PDA

View Full Version : Pinched nerve, or something worse

Bradley James Thompson
09-08-2012, 01:23 PM
It happenedn when doing the bench press I think. Did it on Monday. Had some pain with movement of my neck. I assumed it was something like a pinched nerve. It wasn't completely better by Wednesday and I benched again. Now it's a lot worse, and it feels like it's in my traps, not so much my neck any more.

I don't have any bruising, and nothing is tender to any degree of touch as far as I can tell, but moving my neck or shoulders can create a lot of pain in the traps.

It's pretty persistent too. I took some percocet I had left over from a past surgery and that helped a lot, but the pain came right back afterwards.

I'm wondering what it could be.

Brian Strump
09-08-2012, 02:39 PM
<waving white flag>

Bradley James Thompson
09-08-2012, 05:03 PM
<waving white flag>

Thanks for the insight.

Brian Strump
09-08-2012, 05:11 PM
From my experience, someone who constantly is injuring different parts of their anatomy has some major flaws that's need to be corrected. Be it, balance, coordination, mobility, stability, etc.

Those are difficult to answer via this medium.

Someone may be able to shed some insight on this particular topic, however, if many of the other issues you've discussed on here are not corrected(I do not just mean pain free), then you may not find what's causing the majority of your pain.

I hope that was a more helpful reply.

Eric Shuty
09-08-2012, 05:44 PM
I can't tell you an exact diagnosis but I can 100% tell you not to tough it out and push through the workouts. Go see a doctor proficient in sports medicine. I tell you this because for a while several years ago I had similar recurring injuries. It felt like a nerve thing in my upper right or left back or even a pulled muscle in my neck/upper back that caused limited head movement but could be worked around if I really got warmed up. Lomng story short, I continued to push through each time it happened and then one day it came with a nifty little addition: nerve damage affecting my pressing strength (horizontal and vertical) in my left arm. I'd say it took about 30% of my pressing strength on that side. This resulted in 100lb decrease on my bench, etc. Anyways, its a year removed from that and I no longer have the pain related to it but I still haven't brought my pressing lifts back up to where they were.

So, if this doesn't sound like loads of fun to you I would get to a doctor quick. Make sure they don't blow you off and assume it's a pulled muscle because many family docs have limited experience with athletes and/or sports injuries.....

Bradley James Thompson
09-08-2012, 06:48 PM
From my experience, someone who constantly is injuring different parts of their anatomy has some major flaws that's need to be corrected. Be it, balance, coordination, mobility, stability, etc.

Those are difficult to answer via this medium.

Someone may be able to shed some insight on this particular topic, however, if many of the other issues you've discussed on here are not corrected(I do not just mean pain free), then you may not find what's causing the majority of your pain.

I hope that was a more helpful reply.

I'm not constantly injuring myself. The knee thing is simply a constant problem, not really a recurring injury. This back thing is the only other significant injury I've had. I think I just used too much weight to did one rep too many.