CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 10-25-2008 12:59 PM

Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

[quote=Charles Bennington;431321]Are you just looking for ideas for the posterior chain?[/quote]

Actually Chuck, I'm looking for [U][I]anything[/I][/U] within my current capabilities, or stuff I can start to learn (with the strength and ability I now possess) to work the lower extremities without placing too much load on the R/knee and involving the post. chain, as well as really hitting the upper body and core.

If we had a real GHD bench, I'd start hitting the hamstrings and glutes, but I'm going to have to improvise - perhaps obtain a designated ankle holder or ??? GHD situps and other core stuff are going well.

I really want to hit the pull-ups and get my kip down. I think it's just timing at this point. I'm getting strong enough to consistently hold myself just below the bar (when I can't quite make it over) for 5 seconds without dropping any lower. I can also do three or four partial chins (chin over the bar if I don't drop lower than 1/2 way). I've also started doing weighted jumps/negatives and 5 sec. holds with the weight.

Stephen R. Lampl 10-25-2008 01:06 PM

[U][B]Saturday, 10/25/08[/B][/U][B]:

[/B][I]A.M.: Whole body hurts a bit. Think I'm really reacting to the flu shot I got Wed. Feel great otherwise.

4.0 mile slow walk with visiting daughter. 1:22.00 in our mountainous area. Threw in a couple of short, hard, uphill sprints. Knee felt good.
[/I]

Stephen R. Lampl 10-25-2008 07:15 PM

[quote=Stephen R. Lampl;431340][U][B]Saturday, 10/25/08[/B][/U][B]:

[/B][I]A.M.: Whole body hurts a bit. Think I'm really reacting to the flu shot I got Wed. Feel great otherwise.

4.0 mile slow walk with visiting daughter. 1:22.00 in our mountainous area. Threw in a couple of short, hard, uphill sprints. Knee felt good.
[/I][/quote]

P.M.
[I][B]Short Metcon[/B][/I]
[I][B]Uphill Sprints - - 125 yds; 2:00 rest between sprints.
[/B]Did six times (was going to try 10, but fried myself), [U]flat out, max effort[/U].
10 - 12% (5 - 6 deg) est grade.
[B]36.55 sec
35.48 sec
36.85 sec
38.63 sec
35.25 sec
33.82 sec

[/B]Wanted to do some strength work today, but I'm done - - put a fork in me!
[/I]

Charles Bennington 10-25-2008 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;431330]Actually Chuck, I'm looking for [U][I]anything[/I][/U] within my current capabilities, or stuff I can start to learn (with the strength and ability I now possess) to work the lower extremities without placing too much load on the R/knee and involving the post. chain, as well as really hitting the upper body and core.

If we had a real GHD bench, I'd start hitting the hamstrings and glutes, but I'm going to have to improvise - perhaps obtain a designated ankle holder or ??? GHD situps and other core stuff are going well.

I really want to hit the pull-ups and get my kip down. I think it's just timing at this point. I'm getting strong enough to consistently hold myself just below the bar (when I can't quite make it over) for 5 seconds without dropping any lower. I can also do three or four partial chins (chin over the bar if I don't drop lower than 1/2 way). I've also started doing weighted jumps/negatives and 5 sec. holds with the weight.[/QUOTE]

I'll find some good stuff for you, just give me a bit and I'll PM you a bunch of ideas and resources.

Stephen R. Lampl 10-25-2008 08:17 PM

[quote=Charles Bennington;431512]I'll find some good stuff for you, just give me a bit and I'll PM you a bunch of ideas and resources.[/quote]

Too cool! I owe you Big Time!

Charles Bennington 10-25-2008 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;431513]Too cool! I owe you Big Time![/QUOTE]

You don't owe me anything, ever. I'm just happy to feel useful!

Charles Bennington 10-26-2008 09:26 AM

You've got a PM

Stephen R. Lampl 10-26-2008 12:47 PM

[quote=Charles Bennington;431670]You've got a PM[/quote]

Thanks, Chuck!

[U][B]Sunday, 10/26/08[/B][/U][B]: [I]

Rest Day![/I][/B]

[I]Good news nutrition-wise. Yesterday was the first day in a month where I was able to eat a "normal", balanced meal without nausea or danger in "losing it." Feel pretty good today; stopped hurting, so maybe my fluish effects are waning too. Looking forward to "hitting it" again tomorrow.[/I]

Stephen R. Lampl 10-27-2008 05:12 PM

[B][U]Monday, 10/27/08[/U]:

[I]Physical Therapy. [/I][/B][I]
Going as well as can be expected, however there are signs of some anatomical issues at this point; possible due to scar tissue, knee joint degeneration, or ?? Follow-up probably necessary with an orthopedist.

[B]WARM-UP:[/B]
[B]Stationary Cycling [/B](for knee)
20:00 / L1 / 100 RPM / 4.1 miles. HR not monitored.

[B]METCON: Cycling Bouts - Maximal Effort (Stationary Cycle)
RPMs at/above 100 (do not allow to fall below 90).
Warm-up: [/B]5:00 min @ L3 - Baseline HR established at 110 BPM
[B]Cycle 1 mile @ L8 = 2:39. Recover to BL HR
Cycle .75 mi @ L8 = 2:13. Recover [/B](hardest bout - dropped to just above 90 before finish).
[B]Cycle .50 mi @ L8 = 1:35. Recover
Cycle .25 mi @ L8 = 0:50. Recover
Total time = 26:30 (with recovery periods)

STRENGTH:
Dips 10 X 3 [/B](This was a goal for the end of the week. Made it today!).
[B]Bench Press:
45# X 15 (WU)
135# X 3
155# X 3
175# X 2 (F-3) [/B]Felt strong until 3rd rep. Couldn't lock it out (RATS!!).
[B]135# X 10.
Straight-leg Dead Lift (Training)
45# bar X 10 X 3.
GTG Pull-ups [/B](Do three pull-ups or attempts / set, each approach, by ANY means possible)
[B]3 X 20 approaches. [/B]Got two full DH chins! Almost got a third! Mixed in "L" hand pull-ups and/or attempts, almost got a couple of kipping PUs in until I tried to figure out what I was doing and then couldn't repeat it.
[B]Cable Pull-Downs (Lat, single arm).[/B]
[B]50# X 10 X 3 X 2 (each arm).[/B]

Good day overall. Felt really good, though metcon killed me. Making great BW strength gains on pull-ups and dips (YES!!!).

[/I]

Charles Bennington 10-27-2008 05:15 PM

Completed a dip goal and got 2 DH PUs. Wow, great day. How's the stomach feeling?