CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Justin McGinley 11-09-2008 09:36 PM

Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;441977][U][B]Saturday, 11/08/08[/B][/U][B]:

[I]HAMSTRING REHAB DAY #1

Warm-up
Stationary Cycling: [/I][/B][I]10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.7 Mi / HR to 100.

[B]Moderate Cardio
Elliptical Trainer: [/B]20:00 / L5 / 85 RPM avg. / 5.6 Mi / HR to 140
[B]Note:[/B] Felt this one gently in my L/hamstring; no pain whatsoever, just a gentle tugging which lessened and could not be felt at the end of the WO.
[U]Recovery[/U]: 2:15 from 140 BPM to 110 BPM. Coming down!!

[B]Cool Down:
Easy Row - C2 Rower. 13:12. [/B]2.5K / 2:38 avg pace per 500m /Damper @ 7.5

[B]Core Work:
10 X 5 GHD Sit-ups
10 X 5 Back Extensions

R.I.C.E. and copious stretching at home.
Good Mornings w/ no weight and w/ PVC pole.
10 X 2 and 10 X 1.

[/B]This was a very good day. Both R/knee and L/hamstring felt great, stable, and strong. Minimal discomfort during exercise with hamstring. Little or no pain. Will continue with rehab WOs which place normal, anatomical function and stresses on the hamstring, with attention given to slow addition of incremental weight-imposed stress over the course of the next 4 to 6 weeks. According to Coach Rip, this is the most sensible way to rehab a muscle-strain related injury, especially if the injury is not severe and the rehab exercise is well-tolerated (refer [/I][URL]http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700[/URL]) - - w/f/s.[/QUOTE]

Rip knows best. It sounds like your are doing this properly. Don't be hasty.

Patrick Haskell 11-10-2008 07:09 AM

Rip's got a good approach to muscle rehab. Glad it's a minor injury. Taking it slow now is easy with the memory of the popping sound fresh in your mind. In a month is when it will be important to gauge your efforts. Think about what stresses your hamstrings most and be sure to dial back the efforts when you start those activities up again. Sounds like you've got the right approach there.

Margo Fullingim 11-10-2008 09:18 AM

Hey Steve -

I happened onto your log by way of another post. My name is Margo... we met at Crossfit Redding a week or so ago, minus the beard, right?

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say howdy.

Margo

Stephen R. Lampl 11-10-2008 10:47 AM

[quote=Margo Fullingim;442795]Hey Steve -

I happened onto your log by way of another post. My name is Margo... we met at Crossfit Redding a week or so ago, minus the beard, right?

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say howdy.

Margo[/quote]

Hi Margo!

It was wonderful to meet you and your husband! Minus the beard is correct! After not having one for 28 years, it just felt and looked........well......kinda weird.

I had a blast at CF Redding - - learned a ton, and now am getting to put the information and training to work. I got so much out of my one-on-one with Jacob, especially the med. ball work, that I ordered one for myself. We just have a globogym here, so I'm kinda stuck for equipment. A set of rings is next.......

I am totally hooked......starting week 10!

Take care and thanks for stopping by!

Margo Fullingim 11-10-2008 10:59 AM

Wow 10 weeks!!! Glad you're hooked!!!

It's awesome that you had a great experience at Crossfit Redding. Truly a wonderful place to workout. Since your daughter lives local, hopefully we'll get to see more of you!!

Keep up the good work ;-)

Margo

Stephen R. Lampl 11-10-2008 11:50 AM

Thanks, Margo.

I plan to do just that......used to work out at the Y when we lived there and when I would visit. Now that I know there's an affiliate, I gotta go there.......

Charles Bennington 11-10-2008 11:52 AM

Enjoy the rehab as much as you can. It's a good experience to learn about your body. Warmest wishes from Florida!

Stephen R. Lampl 11-10-2008 08:29 PM

[quote=Charles Bennington;442953]Enjoy the rehab as much as you can. It's a good experience to learn about your body. Warmest wishes from Florida![/quote]

Thanks, Chuck. You're right about the experience. It's going well!

Stephen R. Lampl 11-10-2008 09:05 PM

[U][B]Monday, 11/10/08[/B][/U][B]:

[I]35th Anniversary today!! WooHoo!!

HAMSTRING REHAB DAY #2.......

Warm-up:
Stationary Cycling. [/I][/B][I]20:00.
!0:00 @ L3 / 100 RPM / HR to 102
10:00 @ L5 / 100 RPM / HR to 130. Total Distance 5.7 miles.

[B]Moderate:[/B]
[B]Stair Master. [/B]40:00 / L5 - L7 / 3.2 mi / 450 Cal / 62 steps per min. HR to 148. L7 for total of 9 min. interspersed thru WO to keep HR above 140. Last 1 min., sprint at L10 / 90+ / HR to about 150/152.
[B]Recovery: [/B]2:32 from HR 148 BPM to 118.

[B]WOD: "Diminishing Returns"
2 min. Max Rep Double Unders
2 min. Max Rep Sit-ups
90 sec. Max Rep Double Unders
90 sec. Max Rep Sit-ups
1 min. Max Rep Double Unders
1 min. Max Rep Sit-ups
30 sec. Max Rep Double Unders
30 sec. Max Rep Sit-ups

[/B]Since all I can do if I try double unders is trip and fall on my butt, subbed singles.
[B]2 min: 202 (150 singles, 52 sit-ups, unbroken, unanchored)
90 sec: 152 (112 singles, 40 sit-ups, unbroken, unanchored)
1 min: 126 (100 singles, 26 sit-ups, unbroken, unanchored)
30 sec: 80 (65 singles, 15 sit-ups, unbroken, unanchored)
Total: 560
[/B]Took 1 minute rest between sets, but looking back, should probably have tried it straight through. This really was a fun WOD; kicked my butt, but I think I could have pushed a bit harder. The jump rope part of it was a pain......kept tripping.....A LOT. Last set was best - - made it to 59 before catching my feet with the rope.

[B]Good Mornings:
[/B]PVC pole - 10 X 3

[B]Pull-ups - - All Dead Hang. Rest 1:30 between approaches.
3 + 3 (UH) + 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 23
"L" Hang (UH grip) - got 1.5.......
Partial UH pull-ups [/B](chin over, lower down 1/2 way, repeat). [B]5 reps.
UH DHPUs[/B] (Afterthought gtg).....[B]2 + 2.

Rehab work: [/B]Stairmaster and Good Mornings in particular were felt in L/hamstring - - a good feeling. The slight pulling sensation lessened with time/reps and responded very well to post WO stretching.
[B]R.I.C.E. @ Home.....[/B]

[/I]

Chris Scott 11-10-2008 10:45 PM

Man, I hope I'm as psyched about my marriage after 35 years. What a great thing to see. Congratulations to both of you.

Nice workout, too!