CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Brady Herrin 01-14-2010 12:26 PM

Re: Nik

Sorry I goofed up on your timing. Still, that was killer. You did great.

Laurie Smith 01-14-2010 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;724570]Three rounds for time of:
Walk on hands, 100 feet
Hold handstand against wall for two minutes
15 Handstand push-ups

Ok scales. walks were spotted for first round, second and third legs suported a little lower.
HSPU's first round good, second and third to abmatt
Time 20:04 with out the 6min subtracted. But we were going to use a secont stop watch to time thwe 2:00min inverted and didn't on my WOD. So when I came down from the hand stand brady sdtopped my total time so the time I wasnt in the handstand was not counted in total time so my time is all kinds of off.
At that time minus the 6:00 min I would be at 14:04, but like I said my time resetting in the handstand wasnot counted.
Time on thisone is not valid.[/QUOTE]

What? :confused: :D I can't wait to try handstand push-ups tonight. I'm going for it. :)

Scott Jenkins 01-14-2010 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;724570]Three rounds for time of:
Walk on hands, 100 feet
Hold handstand against wall for two minutes
15 Handstand push-ups

Ok scales. walks were spotted for first round, second and third legs suported a little lower.
HSPU's first round good, second and third to abmatt
Time 20:04 with out the 6min subtracted. But we were going to use a secont stop watch to time thwe 2:00min inverted and didn't on my WOD. So when I came down from the hand stand brady sdtopped my total time so the time I wasnt in the handstand was not counted in total time so my time is all kinds of off.
At that time minus the 6:00 min I would be at 14:04, but like I said my time resetting in the handstand wasnot counted.
Time on thisone is not valid.[/QUOTE]

Nice work Nik, dont worry about the time on this one , more about getting it done. How's your shoulders afterwards and eyes, my shoulders were pumped like Conan's and my eyes were bulging out their sockets. I forgot to take my handstand time off also.

Nik Nichols 01-14-2010 02:23 PM

3:00 break
Back squats 5set 3reps
185lbs
215lbs
235lbs
255lbs
275lbs
Bready was coaching my form, it was good and felt good. My head arches back automatic, Brady kept me at a neutral head, and good back, somr ''wink'' at the bottom, but with coaching it was easy to correct.

Nik Nichols 01-14-2010 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=Brady Herrin;724572]Sorry I goofed up on your timing. Still, that was killer. You did great.[/QUOTE]
Dude like Scott said, it is getting it done. Time is an incintive, no worrys.
[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;724575]What? :confused: :D I can't wait to try handstand push-ups tonight. I'm going for it. :)[/QUOTE]
Oh it was a burn, not hard, but a huge burn.
[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;724625]Nice work Nik, dont worry about the time on this one , more about getting it done. How's your shoulders afterwards and eyes, my shoulders were pumped like Conan's and my eyes were bulging out their sockets. I forgot to take my handstand time off also.[/QUOTE]

That is it Scott, doing the work. My shoulders were toast. Doing the hold my shoulders would come unlocked and I would shove them back up, it was like doing upside down shoulder shruggs. It was funny.
My face and eyes were all swolen and puffy for sure. I'll probably get those red dotts arround my eyes from the strain.

Nik Nichols 01-16-2010 06:38 AM

Todays workout has me screwing it up all over it!!

Scott Jenkins 01-16-2010 06:54 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;725371]Todays workout has me screwing it up all over it!![/QUOTE]

Right here's Scott's foolproof guide :rofl:

1 minute - If you get 40 squats then >> 2nd minute do 20 pull ups

3 minute - If you get 45 squats then >> 4th minute do 15 push ups

repeat this for as long as you can complete 60 reps total in every 2 minute period.

Nik Nichols 01-16-2010 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;725377]Right here's Scott's foolproof guide :rofl:

1 minute - If you get 40 squats then >> 2nd minute do 20 pull ups

3 minute - If you get 45 squats then >> 4th minute do 15 push ups

repeat this for as long as you can complete 60 reps total in every 2 minute period.[/QUOTE]

GOt it, 60 reps in 2 min!!

Ernie Guevara 01-16-2010 07:26 AM

So the more squats you do, the less you have to do of everyhing else! And you might even get to rest a bit the 2nd minute! Good wod for one of my goats today, squat speed and endurance.

Nik Nichols 01-16-2010 08:52 AM

Saturday 100116
With a continuously running clock, squat for 60 seconds. Subtract the number of squats completed from 60, and do that many pull-ups in minute two. In minute three, squat again, subtracting the number completed from 60. Do that number of push-ups in minute four. Minute five is squatting again, and minute six pull-ups.

