PDA

View Full Version : Bilateral Knee Replacement

Laura Bogardus
08-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Well, it has been 3 weeks and one day since my surgery. Yesterday, was my last home physical therapy session. My ROM in my left leg was 123 and it was 120 in my right leg. Next Thursday, I start out patient PT. I hope they let me have at least two weekly sessions for three weeks. I have no idea how this works. My goal is to get to ROM 145 in both legs and improve my standing leg curls. Can someone explain how the out patient PT works and what to expect? Thanks.

Laura Bogardus
08-30-2012, 05:42 PM
well it's 4 weeks ago today i had both knees replaced. today was my first out patient pt. i was hoping for more re: rom. but, it is what it is. left knee is 125 and right knee was still 120. i still have my goals of 145 for each. the pt person is being encouraging but, i guess patience is something i have to work on. well onward and upward. i think it's funny how so many of us are 54 when we had our knees replaced. what is that all about?

William Garrett
08-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Nice recovery. ROM can be very very frustrating at times. I had major knee injury back in 2009 and shattered my femur at the knee and was treated as a total knee replacement, long story short or broke one side of the femur at the knee joint. So the joint was split in half.....

I lost ALL ROM with my injury etc....it just takes time. I was stuck below 108 degrees for close to 4 months then finally broke thru the barrier into the 120's. I was told I would never be able to go past 90 initially. 3 years later I have full ROM....

My biggest suggesting is just keep on staying positive, keep doing daily ROM exercises, biking, wall slides, etc.....dont just do them at PT, that is what separates the regular people from the normal people when it comes to recovery.

Good Luck again, your doing awesome. Im 34 btw.

Laura Bogardus
09-03-2012, 12:34 PM
That is a lot to contend with. I'm doing as you say, PT every day, actually 3x a day and icing after each session. I have my up and down moments. Right now, I'm feeling pretty good about it. And I can feel my knees are getting more stable and not moving around so much due to the new exercises they gave me. Looking forward to tomorrow's out patient PT session. Thanks for the encouragement. Congratulations for your full ROM, it's inspiring.

Pete Nadeau
09-03-2012, 11:42 PM
I'm 5 months + 2 days post op TKA. My knee feels exceptionally good now. Do your PT every day and ice, you will have good and bad days I sure did. I had those odd feelings also: instability, coordination issues and just feeling weird, (I still can't explain them) wiil pass. Now I have slight aches from time to time, rest and ice is the way to go.

"i think it's funny how so many of us are 54 when we had our knees replaced. what is that all about?"
Good question Laura, I'm 54

Laura Bogardus
09-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks Pete! Today was a very good day. At out patient PT my ROM was 138 in both legs. wooo hooo! I feel very blessed. Still aiming for 145. And yes, rice is my friend. :pepper:

Greg Griffith
09-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Laura,

Just curious about you having bilateral TKR. Why did you decide to have both knees replaced at the same time? You are sure doing quite well very soon.

It appears to me that most people do one knee at a time. So you may be the poster child for the option of doing both knees and getting the deal done.

My doctor didn't like that option. Not even a little bit.

Keep up the good work.

Laura Bogardus
09-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi Greg,

My surgeon would only do it if I was fit and both legs were eligible/in need of the surgery. He emphasized getting upper body strength. I was fit due to crossfit, hot yoga, and cycling. I had advanced stage osteoarthritus in my right leg back in 2004 and had the scope surgery. (That ended my ultramarthon running which I had only done for 4 years. I really stopped almost all my running within a year from then.) Then my left leg just went crazy. My left leg was at stage 2 or 3 back in 2004. I have a high pain tolerance and my body would adapt to limping which I guess makes it easier to continue working out. By 2011, I was bone on bone on two sides of my left knee. So, now both legs were not working properly. So, here are two of the reasons I did this surgery.

1. I couldn't hike down hill w/o severe pain. I couldn't go on long walks or hikes anymore. But, I still worked out, just mostly in confined spaces, except when I went on a bike ride. I like being outside as well as inside.

