CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 05-22-2009 05:37 AM

Re: Nik

"Michael"

Three rounds for time of:
Run 800 meters
50 Back Extensions
50 Sit-ups

time 23:30

Scott Jenkins 05-22-2009 07:04 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;593626]"Michael"

Three rounds for time of:
Run 800 meters
50 Back Extensions
50 Sit-ups

time 23:30[/QUOTE]

You done it already, well done Nik. Did you do normal sit ups as I am in a field so have no choice.

Nik Nichols 05-22-2009 09:37 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;593680]You done it already, well done Nik. Did you do normal sit ups as I am in a field so have no choice.[/QUOTE]

Yea, regular situps. they were the easy part.
I don't really have a good rack to do the back ext, I have my feet flat on a rail and I am constantly pushing to keep myself in place. So I had to break them up because my legs are spent from this week.

Christin Street 05-22-2009 10:07 AM

[quote=Scott Jenkins;593680]You done it already, well done Nik. Did you do normal sit ups as I am in a field so have no choice.[/quote]
Great time on Michael, Nik! Yeah, it calls for just "normal" situps, not GHD situps, thank god. I had to skip it bc of the injury. Nice work, Nik!:highfive:

Camille Lore 05-22-2009 04:19 PM

Yes, very nice job on the Twins and on Michael there. Did you feel like lead today? I just did not want to keep going today....

Nik Nichols 05-24-2009 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=Christin Street;593834]Great time on Michael, Nik! Yeah, it calls for just "normal" situps, not GHD situps, thank god. I had to skip it bc of the injury. Nice work, Nik!:highfive:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Christin, I hope your foot is better!
[QUOTE=Camille Lore;594053]Yes, very nice job on the Twins and on Michael there. Did you feel like lead today? I just did not want to keep going today....[/QUOTE]

Oh man did my legs feel like lead!!!

Nik Nichols 05-24-2009 08:45 AM

"CrossFit Total"

Back squat, 1 rep
Shoulder Press, 1 rep
Deadlift, 1 rep

back squats 275lbs
Shoulder press 125lbs I had 135 just above my eyes and staring back at me mocking. I almost had it!!

Dead lift 245lbs, I stopped here because for some reason I am throwing my form. My butt comes up first then it is all back. I don't know why I am doing this now. I had good deadlift form, I have had 315lbs up befor. I just wasnt going to push it.

Scott Jenkins 05-24-2009 10:33 AM

Glad you noticed your deadlift form was wrong before pushing on Nik, I have the same problem with back squats where I have started to stay far too upright and my knees are traveling to far forwards. Have to keep a check on these bad habits.

You have to get a new bar your one sounds like 'A Mocking Bar' :D

Camille Lore 05-24-2009 11:50 AM

Love your description of the CFT.
I'm kinda scared to think what my DL really looks like. It's probably off, which is why I'm stuck at a low #. I should get some vids. Thanks for the reminder.

Elizabeth Terris 05-24-2009 10:41 PM

Nice Michael. Way to be disciplined about keeping good form with the DL in the CFT!

Nik Nichols 05-25-2009 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=Elizabeth Terris;595036]Nice Michael. Way to be disciplined about keeping good form with the DL in the CFT![/QUOTE]

Thanks Elizabeth!

Run 5 K

26:27

not a PR, but ok.

Scott Jenkins 05-25-2009 12:16 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;595228]Thanks Elizabeth!

Run 5 K

26:27

not a PR, but ok.[/QUOTE]

You cannot PR all the time on those 5k runs. I always just start running and if I feel good I go for a PR if not I just get myself round. I felt good today but then at half way did not, legs went from too much running i think.

Nik Nichols 05-26-2009 06:21 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;595269]You cannot PR all the time on those 5k runs. I always just start running and if I feel good I go for a PR if not I just get myself round. I felt good today but then at half way did not, legs went from too much running i think.[/QUOTE]

Eh Brady did the CF total, and then we went for the run, I was just keeping pace with him on it till we got to the half way point. He rested a bit, we took off again, he needed to walk a bit, his legs were getting stiff. So at that point I went on. So it was one of those kind of runs, no big deal.

And I ran with the news that my grandfather died on Friday. I just wanted to be on the road for a bit, I really just wanted to run.

Ernie Guevara 05-26-2009 06:25 AM

Oh man sorry to hear that Nik!! Hope you and your family are handling it well. Sometimes its good to go for a nice long run to clear your mind. Stay strong man.

Ernie Guevara 05-26-2009 06:33 AM

Oh man sorry to hear that Nik!! Hope you and your family are handling it well. Sometimes its good to go for a nice long run to clear your mind. Stay strong man.

Scott Jenkins 05-26-2009 06:39 AM

Really sorry to hear about your Grandfather Nik

Nik Nichols 05-26-2009 06:56 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;595627]Oh man sorry to hear that Nik!! Hope you and your family are handling it well. Sometimes its good to go for a nice long run to clear your mind. Stay strong man.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;595629]Really sorry to hear about your Grandfather Nik[/QUOTE]

Thanks, it is ok, he was sick for a wile, in and out of the hospital. I guess it was finally his time. He was 87 yo. He has 35 grandkids. He had a good life. Still a bit sad to see him go. He was a tough one.