The pattern is squats, pull-ups, squats, push-ups, squats, pull-ups, etc. The goal is to stay within the workout's formula for as long as possible.

42 rounds,

45squats per round, no less then 45, early rounds I got a 50, but that was in round 3or4.

My quads hut from the first round but got better fast. last few rounds were agony. Pullups and pushups unbroken. The break was just right. For them. Oh 45 reps gave me just seconds to get ready for the pullups and pushups.

Nik Nichols 01-16-2010 08:54 AM

Scott, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have gotten that far. I was chasing your hour. You are a monster. That is insane work. Just amazing!!

Greg Privitera 01-16-2010 09:23 AM

holy **** guys that's a lot...

Scott Jenkins 01-16-2010 09:43 AM

Fantastic work Nik, I bet Martin thought you was never going to stop.

:rofl: Were going to be puppy scaling if its legs tomorrow>> 5k run:yikes:

Nik Nichols 01-16-2010 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=Greg Privitera;725424]holy **** guys that's a lot...[/QUOTE]
Thanks, and Scott could have done more!!!
[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;725440]Fantastic work Nik, I bet Martin thought you was never going to stop.

:rofl: Were going to be puppy scaling if its legs tomorrow>> 5k run:yikes:[/QUOTE]

HAHA, he would do rounds on his trike, look and see where I was and go again. He stopped for a bit and did a few squats and lifted the parallets and then rode off. He was great.

I had to laugh at the 5k. Legs are still hot from it. Arms feel fine, the pushups and pullups were easy.

Fergus Lally 01-16-2010 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;725486]Thanks, and Scott could have done more!!!

HAHA, he would do rounds on his trike, look and see where I was and go again. He stopped for a bit and did a few squats and lifted the parallets and then rode off. He was great.

I had to laugh at the 5k. Legs are still hot from it. Arms feel fine, the pushups and pullups were easy.[/QUOTE]

it'll be a 10 or 15k (remember what they did with the rowing over xmas), you know it will!

Nik Nichols 01-16-2010 11:52 AM

[QUOTE=Fergus Lally;725492]it'll be a 10 or 15k (remember what they did with the rowing over xmas), you know it will![/QUOTE]

Well...if it is, I will drag my sorry carcass down the doad till I can't!

If you have to run, run,
when you can't run, walk.
when you can't walk, crawl.
when you can't crawl, find someone to carry you.

Fergus Lally 01-16-2010 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;725496]Well...if it is, I will drag my sorry carcass down the doad till I can't!

If you have to run, run,
when you can't run, walk.
when you can't walk, crawl.
when you can't crawl, find someone to carry you.[/QUOTE]

I concur, and seeing as I'm doing a 3x1k row after tomorrows wod I could cover up to 18k depending how mean coach is feeling

Nik Nichols 01-16-2010 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=Fergus Lally;725500]I concur, and seeing as I'm doing a 3x1k row after tomorrows wod I could cover up to 18k depending how mean coach is feeling[/QUOTE]

Nice, you really are killing the rower, I am jealous.

Fergus Lally 01-16-2010 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;725501]Nice, you really are killing the rower, I am jealous.[/QUOTE]

I'm not good, nor do I like, to run or row so I try to do both as much as possible. That plus I find the more I do of both the more comfortable and, more importantly, the harder I'm able to push myself during metcons.

Seeing as I'm about 7kg above my "fighting" weight, I need as much as I can get!

This coming from the guy who, after watching sisu, was dying for a big plate of pasta and chicken (all 500g's of it)

Nik Nichols 01-17-2010 07:23 AM

Three rounds of:
Wall-ball, 20 pound ball, 10 ft target (Reps)
Sumo deadlift high-pull, 75 pounds (Reps)
Box Jump, 20" box (Reps)27in
Push-press, 75 pounds (Reps)
Row (Calories)

ok I weas on my own so Brady wasnt here to count for me, so I just kept adding reps. I hoped to get 25 reps per round to beat my old score but that didn't happen but on wall ball.
Legs were toast on the box jumps, got about 15reps per. I did have to move arround for sets, and Martin was here and I had to stop to address him a second or two, so it was a trick to get through.

Score
1.86reps +21sumos for row
2.87reps +17row
3.88reps +23rpw
total 261+61rows.

Couinting the row I hit 322reps, but that isnot cal count.

Going home now. Box jumps were deadt. i had to land in full squat to get up there. Jumps were at 27inches.

