PDA

View Full Version : Garage Gym Help

Tim Tonkovich
12-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Okay I am trying to put a garage gym together and having some issues. I'm hoping I can get some great advice from the crossfit community.

I'm currently renting a house with a two car garage. I can't put anything in the wall studs or drill in to the cement. So I'm stuck on how to handle a pull up bar that will allow kipping? I also don't want to eat up the whole garage with equipment.

Any help on this would be great!

Vickie Ellickson
12-06-2012, 06:34 PM
I personally haven't tried kipping on this type of set-up, but I imagine it can be done. If not, there are racks out there that have bars that go all the way across. They're already pretty stable, but if needed you can rest heavy plates on the bottom cross beams.

Jon Hanover
12-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Well, you're looking at either a power rack or a squat rack. Since garage space is vital to you, go with a squat rack with safeties... also, since you want to do kipping pull ups you have to stabilize somehow, so you'll need to get some plates to set on it, sand bags(always a fun training tool), or weight horns and throw on some spare poundage.

You'll need a pull up bar option like this - http://www.repfitness.com/weightlifting-equipment/squat-racks/pendlay-elite-squat-stand-with-pull-up-bar WFS

Steve Jaeger
12-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Okay I am trying to put a garage gym together and having some issues. I'm hoping I can get some great advice from the crossfit community.

I'm currently renting a house with a two car garage. I can't put anything in the wall studs or drill in to the cement. So I'm stuck on how to handle a pull up bar that will allow kipping? I also don't want to eat up the whole garage with equipment.

Tim - Do you think they would let you drill into the floor of the garage? Here is a 92" tall squat rack with a Pullup Bar and Floor Skis/Anchors. When you drill the anchors, drill 1-1/2" deeper than the length of the anchor. That will leave enough room in the bottom of the hole that when you move, you can hammer the anchors flush with the garage floor and no one will know it was there. Easy...

Here it is...
http://hammerheadfitness.com/hammerhead-m92a1-squat-rack/ [wfs]

Patrick Weaver
12-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Hey Tim,
Just to add another option for you, I am in the same predicament where I was not going to drill any holes anywhere and needed to not take up my whole garage. Anyhow I bought Rogue's S2. I bought the weight horns that store plates stacked vertically and then I put 45's on the front end as well and it stays put. I chose the single bar option across the top instead of the fat/skinny bar combo and it is the perfect height for me to kip without hitting the ground or my low ceiling.
It is very similar to the Pendlay squat stand with pull up bar but shorter as the Pendlay one would not allow me to do a pull up and NOT hit my head haha.
http://www.roguefitness.com/s2-squat-stand.php (WFS)

Jeremy Galo
12-07-2012, 10:26 AM
if space isn't an issue, build a platform and bolt the rack down into the platform. That'll keep it real solid

Tim Trujillo
12-07-2012, 10:37 AM
http://2717equipment.com WFS

These guys seem to have good ideas for a new company.

Richard Deyan
12-19-2012, 05:53 PM

I use the rogue s-2 squat stand and use either plates or these cement slabs to hold the rig down for kipping pullups and t2b and there's no problem. Guys are rogue suggest plates that you're not using or sandbags. I put two plates on the back that are about 45 pounds and the front 25-45 pounds and its very solid.

Lincoln Brigham
12-19-2012, 06:37 PM
You don't have to kip.

No, really. Strict pullups are okay.

John Donovan
12-19-2012, 06:50 PM
That A frame rack from 2717 is a heck of an idea.

Alex Mcintosh
12-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Agreed! That's awesome!

Peter Villa
12-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Hey guys,

We just started Triton. All Steel based products for our sport. And entirely made in Texas. Something that we're developing is a fold up rig for your garage. Basically, it folds down, put a bolt into the bottom portion stands, and now you have a rig.

We also have all sorts of other toys and rigs. But the Garage gym fold up system is looking pretty sick. Should be published on our site this weekend. (w/fs) www.tritonequipped.com

Thanks for your time folks!

