CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 11-08-2008 10:32 PM

Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

[quote=Patrick Haskell;441881]Rest up, Steve. Positive vibes -> It's just a mild pull. At least you weren't sprinting this time. Keep loose and focus on other activities. Got rings? ;)[/quote]

Hi Patrick!

Thanks for the well-wishes and encouragement! Followed some of Rip's advice [URL]http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700[/URL] (w/f/s) today and hit basically only cardio stuff, but it mildly stressed the hamstrings, then I stretched with basically full mobility after getting the kinks out. Looks as though this thing will heal very quickly if I mind my "Ps and Qs."

Gotta wait until next month or so to buy the rings. Spent more than my share on stuff this month (DMax ball, BOSU, jump rope, etc.). Slowly building up an arsenal........:D

Stephen R. Lampl 11-08-2008 10:40 PM

[quote=Lee Ann McCall;441898]Hey, Steve. I'm back from the dead and wanted to stop by to see how you were doing. Like on of the posters above, I also checked out about the time you got your first pull up back. This is a TON of progress!

Sorry to hear about the hamstring. hopefully it's a minor pull that will heal in a week or so. You are right - getting old TOTALLY sucks!

I've been sick so I haven't been doing too much, but hope to be back for real soon.

In the meantime, I wanted to send you good thoughts for a speedy recovery from the injury and kudos for all the hard work!!!:highfive:[/quote]

Hi Lee Ann,

So glad to hear you're back and at it! Thanks for your concerns and thoughts for a speedy recovery. Things went very well at the globo today - - just concentrated on rehab-friendly stuff (basically, cardio); Hammy feels fantastic. If things go this well (and I don't do anything [I][B]stupid[/B][/I], I see myself being back to full strength in 4 to 6 weeks, perhaps less, per Rip.......

Thanks too for all your encouragement too! It really helps. Besides, can't keep an old goat down!!

Stephen R. Lampl 11-08-2008 10:56 PM

[U][B]Saturday, 11/08/08[/B][/U][B]:

[I]HAMSTRING REHAB DAY #1

Warm-up
Stationary Cycling: [/I][/B][I]10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.7 Mi / HR to 100.

[B]Moderate Cardio
Elliptical Trainer: [/B]20:00 / L5 / 85 RPM avg. / 5.6 Mi / HR to 140
[B]Note:[/B] Felt this one gently in my L/hamstring; no pain whatsoever, just a gentle tugging which lessened and could not be felt at the end of the WO.
[U]Recovery[/U]: 2:15 from 140 BPM to 110 BPM. Coming down!!

[B]Cool Down:
Easy Row - C2 Rower. 13:12. [/B]2.5K / 2:38 avg pace per 500m /Damper @ 7.5

[B]Core Work:
10 X 5 GHD Sit-ups
10 X 5 Back Extensions

R.I.C.E. and copious stretching at home.
Good Mornings w/ no weight and w/ PVC pole.
10 X 2 and 10 X 1.

[/B]This was a very good day. Both R/knee and L/hamstring felt great, stable, and strong. Minimal discomfort during exercise with hamstring. Little or no pain. Will continue with rehab WOs which place normal, anatomical function and stresses on the hamstring, with attention given to slow addition of incremental weight-imposed stress over the course of the next 4 to 6 weeks. According to Coach Rip, this is the most sensible way to rehab a muscle-strain related injury, especially if the injury is not severe and the rehab exercise is well-tolerated (refer [/I][URL]http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700[/URL]) - - w/f/s.

Helen Lawson 11-09-2008 12:57 PM

Wow Steve, sorry to hear about the hamstring. You just can't catch a break! At least you're trying which is more than i can say for most (non-crossfit) people.

Charles Bennington 11-09-2008 04:57 PM

That's rough man. I'd let you borrow one of my hamstring for a bit if I could.

Stephen R. Lampl 11-09-2008 07:09 PM

[quote=Helen Lawson;442212]Wow Steve, sorry to hear about the hamstring. You just can't catch a break! At least you're trying which is more than i can say for most (non-crossfit) people.[/quote]

Thanks, Helen. Well.........I guess getting older is kinda the pits, but at least I'm getting healthy while I'm busting things (LOL!!). The tear appears to be minor, so it should heal quickly. Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Stephen R. Lampl 11-09-2008 07:10 PM

[quote=Charles Bennington;442335]That's rough man. I'd let you borrow one of my hamstring for a bit if I could.[/quote]

Hey thanks, Chuck! I know you would too! Looks like I got off lucky. I can tell it's already better and it's only been two days. Following Rip's muscle injury rehab program and going to take it very easy throughout the process. With luck, I could be back up to snuff in a month!

Stephen R. Lampl 11-09-2008 07:14 PM

[B][U]Sunday, 11/09/08[/U]:[/B]

[B][I]REST DAY.

[/I][/B][I]Left hamstring feels really good. It's not too tight, but have been GTG stretching it all day and massaging it to promote good blood flow through the injury.
[/I]

Bob Guere 11-09-2008 07:35 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;442434][B][U]Sunday, 11/09/08[/U]:[/B]

[B][I]REST DAY.

[/I][/B][I]Left hamstring feels really good. It's not too tight, but have been GTG stretching it all day and massaging it to promote good blood flow through the injury.
[/I][/QUOTE]

Keep it loose and don't push it too soon. But you know that! ;)

Stephen R. Lampl 11-09-2008 07:49 PM

[quote=Bob Guere;442449]Keep it loose and don't push it too soon. But you know that! ;)[/quote]

Thanks, Bob! Yeah, gotta be a good boy. Wife is watching me like a hawk and will have me for breakfast if I am not sensible! :D