CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Brian Bedell 01-08-2009 07:52 AM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

John,
If you are satisfied that 15 blocks is your correct "blockage" ( i just made that word up) and you want to become more lean, then you should eat 15P, 15C, and 15F blocks. Not as many veggies as possible! lol When your performance suffers due to your leanness (you will know when this happens) and not due to your lack of sleep, cheating ways, etc, then you do 2x fat for two weeks. If that does not help, then do 3x fat, and so on. Seems as though the performance goes south at or a lil' below 10%BF, but of course everyone's a lil different.

This is the general CF advice on the matter, but it worked for me.

Amber Karnes 01-08-2009 08:12 AM

I'll be following this thread. I'm vegetarian (don't eat dairy/eggs either) and have been cutting out all grains/starches and sugar since the 1st and following the zone as closely as possible. Lost 4 pounds already! I'm having to change the way I cook a bit and be creative since a lot of my quick, weeknight standby meals involved a grain or whole grain pasta or whatever.

So far I haven't run into any cravings or had any crazy binges which makes me realize that my blood sugar is probably far more stable! Hooray for that. Will keep you guys posted as I go along. As long as I plan and keep the fridge stocked this seems to be no problem.

Amber Mathwig 01-08-2009 10:52 AM

Yesterday was an epic fail for me in the gym, and I can definitly say most of it is related to diet choices of late. I'm going to go into details on my blog about it eventually, but for now - it's back to zoning and no grains/little sugar. I found myself able to stop after just two "Petit Fours" today (received in a care package). They were good, but not outstanding. I just knew that I did not want/need/crave any more.

Check out my paleo blog regarding eating out in restaurants! Anyone care to share their favorite paleo-friendly restaurants? Or how do you make a meal out grain/sugar free? Or another great question - how do you steer your family and friends away from the crappy restaurants?

Samantha Aurelio 01-08-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig (Post 488122)
Yesterday was an epic fail for me in the gym, and I can definitly say most of it is related to diet choices of late. I'm going to go into details on my blog about it eventually, but for now - it's back to zoning and no grains/little sugar. I found myself able to stop after just two "Petit Fours" today (received in a care package). They were good, but not outstanding. I just knew that I did not want/need/crave any more.

Check out my paleo blog regarding eating out in restaurants! Anyone care to share their favorite paleo-friendly restaurants? Or how do you make a meal out grain/sugar free? Or another great question - how do you steer your family and friends away from the crappy restaurants?

Great blog!!!!!! :thanx:

John Penner 01-08-2009 10:54 PM

Brian, thanks. I didn't want to count broccolli, spinach, cauliflower & lettuce, but apples, bananas, or carrots might be easy to count. I guess its just about how close I want to be.

0 sugar again::pepper:
very little grain throughout the week:)
sticking to my plan of 0 sugars/0 junk/0 grains (away from family meals):super:

Brian, I'm going to get my Zone book out & dial in my blockage:D\
fat % who really knows w/o going to some university or a gym w/ capabilities.

I've got a friend who is a football coach, he might have access to a caliper(who knows if its calibrated), but I might give it a try.:shrug:

Amber Karnes 01-09-2009 06:32 AM

Friday is my weigh in day, down another pound this week. That's 5 pounds in two weeks since cutting grains and sugar. That's a great rate of weight loss as far as my body goes. Gonna keep this up. My husband was eating tortilla chips and salsa last night and it just about killed me but I refrained. Glad I did.

Samantha Aurelio 01-09-2009 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Karnes (Post 488806)
Friday is my weigh in day, down another pound this week. That's 5 pounds in two weeks since cutting grains and sugar. That's a great rate of weight loss as far as my body goes. Gonna keep this up. My husband was eating tortilla chips and salsa last night and it just about killed me but I refrained. Glad I did.

Congratulations! :pepper:
On both accounts, I know I'm not good with resisting, good for you! :highfive:
And isn't it amazing how much weight we hold onto thanks to sugar/grains? :o

Brian Bedell 01-09-2009 08:00 AM

John, yes a million cups of broccoli and cauliflower, etc. is a pain in the arse--and those darn things are so big. I usually just count a cup of that stuff is a block. Can't be bothered. It is often easier to just sub more fat b/c it is smaller and easier to measure (ex. make a 4 block meal 4p, 2c, 6f). I also eat black and red kidney beans some. They are not paleo, but are zone. Very easy to measure. I don't agree that everything non-paleo is "bad" for you.

Kerry Guere 01-09-2009 10:21 AM

Well peeps, its been a week. I weighed and measured this morning. I lost 3lbs and 1/2 inch on my hips. :pepper: Pretty good results for one week. Cant wait to see what week two has in store. :D

Until next time....

Kerry Guere 01-09-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Karnes (Post 488806)

Great job!! :pepper: I would have a very, very hard time resisting chips and salsa. Great job on that too!!!