CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   July: 'thruster' challenge (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48126)

Ted Apollo 06-26-2009 11:17 PM

July: 'thruster' challenge

so starting in july:

(4 weeks) 3x's a week (9,15,21 reps) #65,#95,#115,#135 (#45,#65,#75,#95)

this schedule means that on the first monday you will do 9 #65 reps, then 15 #65 reps on wednesday, and then 21 #65 reps on friday. the following week you do the same rep schedule but with an increased weight of #95 and the following weeks proceed with #115 & followed by #135.

*feel free to scale the weight down or up for your needs. the main thing is to complete the rep scheme 3x's a week with an increasing load every week.

Adam Walker Gurule 06-26-2009 11:36 PM

Re: July: 'thruster' challenge

Oh cool.

Matt Hitt 06-26-2009 11:42 PM

HMMMM.............Haven't done a month workout challenge like this before. I'll finish my own personal "30 days with no beer" challenge a few days into July. I may have to get in on this one. Think the Rx'd weights should be manageable (see what I say at the end of the month) :smiley_ev

William Jackson 06-26-2009 11:52 PM

as Rx'd, unbroken?

Scott Moore. 06-27-2009 05:24 AM

I haven't been doing too well with challenges, but I'm still going to keep trying.

I'm in.

Ted Apollo 06-27-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Jackson (Post 614818)
as Rx'd, unbroken?

definitely try to do them unbroken. but as it gets heavier doing them unbroken might not be possible. actually it shouldn't be possible. if you can do the 4th week unbroken then think about making the weight heavier to start. maybe #95,#115,#135,#155? last time kirez did (i think) #135,#155,#175,#195. he is a beast though

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Moore (Post 614867)
I haven't been doing too well with challenges, but I'm still going to keep trying.

I'm in.

good to see you back scott!

a good idea for everyone is to make sure you subscribe to this thread so you don't forget about it.

Mark Martinez 06-27-2009 12:17 PM

This looks interesting. I'll start this on Monday. I'm horrible at keeping routines though and I'm cringing at the thought of 135 x 21 already. You guys do these before or after WOD?

Mike Kelley 06-27-2009 01:58 PM

I don't believe this starts until NEXT Monday, July 6th....right?

Ted Apollo 06-27-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Martinez (Post 615029)
This looks interesting. I'll start this on Monday. I'm horrible at keeping routines though and I'm cringing at the thought of 135 x 21 already. You guys do these before or after WOD?

i would suggest doing them before your wod. it is only one set and can almost be part of your warm up or skill work. doing the thrusters after a wod might be tough if your tired. your form might suffer and form is probably the most important aspect of this challenge. inherently you would think this challenge is about strength, but balance & coordination seem to more of the limiting factor when performing thrusters then strength..

Ted Apollo 06-27-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kelley (Post 615075)
I don't believe this starts until NEXT Monday, July 6th....right?

since the 1st is on wednesday starting on the 6th would still give us 4 full weeks in july to complete this challenge, but if someone wants to start this week that would be fine. as long as it is 3x's a week with progressive resistance for 4 weeks then the challenger is rx'd.

actually last year when i did this challenge i ended up continuing it on my own for an additional two weeks getting up to #155. i was progressing so well i didn't want to end the challenge until i stalled.

personally i would like a few days break after completing the 'june burpup challenge' before i start this. so i will be beginning on the 6th.