2. My mom has dementia and my dad needs my help. To do that I use FMLA time. So, I need to have enough time on the books at work to help me and my family. It's better to go into your accruals one time for surgery so you can heal one time and still help out at home once you finish healing. Then you don't use up all your time and are still eligible for FMLA.

There's more reasons, but those are the two important ones. It's been hard not being available to my folks through this healing time. But, I'll be back to help.

As for the recovery, while I'm still not stable on my legs and have not tried to really sit on my knees since the surgery (not suppose to do this for first 6 weeks), I think like everyone else, scar tissue builds differently in the legs and the amount of moving around you do which should be little during the first 6 weeks has something to do with it. I mostly do only what they say for PT. My husband does all the work around the house, sets me up for icing, the cpm (which I no longer do), cooks. He does it all so I just focus on healing. I am blessed to have him looking out for me. Sorry for the long winded information.

Karen Hayes
09-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Hi Laura-
One of my least favorite things to do is WAIT and be patient but, with knee replacements you must be. I had my right knee replaced in February and just today I achieved full depth in a squat. I tried to do everything too fast at first and it just made my knee swell up, NOT what we want. If you just keep exercising and going to crossfit and doing what you can there, the ROM will come. I notice it improving every month a little at a time.
The first weeks and months back I would do all the workouts but I had to accept that when I did a front squat (or any squat) I did it with less weight and, for a LONG while, I did it without full depth. Just dialing in the technique and really working on form seems to help with the ROM.
I can even run the 400 and 200's when it is called for (no real swelling when I do) but this all took time.

So, this is a long winded way of saying that you are on the right path. It just is a bit longer than any of us would like :)

Laura Bogardus
09-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Hi Karen,

I'm taking the advice on waiting. I am focusing only on PT especially after seeing my surgeon last Thursday. He's happy with my progress, and wants me to just focus on the PT for the first 8 weeks which I am doing. But, I will say that I had a great out patient PT session today. My left leg now has a ROM of 142. Whereas, my right leg stayed at 138. So, I'm happy with the progress just need to keep on doing the same thing for a little more over two to three weeks. Then I will gradually start working out for exercise. Oh, but, I think I'll get in the water next week and walk which I was told today I can do as much as I want. Thanks for your advice and letting me see the light further down the tunnel.

Laura Bogardus
10-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Well yesterday, 10/4/12, was 9 weeks since my bilateral TKR. Last week, I was at 145 after working out in both legs at my out patient PT class. Now, I'm trying to focus more on getting weakness out of my knees and get stronger all over. So, Starting on 10/2/12, I started going back to crossfit and do the warm up and realized I should incorporate some of the PT moves. I also started back at hot yoga, but just did some of the moves (it was not pretty) and I'm trying to stay in the heated room. I'm hoping that my next PT session on Monday shows improvement in the strength and balance departments. For me this is has been slow going. So, I'll have to see what's ahead and how I feel in a few weeks with PT is over. Still have numbness and stuff running through my knees which doesn't feel too good. But, that should eventually stop I'm told.

Today, I did 2 rounds of: 500m row, 20 push ups, 50 situps, 10 dips with blue band, 30 right then left leg dips from 12inch box to floor (broke into 2 sets of 15), then 20 right then left step ups on 12 inch box, then 5 step up and over right then left leg off a 12 inch box, 15@ 25lb push presses, 15 green band pull ups, 30 air squats to 18 inch box. After that then 5 minutes on stationary bike then a stretching cool down. That pooped me out and was hard for me. I will try this a few more times before changing anything except the row. My other goal is to get through these moves a little faster than what it's taking me. It takes forever!!! Skipped my walk today.

Laura Bogardus
10-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Went to out patient PT today and workout was still tough when it comes to slowing the speed and knee position when I step off of the platform. But, it is improving. I need to work on this at crossfit. My ROM after PT was 145-left leg and 146-right leg. Decided to get a massage to help work out scar tissue and muscle tightness. oooooooh mama! loved it. I'm definitely going back. I've had numbness still in center bottom of right foot which needed attention from someone more than me.

