CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   wild game organs (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=30884)

Shawn Hultquist 04-24-2008 05:32 AM

wild game organs

anyone ever eat wild game organs from the deer or swine families? I was able to obtain a few wild ferral hogs from my buddies ranch and was wondering if the heart or livers were any good to eat. These animals were stricktly grass fed.

TIA
Shawn

Sarena Kopciel 04-24-2008 05:57 AM

Re: wild game organs

Check out this article
http://www.modernforager.com/blog/wp...utelyoffal.pdf
wfs

Doug Blankenship 04-24-2008 06:00 AM

I believe Jay eats items like these, not sure if he goes for the wild organs? Give it time I'm sure he will swing in here and let you know.

Jay Cohen 04-24-2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Hultquist (Post 298126)
anyone ever eat wild game organs from the deer or swine families? I was able to obtain a few wild ferral hogs from my buddies ranch and was wondering if the heart or livers were any good to eat. These animals were stricktly grass fed.

TIA
Shawn

We're talking some fine eating here. Just Pressure Cooked a Beef Tongue this morning, having for lunch, rest in freezer.

Since it's Grass Fed, you're really good to go. Slow cook in Crock Pot, Pressure Cook, guess you could bake.

Many recipes on line, plus there are some great books on eating all parts of the animal, i.e. The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating

BTW, keep this between us. The more people that don't eat Organ meats, the better for us, price wise and Fran time wise!!!

Kurt A Gross 04-24-2008 06:39 AM

I hunt deer with archery tackle here in PA. I've eaten plenty of hearts and livers. Tasty.
I'm told there's a danger of liver flukes in deer liver if it's not cooked. I just cook it. If the animal appears healthy, and the organs look ok when I'm dressing the animal, I'm not too worried about it.

Shawn Hultquist 04-24-2008 06:44 AM

Ok thanks everyone and I will try those recipies sarena. That just just gives me more evcuses to go sticking animals with the old long bow.

Shawn

Sarena Kopciel 04-24-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Hultquist (Post 298169)
Ok thanks everyone and I will try those recipies sarena. That just just gives me more evcuses to go sticking animals with the old long bow.

Shawn

Keep us posted! Hearty appetite!

Bronson Nihill 04-25-2008 11:01 PM

ive only eaten organs from grass-fed Bison.

Bone Marrow
Heart
Testicles
Liver
Thyriod

all have been eaten in their raw state.
the Bone Marrow is my favorite, its very good, i love the texture, a little goes along way, packed with monounsaturated fats.
Heart taste almost identical to muscle meat, just a different consistency, alittle spongey, but good.
Testicles were by far the most abhorant thing ive ever tasted in my life. i only tried alittle bite and couldnt eat anymore.
the Liver and Thyriod i added to a protein shake, the Liver made the shake taste like liquid metal, not very good.
all were eaten raw, so im not sure how theyd be cooked.

John S Park 04-28-2008 07:58 PM

testicles :( lol.. i don't know if I could ever eat that

I have found that adding Curry Powder (turmeric, cumin, black pepper, ginger, garlic) has greatly raised the palatability of my grass fed liver..

i just made a stir fry:

sate onions first
chop up liver and throw it in
sprinkle curry powder into the mix from my hand
throw in some cut up kimchi

this made for a VERY TASTY dinner.. i feel as if curry powder and liver is a match made in heaven.

I'm planning to put in some good bacon next time...

Elliot Fuller 04-29-2008 01:29 AM

Re: testicles

If you deep fry them to the point of non-recognition, I find that they're a little more tolerable. Of course, I could deep fry and eat my own hand, and still think it tastes fine, probably. The wonders of hot, fatty oil.