CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Effective Post-Workout Nutrition? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68629)

David Strand 07-10-2011 07:11 PM

Effective Post-Workout Nutrition?

Quick question on post workout protein:
After workouts, I currently drink one scoop of Met-RX Protein Plus Powder with milk. How effective is this? From my admittedly minimal knowledge of nutrition, it ought to be excellent: it features both whey and casein protein, and isn't painfully expensive. Additionally, when working out on vacation I drink Muscle Milk, and was wondering how effective/useful it is.
Whatever the answer is, thanks for your time.

Andy Gann 07-10-2011 07:16 PM

Re: Effective Post-Workout Nutrition?

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Strand (Post 958777)
Quick question on post workout protein:
After workouts, I currently drink one scoop of Met-RX Protein Plus Powder with milk. How effective is this? From my admittedly minimal knowledge of nutrition, it ought to be excellent: it features both whey and casein protein, and isn't painfully expensive. Additionally, when working out on vacation I drink Muscle Milk, and was wondering how effective/useful it is.
Whatever the answer is, thanks for your time.

My understanding (and what I'm trying right now) is a 2:1 carb : protein PWO shake. I think it's most important to replenish glycogen and the 30 minutes post workout is the best time. My drink is about 30g of carb (waxy maze) and 15g of protein (whey).

David Strand 07-10-2011 08:31 PM

Andy, thanks for the reply, but one bit of confusion: Waxy maze? Is that the variety of carbohydrate or is that a company or..?

Also, out of curiosity, does anyone have a kind of in depth explanation for the physiological/digestive reasons for taking in carbs/protein after working out and how they help?

Shane Skowron 07-10-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Strand (Post 958791)
Andy, thanks for the reply, but one bit of confusion: Waxy maze? Is that the variety of carbohydrate or is that a company or..?

Also, out of curiosity, does anyone have a kind of in depth explanation for the physiological/digestive reasons for taking in carbs/protein after working out and how they help?

This isn't in depth. But it may get you in the right direction.

1) Exercise is catabolic. It breaks down muscle, no matter what type of exercise it is. When you consume high glycemic carbohydrates, you convince your body to release insulin. Insulin may also be released in the presence of other foods too, but high glycemic carbs are the best. Insulin is an anabolic hormone. It tells the body to rebuild broken muscles.
2) When you perform exercise for more than a few minutes in duration, you use glycogen from the liver and from the individual muscles that you used. Glycogen is essential to most forms of exercise. When you consume fructose, the body can store this as glycogen primarily in the liver. When you consume glucose, the body can store this as glycogen primarily in the muscles. Even if you don't consume carbohydrates immediately following a workout, the body still has mechanisms for refilling glycogen stores, but this is the best and fastest way to do it.
3) Consuming a little bit of protein has been shown in clinical studies to be more effective at recovery than carbohydrate alone. Ostensibly because protein is involved in muscle growth.

To your original question, it seems adequate. Taking that immediately after a workout would be a good way to achieve the above. I would also follow it up with a full meal if possible.

Andy Gann 07-11-2011 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Strand (Post 958791)

Waxy maze is a variety of carbohydrate ... Waxy Maize is a company .. i think? Google it.

Bryan Hood 07-11-2011 05:46 AM

Sweet potatoes are great. I usually eat an avocado, banana, some meat, handful of nuts and a fish oil pill. I also take a scoop of Glutamine and a scoop of Creatine.

Adam Dunn 07-11-2011 10:49 AM

KISS - chocolate milk works like a champ in my book

Ryan Earle 07-11-2011 10:56 AM

I have been using Opticen. http://www.atlargenutrition.com/products/opticen (use coupon code 1RM for 10% off).

I was doing Whey + Sweet Potato, then Whey + Fruit, then Whey + Waxy Maize -- but it was just annoying buying seperate stuff, mixing it together, prebaking a sweet potato -- so I use Opticen (which Chris Mason on these boards sells) -- it seems to work well for me and it doesn't have a lot of Fructose which is found in Gatorade, Chocolate Milk, etc...

Christopher G. Woods 07-11-2011 03:48 PM

Waxy Maize is a variety of corn, from which is derived a starch sold by many sports nutrition companies as a carbohydrate supplement. Personally, I like Now Foods Dextrose Powder.

Dana Rice 07-12-2011 08:52 AM

I second the Dextrose Powder by Now Foods. $10 for like 10lbs of it.

PWO Shake consists of 25g ON Natural Whey
40g Dextrose
5g Creatine from AtLarge
12oz aqua

Not quite 2:1, but has seemed to work pretty well for me.