CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Alyson Terranova 01-01-2009 03:22 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!
 
Hi! I'm so in for a No Grains/No Sugars support group! I started eating paleo zone back in October and the crazy progress I saw with how my body changed and in improvement in my metcons was amazing. I admit to having some issues with strength stuff during my strict zone days, but now that I'm doing a modified zone (11p 10c 28f) my strength seems to be much better. The holidays were rough for me eating and I can't say how happy I am that they are over! I wasn't horrible with my eating, but I like Christmas cookies, so I did have them (not in excess, but still). Like others have mentioned, I feel like crap almost immediately after eating grains and sugars, and really just like the way I feel when cutting those out of my diet.

I do make some small exceptions to the paleo part of my diet and that usually falls during breakfast where I add some milk to my coffee (recently switched to coconut milk, which also helps with my fat intake in the morning), and I will eat sheep's milk yogurt with berries if I haven't planned my breakfast enough in advance. Thankfully I've been making frittatas and some other yummy things for breakfast so I haven't had the yogurt in about a month.

That's the extent of my diet. Starting today, I went to just paleo to kind of 'reboot' my eating before I go back to work on Monday. Once I go food shopping this weekend and plan my meals for the week, I'll be back to my modified zone.

So Amber, thanks for making this thread! I'll definitely be stopping by frequently.

If anyone has any recipes that they love, please share! I'm always looking for new recipes!

Ben Chapman 01-01-2009 04:18 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!
 
I am an addict who wants to quit too.


... I'm never giving up chocolate completely though. Especially organic chocolate.

Samantha Aurelio 01-01-2009 04:54 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyson Terranova (Post 483124)
Hi! I'm so in for a No Grains/No Sugars support group! I started eating paleo zone back in October and the crazy progress I saw with how my body changed and in improvement in my metcons was amazing. I admit to having some issues with strength stuff during my strict zone days, but now that I'm doing a modified zone (11p 10c 28f) my strength seems to be much better. The holidays were rough for me eating and I can't say how happy I am that they are over! I wasn't horrible with my eating, but I like Christmas cookies, so I did have them (not in excess, but still). Like others have mentioned, I feel like crap almost immediately after eating grains and sugars, and really just like the way I feel when cutting those out of my diet.

I do make some small exceptions to the paleo part of my diet and that usually falls during breakfast where I add some milk to my coffee (recently switched to coconut milk, which also helps with my fat intake in the morning), and I will eat sheep's milk yogurt with berries if I haven't planned my breakfast enough in advance. Thankfully I've been making frittatas and some other yummy things for breakfast so I haven't had the yogurt in about a month.

That's the extent of my diet. Starting today, I went to just paleo to kind of 'reboot' my eating before I go back to work on Monday. Once I go food shopping this weekend and plan my meals for the week, I'll be back to my modified zone.

So Amber, thanks for making this thread! I'll definitely be stopping by frequently.

If anyone has any recipes that they love, please share! I'm always looking for new recipes!

---HI ALYSON! :D


Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Chapman (Post 483166)
I am an addict who wants to quit too.


... I'm never giving up chocolate completely though. Especially organic chocolate.

Chocolate is Godly!!!!

John Penner 01-01-2009 05:52 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!
 
Hi my name is John & I'm an addict, :pepper:
welcome Tim

sugar, artificial sweeteners, Habbitually grabbing diet sodas, eating some of my kids' food or snacks while makeing it for them, eating late, you name it.

so I will get some rules layed out for myself soon. I'm thinking about going hard-core Paleo when I'm in controll.
1. M-F all day until dinner starts & right back after 1 platefull. (75% +- will be Paleo dinner)
2. weekends will try to be Paleo 4-5 of 6 meals.
3. also going to stay away from constant stacking (even if it is almonds)
4. I love peanuts & peanut butter so I'm going Paleo & stopping peanuts.
5. Going to try 0 all sugar 100%. going to see how it goes w/ my wife who enjoys eating icecream as a family 3 or 4 times a month.(I might have to not be OCD & take a few bites) but I will let you know for sure.:kicking0:

That's enough for now, will check in soon.

Emily Maisannes 01-01-2009 06:18 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!
 
Hi, my name is Emily and I'm an addict.

My diet has been getting back into shape slowly, but I'm going to make a concerted effort to try to kick this addiction. My weakness is in the salty and starchy stuff. I'm going to be pretty strict on no sugar no grains for the next three weeks. Then I'm going to start targeting Zone aggressively.