Nik Nichols 05-26-2009 11:30 AM

"Barbara"

Five rounds, each for time of:
20 Pull-ups
30 Push-ups
40 Sit-ups
50 Squats

Rest precisely three minutes between each round.

1. 3:18
2. 3:08
3. 3:50
4. 4:40
5. 4:54
total 19:40

last time was 22:43

My best single time last time was 3:05, missed it by 3 seconds.

headache again.

oh all pullups C2B

Matthew Green 05-26-2009 12:04 PM

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather Nik, I know what you mean about wanting to run, gives you time with just you and your head.

Elizabeth Terris 05-26-2009 12:28 PM

Even at 87, life just seems too short it all goes by so fast. I hope you find your peace with the death of your grandfather.

Great Barbra with C2B Pull ups too!

Nik Nichols 05-26-2009 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=Matthew Green;595871]Sorry to hear about your Grandfather Nik, I know what you mean about wanting to run, gives you time with just you and your head.[/QUOTE]
Yea, exactly, somthing kind of pure to it. No destractions of life, like you said, you, your head, the road.
[QUOTE=Elizabeth Terris;595891]Even at 87, life just seems too short it all goes by so fast. I hope you find your peace with the death of your grandfather.

Great Barbra with C2B Pull ups too![/QUOTE]

Thanks Elizabeth, I'll be fine, He is better off then he was at the end, he is resting now. Him passing brings up so much, but death always does. I remember so much now, stuff i hadn't thought about in years.

I love C2B, it pushes Scott:smiley_ev

Scott Jenkins 05-27-2009 01:44 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;595914]

I love C2B, it pushes Scott:smiley_ev[/QUOTE]

Your right Nik, I had my kipping pull ups sorted out until they went up a standard. You have now inspired me to sort them out, my max reps on them is still 21 without coming off the bar, IT WILL BE 30 BY THE TIME I RETURN FROM CYPRUS!!!!! Fig Tree Bay Chest Popping Time.

Nik Nichols 05-27-2009 05:50 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;596245]Your right Nik, I had my kipping pull ups sorted out until they went up a standard. You have now inspired me to sort them out, my max reps on them is still 21 without coming off the bar, IT WILL BE 30 BY THE TIME I RETURN FROM CYPRUS!!!!! Fig Tree Bay Chest Popping Time.[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHA, that made me laugh!! When do you go?

Scott Jenkins 05-27-2009 05:58 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;596311]HAHAHAHA, that made me laugh!! When do you go?[/QUOTE]

Next Wednesday for two weeks, really looking forward to it as I only had 1 week of holiday all last year. I wonder if i can resist logging on and seeing what the WOD is while I am there, I doubt it very much.

Nik Nichols 05-27-2009 06:06 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;596323]Next Wednesday for two weeks, really looking forward to it as I only had 1 week of holiday all last year. I wonder if i can resist logging on and seeing what the WOD is while I am there, I doubt it very much.[/QUOTE]

I would if I had the chance, how can you not check the WOD? Have fun on holiday, I can't wait to hear what you come up with to do for workouts.

Scott Jenkins 05-27-2009 06:09 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;596332]I would if I had the chance, how can you not check the WOD? Have fun on holiday, I can't wait to hear what you come up with to do for workouts.[/QUOTE]

My favourite from last year was:-

Swim 50m to bridge over pool
Jump up and grab bridge and do 10 pull ups
Swim back to edge of pool and do 10 dips on pool edge

I never put a number of rounds on it, just done it whenever i felt like it. Hope to do a lot of HSPU's and free handstand practice on the beach, learn how to safely forward roll out of a handstand also.

Nik Nichols 05-27-2009 06:11 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;596336]My favourite from last year was:-

Swim 50m to bridge over pool
Jump up and grab bridge and do 10 pull ups
Swim back to edge of pool and do 10 dips on pool edge

I never put a number of rounds on it, just done it whenever i felt like it. Hope to do a lot of HSPU's and free handstand practice on the beach, learn how to safely forward roll out of a handstand also.[/QUOTE]

Nice workout in the pool, and rolling out of a handstand will be fun.

Scott Jenkins 05-27-2009 06:18 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;596344]Nice workout in the pool, and rolling out of a handstand will be fun.[/QUOTE]

Rolling out of an handstand [U]MIGHT[/U] be fun, I can be clumsy, I have a feeling theres going to be a lot of washing sand out of places.

You got me excited about my holiday now Nik, I am very much like a big kid with these sort of things.

Nik Nichols 05-27-2009 06:24 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;596347]Rolling out of an handstand [U]MIGHT[/U] be fun, I can be clumsy, I have a feeling theres going to be a lot of washing sand out of places.

You got me excited about my holiday now Nik, I am very much like a big kid with these sort of things.[/QUOTE]

Oh yea, sand will be bad. but what a good place to work on it. Have you rolled out of a handstand befor?

early morning deadlift/ back streching warmup, 3 set 10 deadlift 135.

i actually kept my butt down and had ok form!!

