CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Running a CrossFit Facility (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How does my list look? Affiliate for 6 people classes (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=85110)

Andy Kerschbaum 11-14-2013 09:52 AM

Re: How does my list look? Affiliate for 6 people classes

I agree with the others in saying you should probably have a few women's bars as well as lighter weight KBs or DBs. As much as we'd like to plan for 6 Rich Fronings to walk through our doors, it's more lilke what Forrest Gump said, "you never know what you're gonna get". Just my 2 cents...

Dustin Gyurina 11-14-2013 10:18 AM

As others said, get more 10lb bumpers. Not only newbies use but whenever people add weight it's almost always by adding 10lb plates. People in my gym usually have 200lbs or so on the bar in the form of 25s and a stack of 10s. It doesn't bother me because I purchased more 10s than any other plate.

Abmats are cheap enough, you should get a few more than your expected class size. I use them a lot. We stack them for hand stand progressions, use as knee pads when stretching, etc.

For a class size of 6, I would start with 3 squat racks so you have 2 people per rack for strength part of your workout. Then mostly start from the floor during Metcons. Try to get more pull-up space if you could.

Hope that helps!

Mike Doehla 11-14-2013 10:35 AM

I was going to quote everyone but then decided to just reply to all. I agree more womens bars would be good. I'll tweak my list a little bit. It is hard to try and cover all my bases with a $3500 budget. I like the idea of the pu bars on the s-2 so I can move them around if needed. I don't want too many bars in the ceiling because that will prevent a lot of overhead movement.

I've been training some people for a few months now that are extremely new to all of this stuff so I'm getting a good feel for the different requirements. I appreciate all the help you guys are offering. I can't wait to get this moving. The last thing I want is to program something and have to scramble around to scale wods. I like to think I am decent at it though. Can I ask, if I have people at all different levels is it ok to scaled to each individual instead of having some finish a wod in 6 minutes and another in 18? Typically I'd scale to have most people finishing withing a few minutes of each other. To me that says the scale was ideal for that person.

Jeff Enge 11-14-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Doehla (Post 1206595)
I was going to quote everyone but then decided to just reply to all. I agree more womens bars would be good. I'll tweak my list a little bit. It is hard to try and cover all my bases with a $3500 budget. I like the idea of the pu bars on the s-2 so I can move them around if needed. I don't want too many bars in the ceiling because that will prevent a lot of overhead movement.

I've been training some people for a few months now that are extremely new to all of this stuff so I'm getting a good feel for the different requirements. I appreciate all the help you guys are offering. I can't wait to get this moving. The last thing I want is to program something and have to scramble around to scale wods. I like to think I am decent at it though. Can I ask, if I have people at all different levels is it ok to scaled to each individual instead of having some finish a wod in 6 minutes and another in 18? Typically I'd scale to have most people finishing withing a few minutes of each other. To me that says the scale was ideal for that person.

Yes, that's more than OK - that is what should be expected of you as a coach.

Mike Doehla 11-14-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1206599)
Yes, that's more than OK - that is what should be expected of you as a coach.

Thanks Jeff. That's what I figured. I don't want someone taking 20 minutes to complete something that another guy can do in half the time. IMO they don't get the intended purpose of the wod. IMO weight is relative. It's about the feel of the wod and not what a coach deems is "RX". If 6 people are in a class I don't care if everyone of them has a different weight if they're all on different levels.

Jeff Enge 11-14-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Doehla (Post 1206600)
Thanks Jeff. That's what I figured. I don't want someone taking 20 minutes to complete something that another guy can do in half the time. IMO they don't get the intended purpose of the wod. IMO weight is relative. It's about the feel of the wod and not what a coach deems is "RX". If 6 people are in a class I don't care if everyone of them has a different weight if they're all on different levels.

Remember, in your programming, you (hopefully) have a plan as to what gets "worked" each day - be it which muscle groups, which skills, or which metabolic pathway. If you have programmed a quick and dirty sprint and somebody is taking 10+ minutes to do it, then they aren't really following your plan anymore.

Mike Doehla 11-14-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1206602)
Remember, in your programming, you (hopefully) have a plan as to what gets "worked" each day - be it which muscle groups, which skills, or which metabolic pathway. If you have programmed a quick and dirty sprint and somebody is taking 10+ minutes to do it, then they aren't really following your plan anymore.

Exactly right.
i'm sure this will happen lol.

The most important thing to me is that I am a reputable coach. I want to give a good name to CF.

Jesse Gray 11-14-2013 02:17 PM

Beating a dead horse here but... Remember, at most boxes women make up 50% (sometimes more) of your members. You must make absolutely sure that you're providing as good of an experience for them as for your male members. Even if a woman can get by with a men's bar, you're sending the message that she isn't as important to you as your male members. Don't just get some women's equipment, get an even amount of each and make sure their toys are just as nice as the men's.

Jayne Whittingham 11-14-2013 03:50 PM

+1 for the above.

Goes for Masters too. We like to feel loved. (-:

Mike Doehla 11-15-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Gray (Post 1206634)
Beating a dead horse here but... Remember, at most boxes women make up 50% (sometimes more) of your members. You must make absolutely sure that you're providing as good of an experience for them as for your male members. Even if a woman can get by with a men's bar, you're sending the message that she isn't as important to you as your male members. Don't just get some women's equipment, get an even amount of each and make sure their toys are just as nice as the men's.

definitely. Woman bars will be added!