Did a morning walk, before out patient PT. But, still walking slow. People talking on the phone are moving much faster than me. But, I guess walking will get better. Can anyone sit on their feet? Even though I have good ROM, I haven't been able to sit on my feet. I'm working towards that, maybe in a month or two or even longer. I'm afraid to force it. Patience.

Laura Bogardus
08-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Well, I just passed the one year anniversary of my bilateral knee replacement surgery. Plus points: I can kneel, but not too long. ROM is 145 both legs, but need to loosen up some. I can Nordic or regular walk, do modified crossfit, yoga and cycle. Flexibility continues to improve. What I did not realize is that with a knee replacement you must work out in order to reduce the stiffness in your knees. Minus points: still cannot sit on feet. Knees still are achy when I squat. Still have to ice if I work out a lot (i.e. crossfit, then yoga or walking). Also, I get pains across the knees like they are trying to wake up by sticking little pins all over at one time. Doesn't last long, but it happens. Other than that, I now do not limp and I can hike up and down hills-I use poles. Before surgery, I could not hike down without excruciating pain. Oh, and I am now trying not to be so fearful of doing movements in yoga. That's a little more challenging for me, because some of it is in my head and I know it. But, I'm not always sure when I'm being overly cautious versus not careful. It's important to check with your PT person on flexibility moves involving knees in case it is positioning that will cause problems for your new metal parts.

Laura Bogardus
03-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Well it's been just over 19 months since my surgery. So, I decided to try workout 14.1 in the masters division for those of us age 55-59. It was really tough trying to do double unders. I'm hoping that's all of them for the open. I'm very blessed and happy to have gotten through that. Jumping is challenging for me. Still not doing box jumps. Completed 180 reps of 14.1. Hope I can do the movements for 14.2 whatever that may be. Good luck to all who participate. Remember to have fun with it.

Karen Hayes
03-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Hi Laura-
I also did 14.1 24 months post op. I had never done DU's before so I was frantically trying to get them from Friday to Sunday morning. My legs and knee are fried right now :(. I am having a difficult time even jumping at the moment. I was curious if you are feeling discomfort in your knees. (I only had the one).
I am a bit discouraged because I can't replicate the DU's I accomplished for the workout. I am hoping that my legs are just having a hard time recovering (cuz I'm 57) :)
Thank you! AND, congrats on the workout results. That is awesome!

Laura Bogardus
03-07-2014, 11:33 PM
Hi Karen,

I rarely do DUs because of the reason you mentioned. Yes, my knees were both pretty fried after attempting them even if it's just like 10 to 20 of them. I think it's because of the positioning of the body weight coming down (pounding) on where the metal goes into the leg bones. Not having any medical training, of course, I do not really know why or what really happens. In the recent past it has taken at least a week to recover. This last time it took less time, but I had to be careful because I could feel it when I bent my knees or tried to do anything like go up and down stairs or just exercise. I also think it happens because it takes a lot longer than we think to build the tendons or whatever is on the sides of our knees. I know it gets a little better. But, at only 19 months out, I have no idea if it really gets much better. One PT I saw gave me some exercises to do to build that part up when I was experiencing some real sharp knee pain. It worked. But, I stopped because I wanted that time back. But, I plan to do them again because I could feel the difference. Also, what I think made it not last so long this time was stretching, vinyasa yoga and cycling pretty much right after I did the movement. (But, it was hard to do this.) I also try to do yin yoga which is holding poses for 3 to 5 minutes. It's for the joints and ligaments. And of course icing is important because some of the pain I believe is new inflammation from the pounding. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck with 14.2. I'm happy for the jumping pull-ups, since I can't figure out pull-ups. I plan to do it tomorrow.

