CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   14.4 Tips and strategies (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=86578)

Richard Colon 03-21-2014 08:05 AM

Re: 14.4 Tips and strategies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance Neumeyer (Post 1225001)
Not nearly as many women are getting 180+; looks like this is the first workout where the men will likely have a higher score than the women.

For sure. Briggs and a couple of others might skew the charts a bit and jump way out but the standards are equal yet the capability of male/vs female is not.

I'm a somewhat normal dude (I'm strong and 205lbs) with $hit work capacity and overall ability compared to any high level FEMALE Crossfitter but I will outrow them - every day.

You will see lots of men hit the 200+ range. They just push through that rower a lot faster. Men will have something like a full minute or more available for them to do the same exact work as a female because of that row. I mean Khalipa in a comfortable but decent pace Row is probably pulling faster than any females PR. Its just how it is.

Nicholas Wheeler 03-21-2014 08:07 AM

Gymnastics grips - yay or nay for the T2B?

Jenni Hartman 03-21-2014 08:35 AM

My strategy is steady on the row (I'm short, shooting to finish in under 4:00), pace the T2B and wall balls, do singles on the cleans, and hopefully get a few muscle-ups at the end.

Also, setting up your equipment in a way that will assist you when you get tired - don't make it to spread apart to waste time on transitions, and blocks/etc so you don't have to jump to get up to the pull-up bar or rings.

Jeff Simon 03-21-2014 08:46 AM

I'm looking forward to this one.

It'll be a bit of chaos as the box I go to only has two rowers, but we'll make it work.

I'm thinking strict muscle-ups because I still dont understand this kipping thing:smiley_ev

Vic McQuaide 03-21-2014 08:50 AM

Its really a muscle up workout.. don't go to fast on the rower, get thru the T2B rest on the wall balls, cleans are harder than you would think.. then MU with as much time you have left.

Tim Squires 03-21-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth Martino (Post 1225019)
I am withholding judgement until I see Sam Briggs' score.

Briggs with a 249.

Michael Cook 03-21-2014 10:21 AM

I think Frohning will be able to get past the rower and get 260+.

Thomas Cofer 03-21-2014 06:24 PM

Did anybody else find the ttb to be horrible lol. got 186 tonight and feel good so if time permits Ill do it again

William Garrett 03-21-2014 06:41 PM

I just plan on going at the row on a moderate 2000m pace which is 1:48ish/500m for me and save it for everything else for the chipping. You can kill yourself off on the row and make the rest of this a miserable experience.

I plan on sets of 10 with 5 seconds rest on the T2B and Wallballs, and just keep moving. 10 cleans per minute if time allows (based on my Grace time + fatigued). Goal is not to break up into single with huge pauses between.

Hope to make it to the MU's at the 12:30ish mark, stare at the rings some, and muster up 1-2 MU's. Havent done many since my shoulder tweak in November.

Chuck Golden 03-21-2014 07:28 PM

Is there any different strategy for rowing for calories instead of distance? Damper setting?

I read one deal that said you stick to whatever pace allows you to get full power on every pull. It said that maintaining power per stroke was more important than maintaining stroke rate. :shrug: