PDA

View Full Version : Tarsal Coalition - Orthotics

Kurt Mueller
09-25-2012, 09:18 AM
I've been having foot pain for a while and finally went to a podiatrist, and after a physical exam, x-ray and MRI, I've been diagnosed with a fibrous tarsal coalition and a ton of bad tendonitis in the foot. He shot me up with some cortisone for the inflammation and had me casted for orthotics to hopefully reposition the foot and ease the pain. There's not much literature on this condition, but it's apparently congenital and usually presents in adolescence (I'm 31 btw). Anybody know anything about tarsal coalition or have any advice for me besides hoping for the best with the orthotics?

Sean Rockett
09-27-2012, 08:56 PM
I've been having foot pain for a while and finally went to a podiatrist, and after a physical exam, x-ray and MRI, I've been diagnosed with a fibrous tarsal coalition and a ton of bad tendonitis in the foot. He shot me up with some cortisone for the inflammation and had me casted for orthotics to hopefully reposition the foot and ease the pain. There's not much literature on this condition, but it's apparently congenital and usually presents in adolescence (I'm 31 btw). Anybody know anything about tarsal coalition or have any advice for me besides hoping for the best with the orthotics?

coalitions can cause foot to develop in abnormal positions like flat foot or pes planus where the arch is lost. Orthotics usually help. Can do surgery but best not to if you can avoid it.

Gravel Brown
09-28-2012, 02:47 AM
Foot problems suck... they stop you from doing so many things. Ive got achillies tendonitis at the moment and its a PITA. I also got given orthotics and theyre definitely helping. Anything foot related takes a long time to heal tho as its so hard to give it complete rest.

Kurt Mueller
09-28-2012, 07:37 AM
coalitions can cause foot to develop in abnormal positions like flat foot or pes planus where the arch is lost. Orthotics usually help. Can do surgery but best not to if you can avoid it.

Sean, thanks for the info. As of now, surgery is off the table. The doctor doesn't think it would even be very successful, and from the literature I've dug up, it looks like he's right. I'll be getting the orthotics in a couple weeks. Anything I should look out for or things I should do as I adjust and progress?

Sean Rockett
09-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Sean, thanks for the info. As of now, surgery is off the table. The doctor doesn't think it would even be very successful, and from the literature I've dug up, it looks like he's right. I'll be getting the orthotics in a couple weeks. Anything I should look out for or things I should do as I adjust and progress?

keep it as flexible as possible with achilles and inversion, eversion stretches, go to my blog 321GoMD and look up ankle sprain, exercises are there for you