CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Mat Frankel 03-12-2009 06:27 AM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

I'm just really starting to get into the Zone/Paleo and I am realizing and feeling the energy swings of having not eating certain foods. I still have dairy, cottage cheese and string cheese as snacks, but have cut out the WW bread. I also still have oatmeal in the morning so maybe its more zone? I am trying to figure out my block needs and trying to really break down my diet into nutrients since I function better on lower carbs. Hopefully i'll be able to figure it out and be on my way. You guys not having any grains/sugars are f'in determined. Great job. Look forward to talking with you all.

Tom Gerhard 03-12-2009 08:25 AM

Welcome, Mat! :welcome:

Yes, you will definitely feel different/better moving to such a diet. I'm trying hard to get to strict Paleo, but at the same time not stressing about it. I have a bowl of cereal and fruit every other day, but have nearly eliminated pasta, rice, beans, and bread.

I realize I'm just an experiment of one, but since starting this new food relationship, I've lost weight, I am sleeping better, have more energy/greater sense of well-being, and have less pain in my arthritic right shoulder. (Or it could just be from finishing my first Cindy. ;) )

Tom Gerhard 03-13-2009 07:11 AM

Yesterday was my first totally bread/pasta/rice/grain-free day I think ever (not that I'm proud of myself or anything ;) ) -- and it wasn't bad at all. I felt terrific all day.

Breakfast - 3 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, fruit smoothie (no dairy), coffee
Lunch - chicken wings, big salad with balsamic vinagarette, water
Snack - apple and cheese, water
Dinner - roast beef, carrots, snow peas, water

Does this qualify as Paleo? I hope so since it's what I'm aiming for.

Had a bowl of cereal this morning, but the rest of today (and days to come) will be similar to above.

Samantha Aurelio 03-13-2009 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=Tom Gerhard;540193]Yesterday was my first totally bread/pasta/rice/grain-free day I think ever (not that I'm proud of myself or anything ;) ) -- and it wasn't bad at all. I felt terrific all day.

Had a bowl of cereal this morning, but the rest of today (and days to come) will be similar to above.[/QUOTE]

dairy is not technically paleo but that's an amazing transition into paleo!! good job and congrats :D

Joe Bernard 03-13-2009 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=Tom Gerhard;540193]Yesterday was my first totally bread/pasta/rice/grain-free day I think ever (not that I'm proud of myself or anything ;) ) -- and it wasn't bad at all. I felt terrific all day.

Had a bowl of cereal this morning, but the rest of today (and days to come) will be similar to above.[/QUOTE]

Add in some more fat and this will be a good way of eating. Breakfast is good, but the rest could use more, especially dinner.

Tom Gerhard 03-13-2009 08:08 AM

Thank you, Samantha and Joe!

[QUOTE]Add in some more fat and this will be a good way of eating. Breakfast is good, but the rest could use more, especially dinner.[/QUOTE]

Joe - What do you suggest? Bacon? Peanut butter? Cheese? Nuts? Bacony, nutty, cheesy peanut butter? (Hmmm, I sense weekend kitchen experimentation may be in order.)

Amber Mathwig 03-13-2009 01:39 PM

:welcome: to the newbs and those who pop in and out (Jon!).

Ugh, I ate Snickers(s) today. Yes, there is an extra "s" in there for reason. I think I have been too lenient with my "one cookie a day" thing....leads to other stuff. Especially since the dessert bar guys INSIST on giving me 2 or more cookies even though I only hold up one finger (really, they think they are doing me a favor :shrug: )

Starting tomorrow, I'm down for 21 days of no dessert bar (or other associated foods). Anyone with me? [SIZE="1"](please, please, please)[/SIZE]

Renee Lee 03-13-2009 01:42 PM

[QUOTE=Amber Mathwig;540715]:welcome: to the newbs and those who pop in and out (Jon!).

Ugh, I ate Snickers(s) today. Yes, there is an extra "s" in there for reason. I think I have been too lenient with my "one cookie a day" thing....leads to other stuff. Especially since the dessert bar guys INSIST on giving me 2 or more cookies even though I only hold up one finger (really, they think they are doing me a favor :shrug: )

Starting tomorrow, I'm down for 21 days of no dessert bar (or other associated foods). Anyone with me? [SIZE="1"](please, please, please)[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

no more cookies!!!

Joe Bernard 03-13-2009 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=Tom Gerhard;540253]Joe - What do you suggest? Bacon? Peanut butter? Cheese? Nuts? Bacony, nutty, cheesy peanut butter? (Hmmm, I sense weekend kitchen experimentation may be in order.)[/QUOTE]

Any kind of fat, it's your call. I am partial to nuts (almonds, pecans, or walnuts), almond butter, chicken skin, and olive oil, but bacon and cheese work too. If you can afford it get nut butter instead of peanut butter. Peanut is a legume and has trans fat, plus nut butters taste way better than peanut butter :D Experiment away, I wish I had a kitchen at college to do some cooking. I want to make something even better than the bacon explosion, although that will be tough to do.

Regarding cheese, have you tried cutting out dairy for a month and then re-introducing it to see if it has any effect on you? Reason being is that it works for some but doesn't for others, I am part of the others. My bloating and acne went away after ditching dairy (except for eggs) and my performance improved noticeably.

Greg Glossop 03-13-2009 08:15 PM

Whats all this paleo and blocks stuff people keep talking about?!