CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 10-27-2008 05:29 PM

Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

[quote=Charles Bennington;432707]Completed a dip goal and got 2 DH PUs. Wow, great day. How's the stomach feeling?[/quote]

Actually Chuck, it feels good, thanks! No problem with meals Sat or yesterday. Haven't eaten enough yet today to have any issues. I think whatever has been happening (change in metabolism, dumping artificial sweeteners, and reaction from the flu shot) is going away.....

Charles Bennington 10-27-2008 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;432719]Actually Chuck, it feels good, thanks! No problem with meals Sat or yesterday. Haven't eaten enough yet today to have any issues. I think whatever has been happening (change in metabolism, dumping artificial sweeteners, and reaction from the flu shot) is going away.....[/QUOTE]

Those are 3 very real contributors. Hopefully it's all up hill from here.

Stephen R. Lampl 10-27-2008 06:48 PM

[quote=Charles Bennington;432751]Those are 3 very real contributors. Hopefully it's all up hill from here.[/quote]

Good to know. Thanks, guy!!

Patrick Haskell 10-28-2008 03:03 AM

Strong-looking day, Steve. Thanks for the unintentional reminder to take a day off after I get a flu shot next week. ;)

Stephen Smith 10-28-2008 03:30 AM

I don't know, with the old Navy flu shots I used to get, I found it helpful to work my arms out that day and the next to get rid of the knot the shot would invariably leave in my tricep...

Stephen R. Lampl 10-28-2008 09:54 AM

[quote=Patrick Haskell;432972]Strong-looking day, Steve. Thanks for the unintentional reminder to take a day off after I get a flu shot next week. ;)[/quote]

Thank you, Patrick. Yesterday was the best I've felt in a week.

[quote=Stephen Smith;432977]I don't know, with the old Navy flu shots I used to get, I found it helpful to work my arms out that day and the next to get rid of the knot the shot would invariably leave in my tricep...[/quote]

Steve,

Tho I was never in the service, I had buds who were (all different branches). I don't think any of them ever came away from their shots (flu or otherwise) with their arms intact.......:rofl:. According to some of them, it would have been less painful to have someone shoot them in the arm with a .22! :D

Stephen R. Lampl 10-28-2008 09:31 PM

[B][U]Tuesday, 10/28/08[/U]:[/B]

[B][I]Warm Up: Stationary Cycling
[/I][/B][I]10:00 / L5 / 95 RPM / 2.7 mi / HR 115

[B]Note: [/B]Today was a [U]really weird[/U] day for me. I wanted to concentrate on developing better endurance (wind), so I tried a "CFE-type" workout. I think I gained a little headway, but what doesn't make sense is that my pull-up capabilities went through the roof - - all of a sudden! Perhaps it was because I didn't wear myself out before doing them. I don't know.

[B]CFE (non-metcon) WO: Treadmill - run / walk.[/B]
60:00 minutes total / 4.41 miles / 690 Cal / 1.5 deg incline / HR avg 140 -160
[B]Runs: (Not timed)
.25 mi @ 5.2 MPH [/B](knee felt good, wind held up so increased slightly)
[B].30 mi @ 5.3 MPH [/B](still OK, so pushed it up a bit more)
[B].40 mi @ 5.5 MPH [/B](legs feeling really heavy, having trouble breathing)
[B].40 mi @ 6.0 MPH [/B](wanted to see if I could do it faster - same problems)
[B].20 mi @ 6.0 MPH [/B](legs shot - - running on fumes - short of breath)
[B].12 mi @ 6.0 MPH [/B](had to cut it shorter - starting to stumble/breath ragged).
Should have probably given myself more time between running bouts.
[B]Walking: (also not timed)
3.7 / 3.8 MPH between runs for recovery [/B](HR as low as 132 during this).
[B]4.2 for fast walk. Stepped it up to 4.5 MPH for most of last 20:00.
[/B]Felt good overall - - have increased distance I can run to .4 mi from .25!

[B]Core Work [/B](Not timed)
GHD Sit-ups 10 X 5 - - a little dizzy on first two, think I went up too quickly
Back Extensions 10 X 5

[B]Strength Training
Pull-ups [/B][B][COLOR=Red](ALL Dead Hang - - PR!!!)
[/COLOR][/B][/I][I][COLOR=Black](Counted partials as "Fail").[/COLOR][/I] [I]1:30 to 2:00 or more rest between approaches.[/I]
[I][B][COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black] OH grip: 2 + 2 + 1; close grip 2 (F3), regular - (F1), 1. [COLOR=Red]Total = 8![COLOR=Black]
UH grip: 3 + 1 ("L" hang - F2 & 3), 3 reg. + 2 (F3) + 1 "L hang + 2. [COLOR=Red]Total = 12!
[COLOR=Blue]Total Pull-ups / Chins = 20!! (I've NEVER done that before - - ever!!)[COLOR=Black]

Shoulder Press
45# X 10 WU
65# X 3
85# X 3
105# X 3 [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Red][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]Felt strong to this point - - form felt good.
[B]115 X 1 (F2)!! Yuk!!! [/B]Got stuck and could not break past this point.
Worked on muscle memory and reps - hope this helps.....
[B]115# X 2 (Push Press), F3. [/B](Really tired at this point).
[B]85# X 9 (SPs again)
85# X 8 (F9)
85# X 8 (F9)
45# X 25 (F26)
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]Overall, a good day, I think![/I]

Stephen Smith 10-28-2008 10:11 PM

Very nice jump forward with the pull-ups, Stephen! Also looking good with putting weight overhead... It definitely looks like you're doing things right!

I don't think you need to worry too much about concentrating on your endurance at this point. Your endurance will continue to improve just by doing the WOD's. CFE is the way to go if you have any endurance-specific goals, such as competing in an endurance race later on, but you definitely haven't exhausted the gains that are to be had just from straight crossfit yet.

Stephen R. Lampl 10-28-2008 10:21 PM

[quote=Stephen Smith;433797]Very nice jump forward with the pull-ups, Stephen! Also looking good with putting weight overhead... It definitely looks like you're doing things right!

I don't think you need to worry too much about concentrating on your endurance at this point. Your endurance will continue to improve just by doing the WOD's. CFE is the way to go if you have any endurance-specific goals, such as competing in an endurance race later on, but you definitely haven't exhausted the gains that are to be had just from straight crossfit yet.[/quote]

Thank you, Steve! Do you think I'll be okay if I just concentrate on trying to do the metcons? My wind absolutely SUCKS! (no pun intended). I get so winded just trying to run a short distance, plus I know my muscles are not working very efficiently, as I cannot handle the massive build-up of lactic acid as of yet. What's more frustrating (I'm not very patient!!!!) is that I now possess some of the strength necessary to do a number of the WODs, even if I scale them back, but I am hamstrung by my poor endurance.

Stephen Smith 10-28-2008 10:40 PM

Well, the conventional wisdom around here is that metcon is easier to gain than strength, so I would hesitate to recommend skimping on the strength workouts. At the starting levels of training you're gaining endurance even on pure strength days, especially if you're doing some version of the crossfit warm-up or an equivalent before the WOD. The program works really well out of the box, so I'd say keep on working on the WOD's and give it some more time to give you results.

In fact, it's more common for people to recommend doing the opposite of what you're talking about, to do a few months of Starting Strength prior to jumping straight into the WOD's.