Scott Jenkins 01-17-2010 08:13 AM

No wonder you found those box jumps hard with 27 inches high box , especially with all that squatin yesterday!! We got to hope for no legs tomorrow Nik or its going to get really messy.

Next time we hit FGB we will both PR because doing it after yesterday made it very hard this time.

Nik Nichols 01-17-2010 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;725765]No wonder you found those box jumps hard with 27 inches high box , especially with all that squatin yesterday!! We got to hope for no legs tomorrow Nik or its going to get really messy.

Next time we hit FGB we will both PR because doing it after yesterday made it very hard this time.[/QUOTE]

Trtue on no legs tomarrow. Man I was landing fullsquat on the jumps. It was either 27in or less then 24, easy decision.

My wall ball is getting better, Breathing was a MAJOR factor. Now it is the dang ball going all over and how hard it is to catch, but real happy with it. That and PP was the easiest part. Which is a big deal for me.

Laurie Smith 01-17-2010 12:23 PM

Good job Nik. Box jumps were hard for me too. My legs were so toast from the sprints yesterday. Everything hurts.

Nik Nichols 01-17-2010 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;725833]Good job Nik. Box jumps were hard for me too. My legs were so toast from the sprints yesterday. Everything hurts.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Laure, misery loves company!!:D

Nik Nichols 01-17-2010 07:38 PM

HAHAHA, I love some leg pain!! I have to laugh at the deads tomarrow!! (or I would cry)

Scott Jenkins 01-18-2010 01:13 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;725946]HAHAHA, I love some leg pain!! I have to laugh at the deads tomarrow!! (or I would cry)[/QUOTE]

I currently cannot walk hardly at all, have to put hands on knees to get off seat so deads later would be a stupid idea. Im all for pushing on through pain barriers but deadlifting with really messed up legs could be dodgy, could end up using our backs too much. Your choice though Nik, just a warning. Im going to do them tomorrow when hopefully I am more flexible.

Matthew Green 01-18-2010 02:39 AM

Sounds like you and Scott are really suffering with those legs of yours. 27 inch box jumps are awesome for FGB well played :highfive:

Sounds like you'd be best straight leg deadlifting today ;)

Ernie Guevara 01-18-2010 06:27 AM

Hey Nik! How are the legs feeling today? You hobbling around with a cane yet? Hey I have a question for ya, how do you do deadlifts when the reps scheme is 3's or 5's? Do you touch and go or do you do heavy enough that you do one rep, reset and then next rep, reset etc..? I have read people debating on both ways to do them. Just wondering which way you do them. I personally use the reset way to avoid injury and allows me to go a bit heavier.

Nik Nichols 01-18-2010 07:22 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;726008]I currently cannot walk hardly at all, have to put hands on knees to get off seat so deads later would be a stupid idea. Im all for pushing on through pain barriers but deadlifting with really messed up legs could be dodgy, could end up using our backs too much. Your choice though Nik, just a warning. Im going to do them tomorrow when hopefully I am more flexible.[/QUOTE]
I'll see how the 10:00 warmup goes. If i can I'll do it today, even if i wait for tomarrow, I will still be pretty sore. I will just be sure to humble myself and really listen to my body.
[QUOTE=Matthew Green;726017]Sounds like you and Scott are really suffering with those legs of yours. 27 inch box jumps are awesome for FGB well played :highfive:

Sounds like you'd be best straight leg deadlifting today ;)[/QUOTE]
Thanks, it was a lazy decision really. Either go shorter then 24in(not happening) stack a bunch of pallets to 24in, or go with the 27in table.

We will see how warmup goes on the deads. I'm playing it by ear.

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;726060]Hey Nik! How are the legs feeling today? You hobbling around with a cane yet? Hey I have a question for ya, how do you do deadlifts when the reps scheme is 3's or 5's? Do you touch and go or do you do heavy enough that you do one rep, reset and then next rep, reset etc..? I have read people debating on both ways to do them. Just wondering which way you do them. I personally use the reset way to avoid injury and allows me to go a bit heavier.[/QUOTE]

Me touch and go with no bounce for help. I know the debate to well. I totally understand it. A deadlift is one rep only. That is proper form. Just like a clean is one rep only proper form. But when it calls for multiple reps how do you do it and stop each rep?
30 cleans is touch and go. Not one reset one reset one... So I look at dead reps the same. As long as I don't bounce it I'm happy, I see bounce as cheating and bad form. As long as I controll the weight at all times touch and go are ok in my book. ( I know people see touch and go as bad form, but that is my line)
Also if you can not hang on to the bar for the second and third rep does it count for a 3rep set?

