PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back Pain When Running Since I Started Crossfit

Laura Rose Lieberman
09-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Hello! Thank you for reading/responding to my post. I began CrossFit in March of 2012. I love it. Prior to crossfit I did yoga and ran about 3 times a week , five miles each time. Since I started crossfit, I'm unable to run more than a couple of minutes without this serious tightness and pain forming at the base of my back right above my tailbone. My coaches say it's that I'm not pose running but I never pose ran before and was always fine...until I started crossfit! thought I love crossfit, I also love to run - for my mind as well as my body and so I'm really missing it. I stretch a lot before all workouts and still do yoga once or twice a week. Why can't I run? Any thoughts?

Joey Dussel
09-10-2012, 04:05 PM
I would look at your psoas. I've never heard of those symptoms before but the area you describe the pain would be right for a tight psoas. Check out the "Thomas Test" and see if your psoas' are tight.

Just a tip...

Nicholas Wheeler
09-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Laura I experienced the exact same thing, I know I experience a really tight psoas all the time some days, but it's exacerbated when I do start out on a run. I don't know the solution, but I do know that I keep a lacrosse ball with me everywhere to roll it out

Sam Bridgewater
09-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Hello! Thank you for reading/responding to my post. I began CrossFit in March of 2012. I love it. Prior to crossfit I did yoga and ran about 3 times a week , five miles each time. Since I started crossfit, I'm unable to run more than a couple of minutes without this serious tightness and pain forming at the base of my back right above my tailbone. My coaches say it's that I'm not pose running but I never pose ran before and was always fine...until I started crossfit! thought I love crossfit, I also love to run - for my mind as well as my body and so I'm really missing it. I stretch a lot before all workouts and still do yoga once or twice a week. Why can't I run? Any thoughts?

It could be your bodies Taurine levels? Taurine is an abundant amino acid in your body that reduces with strenous exercise. Maybe in the past your body wasnt burning thru the natural levels you had in reserve but since starting crossfit and running it could be depleting levels? Signs of Low levels of taurine usually result in lower back pain and pumps or cramping.

Again this is just a theory and it could well be an injury or sore muscles but i would look into this.

Joey Dussel
09-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Laura I experienced the exact same thing, I know I experience a really tight psoas all the time some days, but it's exacerbated when I do start out on a run. I don't know the solution, but I do know that I keep a lacrosse ball with me everywhere to roll it out

Try using a softball or baseball and lying on the floor with the ball under your stomach. It's a little more..."dynamic" than a lacrosse ball haha