Alex Mcintosh
12-20-2012, 09:26 AM
What's the price looking like? How far is the pull up bar from the ground?

Jason Staglon
12-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Hey Tim,

I dont have much to add other than I found a company making their version of the S-2. It's essentially a 100% knockoff in every way for a fraction of the price. I dont work for them and I bought it through a distributor. Just installed it yesterday in my APARTMENT! 2nd floor right above a storage room, so no worries of ****ing off neighbours! It has rubber bottoms on the base and I put it on a few pieces of rubber mat to add traction...the weight of it is keeping it in place for kips without issue.

I attached a before and an after pic.
-Jason

Patrick Weaver
12-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Jason where did you get it?

Jason Staglon
12-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Re: Garage Gym Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jason where did you get it?

Patrick,
I got it through www.fitnessdepot.ca, check their "Crossfit" section under "Strength Conditioning". You'll find it there. They have my 92" version, as well as a 110" version with their version of the Dirty South Bar. I honestly cant tell the difference. Welds are good and warrantied for life. I should warn you though that it is made in Canada, which is where I'm from, and made by a company called Northern Lights who's making a push up here to get into the market. I can't say a negative word about the products, even the bench is better than any bench I've used even in a commercial setting.

Alex Mcintosh
12-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Not available to us residents :-(

Jason Staglon
12-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Not available to us residents :-(

Where there's a will, there is a way. I actually just bought a 2011 VW Jetta from Frederick, Maryland earlier this year which I believe is where you're from! All done online!

Peter Villa
12-21-2012, 08:26 AM
What's the price looking like? How far is the pull up bar from the ground?

We'll be publishing all the details on the site either today or Monday. I can run over to the welders real quick, but I'd rather leave them alone right now. It's Friday and they're ready to get out of here for the Holiday weekend. Haha!

Just keep an eye on us. We've only been live for like 3 weeks and our products are starting to catcvh on. Our rig prices are so low, so people are starting to catch on.

Thanks guys!

Joshua Foladare
12-21-2012, 09:09 AM
You don't have to kip.

No, really. Strict pullups are okay.

^ yeah what he said

Jess Ablang
12-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Hey guys,

We just started Triton. All Steel based products for our sport. And entirely made in Texas. Something that we're developing is a fold up rig for your garage. Basically, it folds down, put a bolt into the bottom portion stands, and now you have a rig.

We also have all sorts of other toys and rigs. But the Garage gym fold up system is looking pretty sick. Should be published on our site this weekend. (w/fs) www.tritonequipped.com

Thanks for your time folks!

All this stuff looks great, especially that daisy tractor.

Jon Hanover
12-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Got a couple options.. but since you can't drill into the wall, you'll have to go with something free-standing.

Like others have said, the A-1 rack http://www.repfitness.com/weightlifting-equipment/squat-racks/a-1-squat-rack-with-pull-up-bar WFS looks pretty badass for what you're looking for.

Are you looking for only a pull up bar? I don't think the power towers will help you with kipping pull ups. They would be fine for strict, but not kipping. You'll need something a bit sturdier. Power Tower - http://dangerandplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Joe-Weider-Power-Tower-Dip-Chin-Ups-at-home-gym-bodyweight-exercises-only.jpg WFS which isn't what you want for a home gym if you plan on doing squats and want something out of the way for a 2 car garage when you're not training.

Peter Villa
01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Ok! It's finally done! So sorry for the delay! The Triton fold up squat rack is available now for purchase. I know I said last week.

Lead time is two weeks just because we don't want to fall on backorder.

Go check it out. http://www.tritonequipped.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-phantom (W/FS)

Thanks guys!

Greg Light
01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Ok! It's finally done! So sorry for the delay! The Triton fold up squat rack is available now for purchase. I know I said last week.

Lead time is two weeks just because we don't want to fall on backorder.

Go check it out. http://www.tritonequipped.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-phantom (W/FS)

Thanks guys!

That is awesome!

Jeff Sprunger
01-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Throw a bar over the rafters and lash it down with rope so it does't slide around. Put some rubber matting under the bar so it doesn't eat up the wood...