Scott Jenkins 05-27-2009 06:39 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;596351]Oh yea, sand will be bad. but what a good place to work on it. Have you rolled out of a handstand befor?

early morning deadlift/ back streching warmup, 3 set 10 deadlift 135.

i actually kept my butt down and had ok form!![/QUOTE]

I havent held an handstand for long enough to think about rolling out of one, I have fell sideways many times though.

Good to see the form is back with the deadlift Nik.

Nik Nichols 05-27-2009 06:55 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;596357]I havent held an handstand for long enough to think about rolling out of one, I have fell sideways many times though.

Good to see the form is back with the deadlift Nik.[/QUOTE]

no where near back, what I have figured out is the arthritus in my back is part of the problem. Now, I wake up sore and stiff in my lower back at the hips every day. Some days worse than others. After a light set of front squats (the bar)which it take me like 5 or 6 trys to get my butt all the way down my back will start to loosen up.
Then I can rep through the pain in full range or motion. Then it usually goes away or only hurts a little. Then my 10:00 break takes care of it .

Well when I deadlift, it put pressure on the spot where my arthritus is and I think, like you Scott, that I tried to protect it by changing form. But it is the wrong form. It will be a wile till I get it worked out completely. But now I know what I am doing wrong. Now it is building it all back up.

Nik Nichols 05-27-2009 08:18 AM

10:00 break
clean progressions with bar, 10 reps

105lbs.

5 squat cleans and jerk
5 squat snaches
5 hanging power clean and jerk
5 power snaches.

all the time I had.

Brady Herrin 05-27-2009 08:20 AM

And 1 attempted hangin power snatch :)

Nik Nichols 05-27-2009 10:54 AM

muscle up progressions
105 lbs 5 reps shoulder press(right shoulder joint felt wierd so I stopped)
50 double under attempts
10 ea arm one arm negitive pullups
a buddy of mine and I have a game. Every two in a row dead hang chest to bar pullups he does, I will do 5 wide grip dead hang C2B. we did two rounds and I was showing him the kip. I did some inverted grip, just messing arround on the bar.

10 ring dips
climbed the rope just to do it.

Nik Nichols 05-27-2009 01:18 PM

3:00 break
5 squat clean and jerks 105lbs
5 squat snaches.

Then I got to talking.

Scott Jenkins 05-28-2009 04:36 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;596368]no where near back, what I have figured out is the arthritus in my back is part of the problem. Now, I wake up sore and stiff in my lower back at the hips every day. Some days worse than others. After a light set of front squats (the bar)which it take me like 5 or 6 trys to get my butt all the way down my back will start to loosen up.
Then I can rep through the pain in full range or motion. Then it usually goes away or only hurts a little. Then my 10:00 break takes care of it .

Well when I deadlift, it put pressure on the spot where my arthritus is and I think, like you Scott, that I tried to protect it by changing form. But it is the wrong form. It will be a wile till I get it worked out completely. But now I know what I am doing wrong. Now it is building it all back up.[/QUOTE]

My backs slightly annoying today, little tiny pains every now and then for no reason , just leaning over to read my paper or something. With deadlift I found myself reaching down while trying to keep my body upright as possible, which also meant my shoulders were forward and active. Then again I have seen some real bad form in some of the qualifier videos, proper bouncing up and down with an arched back, that made me quiver.

Nik Nichols 05-28-2009 05:40 AM

Sorry to hear about you back, you good for ther thruster WOD? I skipped last time in January, that is when I had bad back problems. I'm sore today like always, I'll go front squat in a bit to loosen up, but I think I'll be on for today.

Is jerking a no no for this lift?

Scott Jenkins 05-28-2009 05:43 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;597130]Sorry to hear about you back, you good for ther thruster WOD? I skipped last time in January, that is when I had bad back problems. I'm sore today like always, I'll go front squat in a bit to loosen up, but I think I'll be on for today.

Is jerking a no no for this lift?[/QUOTE]

Yes I am good to go Nik, I have had these minor pains for the last 10 months, not a worry. I too have to do a lot of stretching to get the squat deep enough.

I would say that a jerk is not allowed with the thruster as it should be one movement from squat to explode at the top then push out if necessary. My current PR for this is 85k/187lb.

Nik Nichols 05-28-2009 05:51 AM

Yea, I figured, I read on Patrick's blog about the qualifier that he was suprised the women weren't jerking on their thrusters.

I never had jerked a thruster. I also never kipped a dip, and I saw a lot of it in the qualifiers. Not that I see anything worg with it. A lot of times I find I'm doing things the hard way. Just trying to clarify movement. NO jerk.

Ernie Guevara 05-28-2009 05:57 AM

Yeah NIk no jerk on the thrusters. It ends up being a front squat with a push press action when it starts getting real heavy lol. I believe i did between 185-195 last time. I'm gonna check my records lol.

Hey i actually finished barbara. I hadn't completed it the previous 2 times it came up cuz of pukie. But i whipped her a$$ yesterday lol.