That is my view. Crossfit asks us to rep things that in the olympics are not repped, so there is a grey area there.

What about you?

Nik Nichols 01-18-2010 09:20 AM

10:00 break/warmup
30 ring dips
30squats with 45lbs bar
10 Camille pushups
20 GHD's
20sirtups with 45lbs plate overhead
15 deadlift (3x5) 115lbs
10 deadhang pullups
bicept where it joins my elbow that tindon area is sore.
1MU with 10lbs

Deadlift looks like a go for now, I will see at lunch.

Scott Jenkins 01-18-2010 11:06 AM

You will be fine Nik, I played around with a few light deadlifts and would of probably been ok going today but decided to go the CF Essex and do it without any globo nuisances around me tomorrow. Can play on the pull up station then also.

Just make sure you really warm up well!!

Nik Nichols 01-18-2010 11:58 AM

Deadlift 3-3-3-3-3 reps

1.245lbs
2.265lbs
3.285lbs PR
4.285lbs PR
5.295lbs PR
And more in the tank, I/we were real careful of form from all the lowere body work. I could have done a bit more, but left it feeling good.

Last time090104
Deadlift 3-3-3-3-3 reps

1. 185lbs
2. 205lbs
3. 225lbs
4. 245lbs
5. 275lbs

Nik Nichols 01-18-2010 12:00 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;726178]You will be fine Nik, I played around with a few light deadlifts and would of probably been ok going today but decided to go the CF Essex and do it without any globo nuisances around me tomorrow. Can play on the pull up station then also.

Just make sure you really warm up well!![/QUOTE]

Thanks Scott, we warmed up real slow and light, we probably did 15 or more sets building up slowly at first and real light.

Great idea doing the max at CF Essex. No real distractions and good coaching. You will PR for sure.

Laurie Smith 01-18-2010 12:02 PM

Awesome job on those deads Nik...numbers went up quite a bit.

Nik Nichols 01-18-2010 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;726206]Awesome job on those deads Nik...numbers went up quite a bit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, the last time we did this was last Jan. so there has beel quite alot of work done in a year, I would be kind of mad if I hadn't progressed much in a year!

But I guess that happens, so I am real happy with the lift, real happy. I wanted to go back and do more I was so juiced up from it!

Fergus Lally 01-18-2010 01:56 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;726241]Thanks, the last time we did this was last Jan. so there has beel quite alot of work done in a year, I would be kind of mad if I hadn't progressed much in a year!

But I guess that happens, so I am real happy with the lift, real happy. I wanted to go back and do more I was so juiced up from it![/QUOTE]

Your first set equalled your 4th set last time out and you pb'd by 20lb, regardless of the time difference thats damn nice.

I try not to bother with doing more, get your pb, walk away and save your strength for another day. That way you sometimes pb with more left in the tank and are more likely to pb more often (as you could have probably gone up last time). More of a psychological thing I know but its what I do, either that or its my favorite excuse for shortening strength days.

Nik Nichols 01-18-2010 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=Fergus Lally;726271]Your first set equalled your 4th set last time out and you pb'd by 20lb, regardless of the time difference thats damn nice.

I try not to bother with doing more, get your pb, walk away and save your strength for another day. That way you sometimes pb with more left in the tank and are more likely to pb more often (as you could have probably gone up last time). More of a psychological thing I know but its what I do, either that or its my favorite excuse for shortening strength days.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I didn't even notice that! That's pretty cool! That is smart thinking on the max, and it will keep you from injury instead of pushing to far and getting hurt. I will keep that in mind.

Nik Nichols 01-18-2010 02:16 PM

C&J 1rep max
didn't beat 200lbs which is max(supries suprise)
in lbs
115,135,145,165,175,185,195Just got it.

Leon Robotham 01-18-2010 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;726200]Deadlift 3-3-3-3-3 reps

1.245lbs
2.265lbs
3.285lbs PR
4.285lbs PR
5.295lbs PR
And more in the tank, I/we were real careful of form from all the lowere body work. I could have done a bit more, but left it feeling good.

Last time090104
Deadlift 3-3-3-3-3 reps

1. 185lbs
2. 205lbs
3. 225lbs
4. 245lbs
5. 275lbs[/QUOTE]

Nice PB Nik

Nik Nichols 01-18-2010 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;726314]Nice PB Nik[/QUOTE]

Thanks Leon, I worry so much about pulling my back that I know I am even stronger then this, but confidence gets me on deads.