CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Official Smolov Support Thread (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=69277)

Bill M. Hesse 08-04-2011 11:22 PM

The Official Smolov Support Thread

Give us your 1 RM's and your woes and complaints. I stand for work on tile floor, so Smolov is not my friend for the next couple of days at work. I have been stuck at 285 1 RM squat with a 365 Dead and almost 385 completed. I am feeling whooped but wanting to squat more. Let's hear how bad it feels and support eachother through the tough times ahead! :pepper:

Matt Thomas 08-05-2011 12:07 AM

Re: The Official Smolov Support Thread

Awesome!

I gotta get to the gym to establish a max. I'd really like to start next week.

Let the pain begin.

Matt Thomas 08-05-2011 12:12 AM

http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/m...at-experiment/ (wfs)

Came across this article. It made me happy because his max started at 350, which is right around where mine should be. He hit 405 for 2 in his warmup and bombed out with 465, but is confident he can hit 425.

I don't know how much this guy weighs so he might have had a lot more to play with than me, but I just want to break 400 so this gives me hope!

Boris Lau 08-05-2011 02:12 AM

Good luck with Smolov... may the squat Gods be with you!

Bill M. Hesse 08-05-2011 07:13 AM

I have been a bit*h and can't crush 285. Up until now though I have to use a smith machine. Now I squat in my basement. I am probably rated as intermediate on lifting skill level. I am starting to tip the scale at 180. I hope the squat gods smile on me and my much practiced form!

Boris Bachmann 08-05-2011 08:53 AM

You might do fine, but if you are moderately strong and not young, I would suggest something else. JMO.

Matt Thomas 08-05-2011 10:49 AM

Alright I'm off to find my max. If I'm going to hit 400 by the end of this thing then I feel like I really need to be starting at at least 350 so wish me luck!

Bill M. Hesse 08-05-2011 10:53 AM

I am 26 and strong on other things, just not squats, I deal okay with high volume beat down, and have remained largely injury free sans tweaks I got when learning proper form in the beginning. I forcast good things to come.

Matt Thomas 08-05-2011 12:29 PM

Hit 390. Very shocking to me considering that it is an all time PR.

Like I said I hadn't gone for a max single in a while, so I did use a belt and some knee wraps (and a Spike energy drink :D), which I've never done before so I'm sure that added some. It felt great though. The belt really gave me a lot of confidence out of the hole and to fight. Since the volume on this thing is pretty extreme I do plan on using the wraps and belt on the higher percentage sets to try to minimize wear and tear on myself, so....COOL! Come Monday it's ON!!!

P.S. I bought a ****ty $20 belt from Sports Authority because I wanted it for today, but I liked how it felt so much I'm definitely going to invest in a good belt.

Michael Loucas 08-05-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Thomas (Post 971081)
Hit 390. Very shocking to me considering that it is an all time PR.

Like I said I hadn't gone for a max single in a while, so I did use a belt and some knee wraps (and a Spike energy drink :D), which I've never done before so I'm sure that added some. It felt great though. The belt really gave me a lot of confidence out of the hole and to fight. Since the volume on this thing is pretty extreme I do plan on using the wraps and belt on the higher percentage sets to try to minimize wear and tear on myself, so....COOL! Come Monday it's ON!!!

P.S. I bought a ****ty $20 belt from from Sports Authority because I wanted it for today, but I liked how it felt so much I'm definitely going to invest in a good belt.

Go for the athlete belt from bestbelts. One of my better investments.