CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Please help me clean up my diet (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=43340)

Luke Hale 02-26-2009 05:01 AM

Please help me clean up my diet

Hi everyone, sorry for the long post - your time is appreciated.

I'm new to the world of CF but have been exercising since xmas - circuits class once a week, running 6-8 miles a week and doing bodyweight and dumbell workouts at home

I'm male, age 28, 5'10", 200lb

my main goal at the moment is to get stronger and fitter, and to get back from a 36" waist to 32"

I've tried to clean up my diet and am having only one cheat meal a week and tried to cut out as much processed food as possible, whilst at the same time trying to keep to foods that both myself and my fiancee are happy to eat - ie no zone diets or anything

don't have a lot of time to prepare meals for the day, and don't have a big shopping budget - I just want my (our) diet to be as clean as possible, but not complicated.

my biggest problem is I always feel hungry within half an hour of eating something, but I feel like i'm eating too much!

Here's what I eat in a typical day:

7am - Branflakes, 1/2 banana, 1% milk

10.30am - PB sandwich (wholemeal bread), banana, nuts & raisins

Lunch: baked potato with 180g tuna with 2 tbsp mayo or cheese & baked beans (1/2 can)

4pm: strawberry yogurt, 2 ricecakes, apple

Dinner: lettuce, tomato, red pepper, carrot, small baked sweet potato (yam?) 2 tbsp coleslaw with either 2 boiled eggs or some sort of meat or chicken or sausages

I drink about 3 litres of water throughout the day, and maybe 2 cups of black coffee (no sugar)

to me this feels like I'm eating a lot, but makes me wonder why I'm still hungry so often!

I'm thinking of ditching the yogurts and ricecakes and maybe adding some whole milk - maybe having that on cereals and a glass with each snack

any help or advice would be appreciated,

thanks

Luke

Jamie J. Skibicki 02-26-2009 05:25 AM

Re: Please help me clean up my diet

Veggies (potatoes are tubers, not vegetables), meats(red, white, land, air, sea, eggs), nuts (peanuts are legumes, not nuts). If you are going to eat dairy (I do, but it ain't paleo), whole milk.

If you see something in your diet that isn't one of the above, get rid of it and replace it with something that is.

Example

Breakfast
3 eggs, scrambled with a bunch of veggies (I like broccoli, onions, and squash, but whatever you want), 3 peices of bacon or some sausage

Snack
Nuts, banana

Lunch
Can of tuna, more veggies (dipped in olive oil with some spices or cooked in oil with spices)

Snack
Yogurt (plain yogurt with chopped fruit, the kind you get is liquid candy (Thanks Jay)), more nuts

Dinner

More veggie (cook how you want), meat.

TO save money, find a local butcher, they are usually cheaper than even warehouse stores (costco and sams)

Harley Jennings 02-26-2009 05:48 AM

Luke,

Hard to +1 what Jamie and his cat put out to you. Paleo isn't a diet, but more a way of life, so it makes it easier to stick to for both you and your spouse. You would be amazed the body comp changes you will go through just by switching to the Paleo way of life.

You and I have almost the same damn stats. I am 5'10'', 205lb, and about 18%BF. When I started my journey I was more around 23-24% BF and with a 38 in waist. After a few months of Paleo eating and WOD/Strength Bias stuff I dropped 4 inches off the waist and got down to 18%BF. My goal remains performance, but with performance comes the body to match it.

Attack the bar and the clock, the body will adjust accordingly.

Luke Hale 02-26-2009 06:12 AM

not sure if I could cope without bread milk and cereals :(

Jamie J. Skibicki 02-26-2009 06:29 AM

I lean out when I stop drinking milk, or at least when I cut back from a gallon a day (gomad). But my goals right now are getting huge and strong.

You have to decide what you want more, the look and performance or the bread and cereals. SOme people can have both, but since you are asking, you aren't one of them. You don't have to flip the bread switch, just start removing it. Slowly take out the bread, cereals and potatoes. You may find you get want you want while eating enough to satisfy you, or you may find that as you remove them, you desire them less. Or you may find you really want them and refuse to take them out. You will find out nothing if you do not try (may I be so bold to say experiment).

Luke Hale 02-26-2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki (Post 527476)
I lean out when I stop drinking milk, or at least when I cut back from a gallon a day (gomad). But my goals right now are getting huge and strong.

You have to decide what you want more, the look and performance or the bread and cereals. SOme people can have both, but since you are asking, you aren't one of them. You don't have to flip the bread switch, just start removing it. Slowly take out the bread, cereals and potatoes. You may find you get want you want while eating enough to satisfy you, or you may find that as you remove them, you desire them less. Or you may find you really want them and refuse to take them out. You will find out nothing if you do not try (may I be so bold to say experiment).

yeah I think I'll slowly start phasing them out

for now I think will have to stick to cereals for breakfast, but I will ditch the morning sandwich and replace the potato at lunch with salad/veg

and will buy more nuts to increase afternoon snacks

slightly worried that I'll end up hungry between meals though :confused:

Jamie Sanford 02-26-2009 07:31 AM

Eat more protien - especially at breakfast, it will quench those pesky hunger pangs. I use egg whites/eggs with olive oil and turkey bacon. Instead of cereal use oats/oatmeal.

Ditch the cereal, rice cakes, and try to cut back on grains. Maybe limit your potatoes/breads to two meals/day.

I find that reducing my carbs and trading them for some healthy fats (olive oil, almonds, peanuts, natural PB, cheeses, etc..) has really helped me drop some bodyfat.

Eat more veggies and swap a potato here and there for an apple or another serving of veggies.

If your really serious about weight loss google "paleo diet" and "the zone diet"

Eat more protien - especially at breakfast, it will quench those pesky hunger pangs. I use egg whites/eggs with olive oil and turkey bacon. Instead of cereal use oats/oatmeal.

Ditch the cereal, rice cakes, and try to cut back on grains. Maybe limit your potatoes/breads to two meals/day.

I find that reducing my carbs and trading them for some healthy fats (olive oil, almonds, peanuts, natural PB, cheeses, etc..) has really helped me drop some bodyfat.

Eat more veggies and swap a potato here and there for an apple or another serving of veggies.

If your really serious about weight loss google "paleo diet" and "the zone diet"

sorry for the duplicate... computer was acting up

Luke Hale 02-26-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Sanford (Post 527542)

some great ideas here thanks - specially replacing carbs with fats

...just seems so to go against everything I've ever been told!

but I will give it a go