PDA

View Full Version : Slamball appears to have gone flat?

Greg Light
09-25-2013, 09:41 AM
I use my slamball quite a bit and it was always perfect and then 2 workouts ago it started to feel kind of lumpy and then last workout it was almost shriveled up and didnt retain its normally round shape. Its almost like it has gone flat....

There is a little nozzle where it looks like you can fill it up with a pump like you would a basketball. Has anyone ever done this? Is that what that nozzle is for? I dont have a pump so I will have to go out and get one, but didnt want to waste the time if thats not what its for or if its just ruined.

Thanks in advance.

Brad Gerbrandt
09-25-2013, 11:55 AM
We have a few that came sort of flat.

When given a choice, our members choose the more round ones but I really don't think it affects the performance. Haven't thought about pumping them up. Maybe I'll take a look.

Steve Jaeger
09-25-2013, 06:38 PM
I use my slamball quite a bit and it was always perfect and then 2 workouts ago it started to feel kind of lumpy and then last workout it was almost shriveled up and didnt retain its normally round shape. Its almost like it has gone flat....

There is a little nozzle where it looks like you can fill it up with a pump like you would a basketball. Has anyone ever done this? Is that what that nozzle is for? I dont have a pump so I will have to go out and get one, but didnt want to waste the time if thats not what its for or if its just ruined.

Thanks in advance.

Yep Greg - pump them up with a bicycle tire pump and off you go :)

Greg Light
09-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Yep Greg - pump them up with a bicycle tire pump and off you go :)

Thanks. Ill get needle for the pump and give it a go!

Sebastian Dinges
09-26-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm actually interviewing a manufacturer of Slam Balls today so he'll have some insights. Any idea what brand these are? color?

Andrew Yano
09-26-2013, 12:43 PM
I have a Rage Fitness 50# slamball. Even after I pump it up, after about 1 day its lets out the air and is completely fat on the bottom and rock hard everywhere. Don't buy Rage stuff. Also when inflating the slamball, if you just pump in both directions, it will clog your inflation needle with sand. So you have to inflate then remove the pump. Pull the pump back, insert, inflate, and remove again.

David Kiesling
09-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Pumping it up can help, but if it's leaking then it's leaking, and short of finding the leak and plugging it or the nozzle with some Goop or Shoe Goo, if that will even plug it well enough, then it's defective. I had a MuscleDriver and Valor one go flat. Both were replaced without a problem. I don't think the brand matters. They're all from China. Slam balls are a pretty new type of product that hasn't exactly gone through years of field testing.

Patrick Rushbrook
09-27-2013, 03:27 AM
After you pump it up, submerge it in water or rub some dish soap on it and look for the leak. I'd be very surprised if the air actually leaked out of the pump hole.

Sebastian Dinges
09-27-2013, 01:58 PM
I don't think the brand matters. They're all from China. Slam balls are a pretty new type of product that hasn't exactly gone through years of field testing.

I actually just interviewed the founder of D-Ball who is the creator of the modern Slam Ball. He first started making them in '89, and about 10 years ago perfected it for CrossFit. He actually worked with Burgener in battle testing to create what it is today. The design he came up with then set the standard for what we know today as the Slam Ball. It's remains the only one made in the USA, and not in China.

I asked him about this thread and he basically said the plugs on these are poor quality. The key is to have an equalizing valve plug which is what he implemented with the D-Ball.

http://www.maxwod.com/collections/medicine-slam-balls/products/d-balls-slam-balls