CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Samantha Aurelio 02-02-2009 11:55 AM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

[QUOTE=Amber Mathwig;508759]I ate 4 paleo kits last night.....I can understand why you ate so many of the strawberries![/QUOTE]

thank you for understanding my pain hahahaha <33

[QUOTE=Laura Kurth;508761]I had to go cold turkey on the dried fruits as I have no self control with them. Last weekend I ate so many dried pears/apples I gave myself a tummy ache and felt like garbage from the sugar/fiber overload.

Dried fruit is so yummy... and yet, so evil :D[/QUOTE]

oh man. I have to stop with them. they're too ridiculously good hahaa
whenever I'm done ODing on them I just crave protein like NO other hahaha :D

Anu Varadharajan 02-02-2009 05:42 PM

What a day!!! 99% clean. The damn 1% was from peanuts and sunbutter. I was starving by 5 pm. Was running around all day and I even packed 2 oz of cheese and a handful of pistachios and walnuts for a snack. Bkfast was greek yogurt with slivered almonds, 1 spoon of sunbutter. Had stir fry veges for lunch and a cup of coffee w/ milk, no sugar. Had an orange and some almonds at 3 pm and was still starving by 5. Have a nasty headache from the lack of carbs - but I'll get thru it. Just very tired and exhausted. But 99%! that's a big step.

Alyson Terranova 02-02-2009 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=Amber Mathwig;508759]I ate 4 paleo kits last night.....I can understand why you ate so many of the strawberries![/QUOTE]

Aren't they wonderful? I've been having one for breakfast for the past few weeks...partly because I'm addicted, but mostly because it's so much easier than planning my breakfasts for the week...

Marianne Urbanski 02-02-2009 06:57 PM

My first day home today and I really loaded up with the veggies!! As much as it is fun to be away, there is nothing like a big bowl of lightly cooked broccolli/mushrooms/onions and a little tofu!! yum.. Now... about the 'bad' part of coming home.. there are still a few truffles lying around from Christmas. Throwing them away would be a "sin", so I hid them on myself, but of course today I was having a craving and I found one! The good news is I only had one and was fine. :)
so much for the "no" sugar.. well.. let's see what tomorrow brings!

Thanks for the advice on the salmon burgers, Amber. Where do you get them? Frozen? I will look for them. so far I am kind of stuck with eggs and tofu as my main sources of protein. I think I will do some greek yogurt and Cottage cheese too for some variety. This isn't easy to cut the 'carbs" when one is a veg head!! I am so used to pasta and potatos!!

Chris Woo 02-02-2009 07:47 PM

well i have decided to try 30 days with no grains/sugar. Not too worried about the grains, but its the sugar thats gonna be rough for me, hoping to kick the habit. so far so good though, just got done with the first day, and still feeling pretty motivated, but im sure thats gonna change soon ;)

John Penner 02-02-2009 10:24 PM

lets do this Chris. 0 sugar today a a dozen M&Ms yesterday @ superbowl party thats it! that quanity is almost a win for me in that environment.

Amber, I know munching habbits are part of it & I KNOW that sugar/grains are very unsatifying physically & mentally, its only a perfect breeding ground for craving more.

There IS justification why CF calls sugar "CRACK" I'm a walking testimony of it.

When I weighed 208 & decided to get in shape & loose weight faster than my buddy, I quit cold turkey. I was fat & everyone supported me. Then after a year w/o any sugar & 40lbs less, I went on a weekend retreat w/ my mens group @ church & had a candybar on the drive over (no big deal right?) and that 1 bar opened up a full binging weekend:ranting2: its been a struggle ever since. I had lost the weight and in great shape so the support of going 0 sugar seemed to be gone, but I've got to get off the CRACK again:pepper:

Great day today and a lot more to come:kicking0:

Anu Varadharajan 02-03-2009 04:47 AM

[QUOTE=Anu Varadharajan;509103]What a day!!! 99% clean. The damn 1% was from peanuts and sunbutter. I was starving by 5 pm. Was running around all day and I even packed 2 oz of cheese and a handful of pistachios and walnuts for a snack. Bkfast was greek yogurt with slivered almonds, 1 spoon of sunbutter. Had stir fry veges for lunch and a cup of coffee w/ milk, no sugar. Had an orange and some almonds at 3 pm and was still starving by 5. Have a nasty headache from the lack of carbs - but I'll get thru it. Just very tired and exhausted. But 99%! that's a big step.[/QUOTE]

Well, it was 99% when I posted this - but later on, my friend who was visiting decided to have some icecream - so I caved in and had 1/2 a scoop as well and a small shortbread cookie! :crybaby0: I wish I hadn't. So, I'm back to day 0 today to try all over again. The only thing that comes to mind now is the line from Batman Begins. "Why do we fall Master Bruce? So that we can pick ourselves back up again". So, here goes again today.

Amber Mathwig 02-03-2009 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=Alyson Terranova;509161]Aren't they wonderful? I've been having one for breakfast for the past few weeks...partly because I'm addicted, but mostly because it's so much easier than planning my breakfasts for the week...[/QUOTE]

I think they have become my new comfort food.....

[QUOTE=Marianne Urbanski;509178]Thanks for the advice on the salmon burgers, Amber. Where do you get them? Frozen?[/QUOTE]

We got them at Whole Foods, tequila lime salmon burgers were a weekly meal.

John and Anu - you can do it!

Samantha Aurelio 02-03-2009 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=Anu Varadharajan;509472]Well, it was 99% when I posted this - but later on, my friend who was visiting decided to have some icecream - so I caved in and had 1/2 a scoop as well and a small shortbread cookie! :crybaby0: I wish I hadn't. So, I'm back to day 0 today to try all over again. The only thing that comes to mind now is the line from Batman Begins. "Why do we fall Master Bruce? So that we can pick ourselves back up again". So, here goes again today.[/QUOTE]

No need to beat yourself up. I mean.. one cookie? Half a scoop of ice cream!? --What a nice way to treat yourself for such a good job so far! :) No one should beat themselves up for a treat. I understand the challenge but the idea of it being a "diet/challenge" rather than "the way you eat" is completely mind altering. That quote is very, very good. What a fantastic way to look at the situation. I have high hopes that you'll dive in head first to the task and get back onto the way of life you so happily enjoy :)
Best of luck, and no beating yourself up!! I do it way too often, gets me nowhere :p <33

Pete Mielo 02-03-2009 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=Laura Kurth;508721]Brian, Pete - don't beat yourselves up. It's the superbowl! I think probably a large percentage of people fell off the wagon yesterday. Its one day, one meal.

Today is a new day and a new week ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Laura, did my best to get back on track today.

BF: leftover boneless pork chop, apple, grapes, mixed nuts
Lunch: tuna, romaine, cherry tomatoes, kiwi, olive oil
Snack: leftover veal, pear, strawberries, mixed nuts

Not a great balance of fruits/vegetables, had WAY more fruit, but today was shopping day, so it's what I had. I'll try to make up the veggies at dinner...