PDA

View Full Version : repeat wrist injury

Kenneth Cheung
09-13-2012, 06:35 PM
second time in 2 weeks i've had this, been practicing power cleans. i'm guessing i sprained my left wrist.

any movement other than 'hammer curl' (neutral) i.e. thumb facing out or in causes a sharp pain at the wrist by my little finger.

i've currently got something on my wrist to prevent excess movement and to support it like a wrist brace.

1. what can i do to aid recovery?
2. what can i do to prevent/minimize recurrence?

Sean Rockett
09-16-2012, 08:55 PM
second time in 2 weeks i've had this, been practicing power cleans. i'm guessing i sprained my left wrist.

any movement other than 'hammer curl' (neutral) i.e. thumb facing out or in causes a sharp pain at the wrist by my little finger.

i've currently got something on my wrist to prevent excess movement and to support it like a wrist brace.

1. what can i do to aid recovery?
2. what can i do to prevent/minimize recurrence?

alllow it to heal
get it 95 % bfore returning

Matt A. Windsor
09-18-2012, 06:19 AM
What he said. I personally have found that the whole 'active recovery' thing has worked for me - e.g., do an exercise that works the same muscles but doesn't require quite the same force to activate those muscles, such as ring pullups, rowing, etc.

But other than that, yeah, I've sprained that same muscle, and the only thing that truly helped it was rest, maybe take some amino acids and such to help speed the body's recovery process.

Austin Lieberman
09-18-2012, 09:35 AM
May be a good indea to invest in some wraps... I've had some pretty sore wrists lately so I just ordered some. Hope it helps!

Kenneth Cheung
09-18-2012, 11:28 PM
i've been taping my wrists with athletic tape for the last few days and using a support strap (in addition) during workouts.

it's certainly improved since i first got injured a week ago, but it's definitely still there.

the pain isn't muscular i'm definitely feeling it in an area with no muscle, so i can only guess its tendon or ligament.

i can't take ANY weight on my left hand, literally just trying to pick my mac book would cause pain.

i was removing a barbell from the rack and that really hurt.

i don't have any problems with pull ups so far, and i've been doing pushups on parallettes but i've avoided doing anything with dumbbells or barbells other than squats and deadlifts.

i'm really hankering to get back into doing thrusters and cleans though.

Tom Lau
10-23-2012, 01:47 PM
hmmm...I'm not a doctor but if it's what I have I feel sorry for you bud.

I have a ECU tendon dislocation. I've gotten an MRI and living with the injury for now. There's no real fix for me except for surgery and that'll put me out for 9 months-1 year.

I injured it playing golf but there's all kinds of ways you can injure it. It limits my lifts now from deads, to snatches to cleans. REALLY SUCKS

http://www.golfersavenue.com/dislocation-of-ecu-tendon-in-golfers.html

I would rest it completely if I were you so it doesn't get worse like mine case.

Blair Robert Lowe
10-29-2012, 05:32 AM
A sprain can vary in severity. I've been dealing with a double wrist sprain since late August for about 8 weeks. It's gotten to about 85% in the last week or two. Still hurts, but is manageable and good to go with my wannabee "voodoo" wraps (bike tube slit at the seams).

Early on, I did the voodoo wrap compression thing. That worked well for 2 or 3 weeks. Basically active recovery with it helped the most which was basically lots of wrist circles and as much weight bearing as I could handle.

This basically started with downward dog, then bear walks and crab walks which irritated and tasked it a lot more than the bear walks.

I tried to do some overhead bar work in those first 5 weeks and it was very hit and miss. Sometimes just bar only snatch and OHS was too much or holding it in a jerk grip. That seemed to bother it more than the Snatch grip but I found I couldn't Snatch Balance or Snatch to the hole because I'd be holding the bar too long.

I was able to press DB overhead to some degree but it got a bit weird for awhile. I could press 40lbs 10-15 times but if I tried the 45lb DB I had to put it down.

Some days I could set the bar in jerk grip and work jerk recoveries and add weight but I couldn't press or jerk from either rack position.

Eventually doing typical gymnastic wrist stretching is what gave me the most bang for my buck but my wrists had to heal up to the point that I could allow myself to put weight on them while being on all fours on my knees.

http://drillsandskills.com/stretching/General/gn008 wfs

Steven Mitchell
11-04-2012, 06:55 PM
I just started having this problem today. I was doing some overhead squats with the bar to warm up for the wod. While holding the bar overhead I am getting a sharp pain on the palm side of my left wrist, right where it joins the hand, in the center. It was pretty painful so I sub'd with some back squats instead. I did pullups and dips on some bars just fine. It's only the overheads that are causing the pain.

Blair Robert Lowe
11-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Sounds like you need to stretch out your wrist more with those stretches.