CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best way to do weighted push-ups (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=69013)

Wim Lokate 07-27-2011 08:56 AM

Best way to do weighted push-ups

Most off the exercise in the WOD's I know how to do (or replace).
But what is the best way to do weighted push-ups, something with a back-pack with some weigts orso?
Sorry for the maybay domb question :-(

Steven Ngo 07-27-2011 09:01 AM

Re: Best way to do weighted push-ups

sure, you can do that. or have someone place weight plates on your back.

Jason Denny 07-27-2011 09:05 AM

Have a buddy place the weights on your back. They can also monitor you in case you fail and need the weights removed quickly. Also, if you get heavy enough, your buddy can just sit on your back. A lot safer than a stack of weights.

Wim Lokate 07-27-2011 09:10 AM

Okay, thanks guys, But I think I have to go for the back-pack because I train alone and I think its hard to get the weights on your back when you are alone :-)

Bob Katzianer 07-27-2011 09:32 AM

if you've got the money, weighted vests are nice

Wim Lokate 07-27-2011 10:18 AM

Okay, yes, thats a gereat idea to, Thanks!

Ahmed Rahman 07-27-2011 11:48 AM

yes i love weighted pushups, i have a backpack and just fill it with bags of sand, or bottles of sand etc...!

also another thing is you can create micro plates with different sized bottels. For example, i have a few lucazade mini bottles which are around i think 1-2kg as microplates.

Then i have the 1 litre cola bottles which are quite heavy, cant remember though how much they weight.

But you get my point correct? :)

Matt Thomas 07-27-2011 12:20 PM

This is just what I would do personally.

I'd say forget that and do do weighted dips instead. There's no way I could get enough weight on my back to tax myself at low reps. And if that is the goal, then weighted dips would hit all the same muscles, they're much easier to load, and it would be able to provide ample stress at low reps.

Or I'd bench. Not sure why CF never programs that one, but I feel like it'd be a good sub.

Jason Denny 07-27-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Thomas (Post 965963)
This is just what I would do personally.

I'd say forget that and do do weighted dips instead. There's no way I could get enough weight on my back to tax myself at low reps. And if that is the goal, then weighted dips would hit all the same muscles, they're much easier to load, and it would be able to provide ample stress at low reps.

Or I'd bench. Not sure why CF never programs that one, but I feel like it'd be a good sub.

We did both from Mainsite. Last week we did weighted Pushups and this week we did weighted dips. A few weeks ago we did weighted pull-ups, those were the easiest to load. The push-ups were the trickiest to get a heavy load on the back. Dips were not bad but I had trouble getting loaded up past 140lbs and still maintain my center of gravity (doing ring dips). Just found a 140lb buddy to get on my shoulders and had him wear a weight vest.

Wim Lokate 07-27-2011 02:24 PM

Okay, thanks guys, lotts off good info. To me it seems difficult to to add so much weight that you can do only 1 rep.
Dips could be a good substitute.