CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Jimmy Dunn 02-13-2009 04:48 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

I guess I should up the fat. There is a method to the madness with the egg whites and reduced fat bacon though. By doing that I have more options later in the day as to the amount of fat I can take in without getting too much and too many calories for what I'm after. As for the rice milk/juice, I don't do soy anything and I can't tolerate most dairy. You wouldn't want to be around me after a large glass of milk or big bowl of ice cream.

Joe Bernard 02-13-2009 09:16 PM

[QUOTE=Jamie J. Skibicki;518125]Joe

whole eggs = whole milk = squats
egg whites = skim milk = half squat
egg beaters = any milk not from an animal = some bosu ball thing with chrome 5lb dbs[/QUOTE]

ah yea that's it, thanks. I like the egg beaters description :rofl:

Thomas Bailly 02-14-2009 05:37 PM

all together now:
WHOLE EGGS.

This whole BB thing of egg whites only is silly, the yolk is the best part, whats next chocolate treat day only eat the outside skip the caramel filling?

Samantha Aurelio 02-14-2009 11:25 PM

[QUOTE=Thomas Bailly;518680]all together now:
WHOLE EGGS.

This whole BB thing of egg whites only is silly, the yolk is the best part, whats next chocolate treat day only eat the outside skip the caramel filling?[/QUOTE]

:yikes: never!

----

i am currently indulging in dried cranberries which are sugar, i believe. bad sam. oh well.

Marianne Urbanski 02-15-2009 09:40 AM

The thing about the eggs is this: If I am doing kind of zone/kind of paleo --I eat dairy and because I want to drop a few pounds of fat I think I need to be careful of how much I eat, so I am trying to stick to 10-12 blocks. I usually try to do 2 blocks for a meal and 1 block snacks. SO... the question becomes: i either get 2 whole eggs or 4 egg whites. You all think it is better to have the whole 2 eggs? another question: I am away right now and for breakfast this morning I was trying to find something "legal" and the omlets had 3 eggs or I could do egg whites. I figured the egg white one was better cuz the 3 whole eggs would be too much. (it was a vegetarian one since I don't eat meat). Am I over analyzing this? What do you guys think.
Actually, If I could just be this careful and measure my wine once in a while, I would probably be much better off!! Somethings a girl just gotta have !! :)

Amber Mathwig 02-15-2009 11:20 AM

Marianne - eat the whole egg, hands down, anytime. In a restaurant, I would be likely avoid the omelets/scrambled too because you never know when they might be using powdered eggs. By asking for sunny side up or fried, I'm guaranteed to get a real egg. I don't think your overanalyzing it....but 2 block meals seem really small as far as the protein goes. But that's just me (and I ate 11oz of ribs earlier.....:yikes:).

I'd like to know who REALLY zones their beer and wine????

Marianne Urbanski 02-15-2009 01:04 PM

[quote=Amber Mathwig;518979]Marianne - eat the whole egg, hands down, anytime. In a restaurant, I would be likely avoid the omelets/scrambled too because you never know when they might be using powdered eggs. By asking for sunny side up or fried, I'm guaranteed to get a real egg. I don't think your overanalyzing it....but 2 block meals seem really small as far as the protein goes. But that's just me (and I ate 11oz of ribs earlier.....:yikes:).

I'd like to know who REALLY zones their beer and wine????[/quote]

Oh... that actually helps a lot, Amber. Thanks. I actually prefer whole eggs "over easy" --great over spinach!! Kind of like eggs florentine minus the bread! :) I have been really hungry all the time since I have been doing this.. Maybe I will up the protein a little. thanks for the support, everyone!

Yea, the wine gets me, but i am never giving that up!! :) I just have to work out that much harder, but it is worth it!!

Lauren Hall 02-15-2009 05:50 PM

Ahhhhh! I'm back after an incredibly long hiatus. Actually, it wasn't that long, but I have a lot to make up for. Like chocolate cake and 5 beers on Friday and 6 large chocolate cookies yesterday. No grains today, but I did eat like 4 lbs of cheese (feta, swiss and jalapeno harvarti, if you're interested), which is what I usually do when I'm coming off a sugar crash.

So, I'm back to IF and paleo tomorrow. I'll try to do a 24 hour fast (these have been great fun, weirdly enough, though I sometimes get headaches) tomorrow and then I'm cleaning out the fridge. I've actually been pretty good on the no grains/sugars until this last week, so my new resolution is to increase veggies and decrease cheese. As much as I love it, it's hard to justify eating a 1/2 lb of havarti throughout the day.

Sorry for the super long post! It's good to be back! :D

Pete Mielo 02-18-2009 09:47 AM

Been awhile; mainly because I've been on again/off again and felt guilty! Been pretty busy at work and various other things so it's been easy to fall into the "we're too busy to make dinner, let's order out".

*Disclaimer before I write the next lines, I'm NOT blaming my wife for my lack of willpower!*

We've had a lot of extra stuff in the house like cookies and candy, etc. because she's about 19 weeks pregnant and she's already told me not to bug her about it. I know, I don't HAVE to eat it, but it definitely makes it more difficult.

I'll just have to work harder at it.

Amber Mathwig 02-18-2009 01:18 PM

I feel the same, Pete. While I would say the majority of my food consumed during the day is paleo, it is consumed in larger amounts than I should be eating and there is also sugar and a very low amount of carbs in there as well. Congratulations on the pregnancy though!

Lauren - glad to see you here again!