CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Harley Jennings 02-27-2009 12:39 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

[QUOTE]Last night, we threw a leftover lemon cake into the burn barrel (got to fund amusement somewhere) just to see what would happen.[/QUOTE]

This is borderline sacrilegious Amber. The lemon cake didn't burn because IT didn't want to burn.

Peter Brzezinka 02-27-2009 02:52 PM

Had a terrible day today in a sense of sugar low. Stuck to zone but felt rotten. This is 5 days in. Any advices? I held out til dinner and ate an apple and nectarine along with cottage cheese and macadamias. Trained but was really just 30 mins of technique and a couple heavy oly lifts, nothing too carb draining. Is the idea of going 2 weeks solid before incorporating a 24hr insulin spike a good idea or should I do it after one week strict?

Rachel Canning 02-27-2009 09:07 PM

That is pretty disgusting about the cake! I think the same thing would happen if you tried to burn a twinkie. Nasty!

Samantha Aurelio 02-27-2009 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=Harley Jennings;528753]This is borderline sacrilegious Amber. The lemon cake didn't burn because IT didn't want to burn.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: devil-cake!

John Penner 02-27-2009 10:51 PM

hey Amber, i'm back & sick & tired of those sugar cravings:ranting2:, need to go no sweets (real or artificial) like you guys are talking about. worked for me before Thanksgiving.

Samantha Aurelio 02-28-2009 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=John Penner;529168]hey Amber, i'm back & sick & tired of those sugar cravings:ranting2:, need to go no sweets (real or artificial) like you guys are talking about. worked for me before Thanksgiving.[/QUOTE]

You can do it!!!!! :pepper:

throw the junk out. buy yourself some scrumptious organic foods. i recommend frozen fruits for 'treats' :) My sinner = frozen mango. DEE-LISHH

:D

Amber Mathwig 02-28-2009 10:41 AM

Harley, Rachel, Sam - Peanut butter cookies DO burn. :D Although the smaller mass of the cookie may have contributed to that. I'm glad y'all find this as amusing as I did.

Peter - I'm not to well versed on this insulin spike thing. What I do know is that the body will take a few weeks to adjust to zoning, especially if you were eating higher carb before. If you find yourself [B][I][U]really[/U][/I][/B] craving something sweet or something that will make you go over your set zone for the day - you are likely better off going with the craving than continuing to restrict yourself.

John - where have you been lately? I still give into the sugar a lot, but have started focusing more on how far I've gotten away from grains/sugars instead of how much further I have to go. It's helped a lot.

Rachel Canning 02-28-2009 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=Peter Brzezinka;528915]Had a terrible day today in a sense of sugar low. Stuck to zone but felt rotten. This is 5 days in. Any advices? I held out til dinner and ate an apple and nectarine along with cottage cheese and macadamias. Trained but was really just 30 mins of technique and a couple heavy oly lifts, nothing too carb draining. Is the idea of going 2 weeks solid before incorporating a 24hr insulin spike a good idea or should I do it after one week strict?[/QUOTE]

Hey Peter - I am no expert either, but it seems to me that adding an insulin spiked 24 hr period would only make you crave those carbs again once you start back on your Zone diet. It does take a bit of time, give it a good two weeks before those cravings really do go away. Once you hit that point you may find that you don't really need those carb filled days anyway. Also, I am beginning to understand that if you are actually in the Zone correctly, then you shouldn't be hungry all the time.

I would also recommend getting Barry Sear's Book, "Mastering the Zone" as it really explains how insulin in the body works and if you are hungry and do crave carbs after your meals what you should do. It talks about adjusting your carb levels if you are hungry and tired or hungry and alert a few hours after your meal as opposed to being hunger free for four to six hours as the correct Zone meals should do.

Also, each person reacts to insulin differently so what may work for me may not work for you. You just have to experiment and figure out how your body responds and adapt your diet according to how you feel. Keeping a good journal is probably the way to go. You can write down which meals stave off hunger and carb cravings so you can go back to them versus which meals don't satisfy you as long.

I hope that helps some. I think reading the book will really help you get a better sense of how your body 'should' react to correct Zone eating. Also, increase your fat intake - that should definitely help too.

Peter Brzezinka 02-28-2009 05:21 PM

Hey cheers for the advice Rachel. I do have the book mastering the zone and have read cover to cover (barring alot of the recipes!) Maybe I should up my fat blocks. Though I don't want to do that just yet... not quite happy with leanness. I am fairly confident with my own insulin responses, and have found a good number of meals which satisfy me well. I've zoned before but always had little slip ups, with things like protein bars that are zone balanced, but loads of sugars. So yeah I guess just get used to it.

One thing I've noticed and spoke to a few of the guys at my box is that there's slightly too little carbs in Sears' ideas, certainly for serial X-fitters. So maybe I'll play around a bit with carb distribution this second week coming! :thanx: again!

Rachel Canning 02-28-2009 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=Peter Brzezinka;529554]Maybe I should up my fat blocks. Though I don't want to do that just yet... not quite happy with leanness.[/QUOTE]

I do want to mention that from what I have read in the CrossFit journal and have heard Coach Glassman say is that upping your fat intake will not necessarily stunt your goal of leaning out. It sounds like you have a good handle on the Zone, but like I said each person reacts differently. :)

Best of luck to you this week Peter. Keep us posted!