I have noticed that after having a cleaner diet, my digestive tract really doesn't tolerate cheating well. I had 2 slices of pizza for lunch today (horrible cheat, but I wasn't home and it was the only food available) and paid for it for the rest of the day. I had enchiladas (egg substitute crepes instead of tortillas) and a salad for dinner and am feeling a ton better.

Alyson Terranova 01-01-2009 06:31 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samantha Aurelio (Post 483181)
---HI ALYSON! :D




Chocolate is Godly!!!!


Hehe...hey Sam! I agree, everyone needs chocolate in their life at some point!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck to everyone who is starting up/keeping up no grains or sugar!!!

Lisa Gallagher 01-01-2009 06:43 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!
 
Hi, my name is Lisa and I'm an addict!

I started trying to do the zone diet on 12/28, but slipped last night during the new years celebrations. After reading all the posts in the forums, I think I am going to try and make it a paleo/zone more than just strict zone. I do eat dairy as part of my diet, but I can probably cut out most of it.

I am definitely still craving carbs like crazy and feel pretty hungry most of the time. My biggest weakness is cereal. I love a giant bowl (or two) of cereal after my morning workouts... I also love it any other time of the day. It's usually Kashi Go Lean (the high protein/fiber) with skim or 2% milk. I am wondering if I continue to have the cereal right after my mornings workouts with soy or rice milk, then keep my diet strict zone/paleo the rest of the time, if I will still reap the benefits of paleo/zone? Does anyone have any thoughts? I think this would make it alot easier for me to stick with, but I dont want to completely defeat the purpose of these diets.

I am 28/f/5'4''/135 approx 20% BF. My goal is to get down to approx 16% BF. I usually do CF + CFE workouts or running or biking or swimming or spinning, which comes out to about 1.5-2.5 hours of working out six days a week. I sit at a desk the rest of the day. I figure I could use the extra fuel after my work outs, but maybe its better to go completely cold turkey? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to cut carbs and sugar out of my diet a couple of times and failed miserably. Of course, my motivations this time around are alot different (I want to perform well and feel good as opposed to just being skinny). How long does it usually take for the low energy and carb cravings to go away and the benefits of the diet to kick in?

Also, are soy/rice milk and egg substitute paleo?

Good luck to all of you with your new years challenges!

Thanks for the support.

Samantha Aurelio 01-01-2009 06:52 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Gallagher (Post 483247)
I am definitely still craving carbs like crazy and feel pretty hungry most of the time. My biggest weakness is cereal. I love a giant bowl (or two) of cereal after my morning workouts... I also love it any other time of the day. It's usually Kashi Go Lean (the high protein/fiber) with skim or 2% milk. I am wondering if I continue to have the cereal right after my mornings workouts with soy or rice milk, then keep my diet strict zone/paleo the rest of the time, if I will still reap the benefits of paleo/zone? Does anyone have any thoughts? I think this would make it alot easier for me to stick with, but I dont want to completely defeat the purpose of these diets.

Also, are soy/rice milk and egg substitute paleo?

Good luck to all of you with your new years challenges!

Thanks for the support.

Try almond milk, I switched and fell in love :)
Also, I really crave a bowl of cereal hah. I had a bowl of granola and pecans with sliced apples and dried cranberries. All I needed was milk and I would've been the happiest girl on earth. Hah
And yeah, Paleo/Zone is wayy cooler. Paleo = way of life :D

Happy New Year! & Good Luck! I'll be keeping check :love:

Alyson Terranova 01-01-2009 07:30 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Gallagher (Post 483247)
I have tried to cut carbs and sugar out of my diet a couple of times and failed miserably. Of course, my motivations this time around are alot different (I want to perform well and feel good as opposed to just being skinny). How long does it usually take for the low energy and carb cravings to go away and the benefits of the diet to kick in?

For me it took about 2 weeks of going strict paleo zone for the tiredness/carb cravings to go away. My first week it was really more me being tired than anything else. Week 2 was when I was really craving carbs (especially cereal!), I broke and had a bowl of cereal after a workout one night, and felt pretty crappy afterward, so that kept me going without the carbs after that. As for my performance, that probably started to pick up for me around the end of week 2/start of week 3 once my body adjusted and the tiredness was gone, and after that, the results that I saw were amazing. Again, this is how it was for me, I'm sure it's different for everyone. Good luck!!!!

Lisa Gallagher 01-01-2009 07:37 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!
 
Two other questions:

Does paleo restrict the amount of food you eat like zone does? I just starting reading about paleo online but I havent figured that out yet.

Are beans paleo? It seems like people say they eat beans, but I thought they were off limits.


Thanks.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.