CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Amber Mathwig 03-01-2009 10:40 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Aw, thanks, Sam. The basis of everything I've learned is from the senior members of this board....and an addiction to learning about nutrition.

Anyways, I have some thoughts and will PM you later as I'm currently procrastinating on showering and getting dressed for some mando-fun at work today. :D

Julie Parisien 03-02-2009 09:42 AM

Hey Amber - When I first saw video of Caity Matter I was surprised by her 'look'. I thought- hey she looks like me! She's no super ripped gymnast type and she rules the female crossfit world as of now. In thinking about my own stats (5'8" 165 - been there for a loooong time. I think my body likes this weight) I guess the fat% does not really matter if PR's are hit and I can run decently. I do suffer a bit on body weight stuff like dips (can't do em yet) and push ups. But otherwise everything is coming along well and more importantly I feel great! Thanks for your input and I am psyched to have some PHAT chicks to WOD with. There is room for all types in Crossfit, and its fun to compare what some body types are good (effecient) at doing compared to others.
I am really interested to hear what other people think about 'BIG' crossfitters. Are there any threads out there that you know of?

Amber Mathwig 03-02-2009 10:22 AM

The only thread I've seen is the "Biggest dude doing CF", which I think is still in the starting forum. All male thread......

I think my body really liked 170...that's where I maintained at for 3 years or so by cleaning up my eating Oxygen mag style and being very active in my everyday life. I dabbled in and out of CF for several months. I had only started paleo eating a month before going on deployment (dropped to about 168), so it'll be interesting to see what happens when I get back to my "normal" activity level, with CF and Paleo.

Brian Bedell 03-02-2009 05:01 PM

I just wanted to say that I completely fell off the wagon for the last 2 or so weeks. I am terrible and fat now. I am going on an all inclusive trip to the bahamas this weekend, and after that it is time to get back in shape.

Plus I needed extra food due to CFSB...aargh.

Marianne Urbanski 03-02-2009 05:30 PM

thanks for all your ideas.. (I tried to do multiple quotes, but I just can't get that down.)

Brian: I really would like to drop some fat (I am around 29% now according to zone calculations). I know that if I dropped about 5-7 lbs I would be able to move better. My performance is definitely better without sugar or grains, but I do indulge in a little dark chocolate..I can't stand the choc cravings!!So, I really do think measuring will be better for me so I can be sure I don't eat too much. Glad to know everyone is hungry!!

Amber: I am a vegetarian because I can't even imagine the idea of eating meat! :) Like Samantha, I started eating fish more since CF, because I just can't get enough protein-I used to do what she does.. pasta, nut butters, etc!! I do eat tofu and some cheese, but I prefer soy milk in my coffee! I eat ALL veggies, but my "snack" ones usually are the "easier" ones. I think I need to eat a little more fruit. It might help with some of the sweet cravings.

Renee: don't be so hard on yourself!! just read through this thread!! I had a really bad weekend last weekend and I felt like crap!! (this weekend I did pretty good, but I did have a couple--literally only 2--bites of my boyfriend's cheesecake.

I am ok to measure.. I just need to suck it up and do it. Yes, I will even measure my wine (not on the weekends when I am out.. that is too weird!).. :)

thanks again for everybody's help and support.. (now can someone tell me how to do multiple quotes?) :)

Amber Mathwig 03-02-2009 06:02 PM

Have fun, Brian!

Marianne - :D Maybe you need to try a bacon explosion? :rofl:

Brian Bedell 03-02-2009 06:19 PM

Thanks Amber, I sure will!

Have you seen/tried that bacon wrapped sausage thingy circulating around the internet. My GF made it, very delicious. No grains!

Marianne Urbanski 03-02-2009 06:19 PM

[quote=Amber Mathwig;530903]

Marianne - :D Maybe you need to try a bacon explosion? :rofl:[/quote]

believe me.. I haven't eaten meat since 1978 and It is only since starting crossfit that I actually am missing protein (and that includes 2 pregnancies and live births! ) I have never felt the protein deficiency as much.

Has anyone ever used the protein powders or shakes?

Amber Mathwig 03-02-2009 06:30 PM

Marianne - I'm actually eating a combo of Muscle Milk and ground flaxseed right now, looks/tastes like oatmeal. I usually mix with a fruit, but I'm out. Muscle Milk is pretty low in sugar and carbs compared to other protein powders I've used.

Brian - She made you a bacon explosion? Alright, that makes her cool again. She still should squat.

Brian Bedell 03-02-2009 06:35 PM

Yes, she made the bacon explosion! Def. got an extra "star" for that, and added cheese! Everyone should squat more, yes!

(oh, by the way PR BS for me today at 1x5@335)