PDA

View Full Version : How close to the ceiling can a pull up bar be?

Brent Amey
01-29-2013, 10:40 AM
I am looking at putting the Rogue P4 pull up brackets on my basement wall. My ceiling is only 90 inches high though. I am 5'9 and the bar I have now mounted is 11 inches from the ceiling. The problem is I have to bend my legs which makes doing kipping pull ups very difficult. I don't want to waste my money on the brackets if it is going to be the same thing. Does anyone have experience with minimum distances to the ceiling? Could I get away with only 6 inches to the ceiling?

Jeff Enge
01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
You can get away with it being as close to the ceiling as you want, provided you won't hit your head. For what it's worth, my head is longer than 6 inches, so if you had it as high as you're asking I would knock my head on the ceiling every time for sure.

David Allen Rogers
01-29-2013, 09:27 PM
I posted about this a while ago and came to the conclusion that 14 inches or so is about the limit I'd be comfortable with. I could imagine putting it a little closer to the ceiling if necessary but I can't imagine 6" unless you plan on doing nothing but butterfly kips on it.

Here's the old thread:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=73577 (wfs)

Brent Amey
01-31-2013, 01:27 PM
I posted about this a while ago and came to the conclusion that 14 inches or so is about the limit I'd be comfortable with. I could imagine putting it a little closer to the ceiling if necessary but I can't imagine 6" unless you plan on doing nothing but butterfly kips on it.

Here's the old thread:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=73577 (wfs)

Thanks for your help. Looks like my options are fairly limited with my low basement ceiling. I just took off the drywall on the ceiling and exposed the joists to try and give me a bit of extra room. My wife isn't too pleased with the way it looks though. :)

Sean M Hutchinson
01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for your help. Looks like my options are fairly limited with my low basement ceiling. I just took off the drywall on the ceiling and exposed the joists to try and give me a bit of extra room. My wife isn't too pleased with the way it looks though. :)

Just dig a hole in the basement so your feet don't hit. lol jk...You should still be able to kip with bent knees, maybe not as efficiently as you could with straight legs. At least you'll get stronger.

John Holcombe
02-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Solution - just do strict pullups on this particular bar

Brent Amey
02-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Yeah I have been doing strict pull-ups but I want to do some of the actual workouts and my times are brutal if I don't do kipping pull ups. I also want to teach myself how to do butterfly pull ups. I am going to mount a bar in the garage but the problem is up here in Canada it is colder than a well digger's *ss in the winter. Maybe in the spring I'll insulate it and put a heater in there. I just measured in the basement to see if I could do some Olympic lifting and it appears I may smash the plate through the ceiling on a thruster squat...

Brian Lelli
02-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Depending on the construction of the ceiling you're installing the bar in; you could line up the bar such that the middle is in-between the ceiling joists and cut out a section there. That'll give you another 6-8".

If you do that I'd suggested padding the area as sometimes the wood is less then ideal and/or there might be exposed nails (knock those back into the wood or bend out of the way).