PDA

View Full Version : how I can adjust my workouts to stay healthy/rehab injures?

Timothy Turner
09-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Hello,

I'm only 28 and running into a lot of injury problems that seem to be slowing me down. I don't know if this is unavoidable or if I'm just training incorrectly? The more advanced athletes at my gym seem to have an insane amount of volume and have minimal injury problems. I would love to know the secret!

I've just got a laundry list of things that cause me discomfort and even failure during workouts. Its very discouraging! Without rambling too much more, what can I do to minimize this? Is it likely I'm training wrong, need to rehab my injuries better?

I'm dealing with:
Lifelong right shoulder pain, lots of cracking and popping when I rotate in circles. Decreases range of motion, difficulty with heavy overhead lifts.

Right elbow pain on pushing and pulling exercises (slight manageable).

My sternum pops a lot. Pops and causes pain with I sneeze or cough. Intense pain lately with ring dips.

right knee injury. Dislocated it twice in the past. Things like lunges and box jumps cause pain. I feel some discomfort even walking up steps. Ran a marathon once and couldn't walk for a couple days. No problems squatting.

Both of my knee caps get sore if I run more than 5 miles a week.

Siatic nerve problem, I think? My whole right leg and right lower back sometimes go numb and have pain when I lift heavy and it can shut me down for a day or so.

Any advice on how to be consistent with my training with all these problems?

Rebecca Roth
09-24-2012, 11:10 AM
What are you doing to address those problems?

Timothy Turner
09-24-2012, 11:17 AM
What are you doing to address those problems?

Basically just limiting or stopping the exercises that are causing pain/discomfort. I guess that's my question, what more can I do? Is there some self rehab, stretching, or lifting that I can do that will help with any of these things?

Brian Strump
09-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Basically just limiting or stopping the exercises that are causing pain/discomfort. I guess that's my question, what more can I do? Is there some self rehab, stretching, or lifting that I can do that will help with any of these things?

You have a laundry list of issues. You should have realized by now that just resting and avoiding is not helping...probably making matters worse.
If you have not recognized this yet, NOW YOU SHOULD! :thanx:

It's too late for self anything right now. Each problem you named could be effecting other things. If you start "self rehabbing" what's only a compensation, you're going to end up in the same place, or more likely worse in the long run.

Go. To. The. Doctor. Seriously. It's one thing for people to offer helpful advice on an internet forum(I do it too), however, in some instances (like YOURS), you should not listen to what people tell you worked for them in the past! Or what helped their uncle that does CrossFit.