CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New to crossfit! Struggling with weight! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=81431)

Shannon Taylor 04-09-2013 07:53 PM

New to crossfit! Struggling with weight!

Hey! I have been doing weight watchers and have lost -12 pounds I still have another 8 lbs to loose. I have been losing about -1.8 a week. I just went to my first cross fit class on Friday and also worked one other day this week ( I haven't been doing any exercise till this week) I am struggling on days that I do work out because I'm starving! Anyone have tips or things that have worked for them as for dieting? I know I will gaining muscle and such. Maybe I should just be measuring so I don't get discouraged?

Pamela Houck 04-09-2013 09:59 PM

Re: New to crossfit! Struggling with weight!

You need more protein to build muscle and calories because you're probably undereating for the degree of exercise you're doing.

Many CF'ers do Paleo or some other form of high protein, low(er) carb (not necessarily particularly low). That is what my gym suggests and what I'm doing. My inches and pictures are showing great progress!

Joe Spinelli 04-10-2013 03:57 PM

You can't (and shouldn't) go by weight alone. Take a pic, take some measurements, pay attention to how your clothes fit, and then do the same in 6 months. If you put in the work, the results will be there.

That said, you still need to eat enough to get through your workout. I workout at 11:30am, so I have a protein shake at 7:45, eat some protein and carbs around 9:00 and a banana or some yogurt about 10:30. You have to have fuel for your body to perform. Mix with plenty of water and a sensible meal after your workout and you will lose weight/inches.

Good luck!

Mark E. Wallace 04-10-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Taylor (Post 1157037)
I still have another 8 lbs to loose.

According to whom?

- Mark

Pamela Houck 04-10-2013 07:29 PM

Mark is right.

I was looking at results stats/pics of a heavy exercise program a few years ago. I came across this one woman. At 5 ft 6 in, she weighed 160 pounds. I remember being very surprised. Later in the blurb, it said she was a size six. That looked about right. But 160 pounds and size six don't match! Well, it does when you've gained muscle and lost fat.

You my not really have 8 pounds to lose. In fact, it is quite possibly you'll even GAIN weight over the long term. But if you looked the way you wanted whether a 2 or 6 or 10 and felt great and were capable to do just about anything you wanted, don't you think you'd be plenty happy?

Cliff Miller 04-10-2013 08:47 PM

shannon when i started crossfit 3 and a bit years ago i weighed 255 lbs just out of interest as i had not been on a scale in about 6-8 months i jumped on the one at the gym last week.

i am down to 240 lbs and still 6' tall.

many of my shirts no longer fit properly because i have gotten wider in the back and shoulders. i am having a hard time finding pants that are big enough in the thigh and small enough in the waist. grey sweat pants or shorts just don't cut it all the time.:rofl:

toss the scale out the window for the next 6 months, eat clean and healthy, enjoy your crossfit journey and then get on the scale again. you will be pleasantly surprised if you just stick with it.

Diane Shadgett 04-12-2013 07:24 PM

Measurements and how clothes fit. The scale will make you insane. Most woman do not eat enough or not enough protein and nutrient dense foods. Look at Cross fit articles in journal for food/menu ideas.

Timothy Mabe 04-12-2013 10:09 PM

Shannon you should understand that your body is set up to resist change. As you burn more calories your body will try and take in more calories to keep you from losing weight. I would recommend a food journal to make sure you are eating enough calories and if you are start looking at the quality of calories or how often you eat. Some people benefit from breaking their calories into 6 meals to fight off cravings instead of 3 meals, so you eat every few hours. I usually plan my meals, pre-make them and space them so I always have a little something on hand. And when all else fails I drink lots of water or chew plenty of gum. Without talking to you more it is really hard to give perfect advice. Good luck and keep up the work.

Blair Robert Lowe 04-12-2013 11:35 PM

As Timothy said...water, gum, mints. Caffeine helps. It basically sucks to be in a caloric deficit.

Quote:

But 160 pounds and size six don't match!
I personally think women's sizes are a blend of quantum physics and alchemy.

As you lose more and more weight, it will be harder and harder to lose more weight. Bare in mind a lot of weight loss tends to be water weight from a decrease in carbohydrate load.

Post workout days my hunger tends to be pretty insane. This is especially worse with (Olympic or Power) Weightlifting.

Try eating lots of veggies. Light on calories but take up a lot of space in the stomach.

Dan Denson 04-24-2013 09:58 PM

Shannon Taylor, I can share my experience with you.

About the hunger, for me it was sugar and artificial sweeteners that made me struggle with hunger. I cut out sugar and sweeteners and added a little bit more protein to my diet and it cut my hunger out completely. I'm careful not to cut out too many calories because then my WODs suffer.

I don't like to preach supplements, but I had a lot of luck with isagenix for breakfast and lunch, and switch between 1/2 apple/orange/banana and a larabar for mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks. I still do a shake for breakfast everyday but now do leftovers like a piece of chicken w/ steamed veggies. I never get hungry during the day now.