CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Dustin Boman 02-18-2009 06:09 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

I'm pretty new to CF started 12/19/08 but even newer to proper nutrition. I'm going through Zone right now and attempting to change my daily diet for lifetime. It seems fairly similar to the popular paleo (what ever differences if substantle please let me know what they are). I have bought into the positive effects of proper nutrition but I can forsee a real challange giving up sugar and grains. I love potatoes, rice, sugar filled desserts, and such things. I'm 27, 200lbs, 6' and in the poor side of moderate condition but things are looking up. I do believe accountability and support are vital to achieving the goals I have. I'll keep everyone up to date on my progress.

P.S. If anyone has fairly easy but good recipes feel free to send them on.

Lauren Hall 02-18-2009 06:15 PM

Hey everyone, I had a hankering for pizza tonight and decided to try this recipe. I was a little freaked out by the mention of chicken and blender in the same breath, but blended chicken is actually more grain-like than the puree I was expecting. I didn't lay this out thin enough, so my crust was more bread-like than I would have preferred. Tomato sauce, spinach, chicken chunks, olives, and feta cheese were the toppings of choice. Apart from the slight breadiness, it was good. Again, a thinner crust would have turned out more crispy I think.

(This recipe is from some other paleo cooking site, so it's not mine originally)

PALEO PIZZA CRUST
10 oz cooked chicken breast (processed in a blender)
4 TBSP parmesan cheese
2 TBSP nut flour (almond or cashews)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
3 garlic cloves crushed
1 tsp italian or pizza seasoning
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 TBSP olive oil

Mix all of the above ingredients into a batter. Grease a cookie sheet with additional olive oil and then spread out the batter into a circle on the cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for 10-15 minutes, or until crisp. Add pizza toppings and cook until melted.

Murray Birch 02-18-2009 07:56 PM

Trying to kick the habit here. Alot of people are saying they don't feel so great after eating G/S and I WISH I was the same way. I feel the same (physically) after a big piece of cake as I do after a chicken salad. As a matter of fact, I had my biggest PR day (CFT) after a breakfast of eggs and pancakes with syrup.

I am fairly lean (~15% bodyfat) and hit the WOD regularly, but I know the effects of having too much sugar/insulin in my bloodstream all the time.

Interesting quote from "Biggest Loser" trainer Jillian- "whole grains like cereal, brown rice, and whole wheat bread have been shown to decrease risk of heart disease, cancer, and diabetes." Not verbatim, but that was the gist of it. Un-believable!

Amber Mathwig 02-19-2009 04:28 PM

Murray - Welcome! Jillian is also rumored to dump salt on her desserts instead of just enjoying/sharing the whole thing.

Lauren - That looks delish!

Dustin - Paleo equals quality, zone equals quantity. Give it one week with paleo foods, then have yourself something basic like pizza - once you get over the carb coma, grain/sugar free (or less) becomes MUCH easier.

Hershey's Chocolates are a grand thing, but I am putting it out there that I DO NOT LIKE the chocolate bar with the red wrapping that they are masquerading as dark chocolate. I should've known better when I read the ingredients list......anywho, I've found that when I state that I do not like/no longer like the taste of a certain thing, I don't go back to it. This has been extremely helpful in me avoiding most candies/chocolates.

Pete Mielo 02-21-2009 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=Amber Mathwig;522462]Murray - Welcome! Jillian is also rumored to dump salt on her desserts instead of just enjoying/sharing the whole thing.

Lauren - That looks delish!

Dustin - Paleo equals quality, zone equals quantity. Give it one week with paleo foods, then have yourself something basic like pizza - once you get over the carb coma, grain/sugar free (or less) becomes MUCH easier.

Hershey's Chocolates are a grand thing, but I am putting it out there that I DO NOT LIKE the chocolate bar with the red wrapping that they are masquerading as dark chocolate. I should've known better when I read the ingredients list......anywho, I've found that when I state that I do not like/no longer like the taste of a certain thing, I don't go back to it. This has been extremely helpful in me avoiding most candies/chocolates.[/QUOTE]

Don't think I'll EVER give up my dark chocolate totally! I just have to do better at eating it in moderation!

Amber Mathwig 02-21-2009 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=Pete Mielo;523917]Don't think I'll EVER give up my dark chocolate totally! I just have to do better at eating it in moderation![/QUOTE]

I know....I just really want the GOOD stuff (reference any of Laura's lists). Today I heard a rumor that chocolate isn't even carried by the PX here in Baghdad during the summer time.....glad I'll be gone before then!

Wade Leedy 02-21-2009 08:28 PM

First post. I've been cleaning up my diet for about a month now and trying to eat mostly paleo, I still do consume a very small amount of carbs at dinner which tends to be mostly brown rice. But I do know that giving up grains/sugar is tough when you own a restaurant! I had an unexpected cheat night tonight.

Edward Stibick 02-21-2009 10:17 PM

These past two nights have been cheat nights unforunately. Starting Paleo and my refriderator is basically empty since my girlfriend is now starting Zone.
Plus it doesn't help that I work at Pizza Hut and my boss likes to give out candy as a reward for employee of the week. Just waiting till Monday and I'm putting nearly my entire check for Paleo friendly foods so I don't cheat any time soon.

Marianne Urbanski 02-22-2009 05:34 PM

ok, so I am posting on this support group because i need some support! I had a terrible weekend and I need to get back on track this week. I was away at a family funeral (the wake, after "party", the funeral, the after "party"... ) you know.. too much drinking and definitely no good paleo/zone food. I found myself so hungry and not having any source of protein (I am a vegetarian), so I did eat as many of the raw veggies as I could, but finally broke down and ate a very small piece of veggie lasagna. I ate nuts, but in my opinion (i am used to eating 3 or 6 at a time), too many and they were salted... I ate only 2 cookies (one each day), which was good because there were MANY delicious looking baked goods around the house. ... I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but after drinking too much, I really crave the carbs the next day. I am proud that I skipped the bagels and muffins for breakfast and cooked myself a couple eggs, but I was really not "satisfied".. so, for dinner I decided to get rid of the veggie 'pot stickers" that have been in my freezer (bought them "pre-paleo/zone") and I ate them for dinner!! (at least they are not in the house any more!!)
So... what do you guys do when you have a time when you are away or visiting people and you really can't eat the way we want--this is especially difficult as a vegetarian cuz if I ate meat there would have been cold cuts and stuff like that.
i think tomorrow I need to do Fran at my gym (5:15AM) and I am going to try it for the first time with real kipping pull ups, so I am a little nervous about my performance after this awful weekend!!
I am determined to get back on track NOW and have a dynomite week!!

Amber Mathwig 02-22-2009 05:40 PM

Marianne, don't beat yourself up. It's one weekend, and I'm betting a great reminder of why you chose the no grains/no sugar lifestyle to begin with. As for what to do.....I am horrible when it comes to visiting my family, I succumb to their eating style a lot. I'll try to overcome it somewhat by offering to cook a few meals, or making more paleo friendly restaurant choices (I am never that person that says, "let's go where ever you want to go").

I've seen a lot of posts from people who get some kick *** PR's 24-48 hours after a carb binge. Get yourself rehydrated and to bed. You'll be fine.