stretch
3 x 15 sit ups
3 x 15 back extension

If it's a workout with pullups/ squats/ dips etc. I'll do sets of 7 instead. Sometimes I'll do a 1km row as well or the CFE warm up on www.crossfitendurance.com if the WOD is running related.

Randy Kite 09-08-2008 02:18 PM

We do:

2,3, or 4 rounds at 20, 15, or 10 reps of push ups, sit ups, jumping pull ups, and air squats followed by 30 seconds of samson stretch each round.

Then 5,10, or 15 reps of shoulder press, push press, and push jerk with a pole.

Interestingly enough I was injury prone until I started this warm up.:D