Karen Hayes
03-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Thank you for the information. It seems that I get a little soreness and stiffness no matter what I do :)
Ran today for the first time in a few months. I guess I'll have to wake up and see how it feels.
Good luck with the jumping chest to bar pull ups. It definitely is a different movement than I am used to.
Have fun and thank you again,
Karen

Laura Bogardus
03-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi Karen,

You're very welcome. I really think the amount of time it takes to heal is longer as long as we continue to push to improve. I feel the achy soreness too. Sometimes not so much. Well 14.2 crushed me. I tried it twice! First time was 37, then today was 58. In my mind and apparently my dreams, I could do much more. But, in reality, it is what it is. The little improvement was due to thinking a little more where my feet were so I could be closer to the bar. I actually jumped more than I scored and at times I jumped high enough for it to be chest worthy. But, I couldn't get to the bar. What'd up with that??? When I first tried this, it definitely did not feel good on the knees. But, it got better. Must have been the landing. I was thinking the OHS would be the problem, they weren't. Good luck to you and all who participate! Be careful, be strong, be you!

Laura Bogardus
03-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Did 14.3 twice. First time my reps were 120; the second time my reps were 136. I'm happy I did it twice. I did the "no collar" both times and had my weights ready so that all I did was add on, no taking off then putting on. (My friends at the box, knew what they were talking about and gave me this excellent tip.) But, what helped increase my reps the second go around I think was changing my thinking for me, "it's 8 minutes so go all out." The first time I was pacing myself a tiny bit so I could have energy for the big weights. Also, when you have to pick it up twice then drop the weight and then step back. Instead, just pick it up once and drop it. And keep going with that. Try not to step back too much; chase the bar and pick it up and drop it. Remember with 8 minutes, it's almost over. Also, I was afraid of doing 14.3 two days in a row. But, I didn't feel it so much until after the second time. After 14.3 then helping out at my folks, I slept for a few hours. I just got up a few minutes ago. While, I wasn't quite sure about 14.3 and my knees, I did what I could and am happy with the results. Of course I wanted higher numbers. I'll have to see if my knees can handle more weight in the future; but I must be careful. Good luck with 14.3 and have fun.

Laura Bogardus
03-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Oh my!! After today, I sure want to do 14.4 over! But, no time for that. So, I'll take the 113. I was just slow on the row and those T2Bs. Next year will be different. It was still exhilarating and fun. And without having Andy keeping me posted on my count and the time, I would not have even finished the T2Bs. Thank you Andy!! The most surprising thing for me is that I was able to drop from the bar to the floor and it did not hurt. And I can walk upright!! For me this is a big deal. I'll be excited when I can actually jump up to the bar from the ground. And I feel it coming soon. Have fun with this one. I hope they have it next year and I intend with a couple of other folks to put it away!!! :)

Laura Bogardus
03-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Well did 14.5 on Saturday. I cannot believe I was able to do all the jumps. (slow, but finished) It was my very first time jumping over a bar since surgery. Fear had the best of me beforehand, but thanks to God and my amazing friends who helped me out, another wod bites the dust! Oh yah baby!! Okay, yes I want to do it over because my competitive nature is that I want to try and be in the top 200 for my age division. But, tonight, I'm thinking, maybe next year I'll try. Have fun with this one, it's great!!! And even with bilateral TKE--participated with all WODs. Yahooey!:kicking0:

Karen Hayes
03-31-2014, 06:38 PM
Congratulations!! I was psyched to jump over the bar too. I had avoided doing this for 2 years. Next year we will be in the top 200! We start training tomorrow :)

Laura Bogardus
03-31-2014, 09:45 PM
Congratulations to you too Karen. It's on! Next year here we come!!!

Laura Bogardus
04-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Well, turns out that I was number 199 in my division. Then I saw the qualifying work outs!!! Jeepers creepers!!!! Really! Okay, can't do a handstand push and my pullups (they suck air) well let me just say I started out with doing event #4. It took me 36:27 because I need to really get those pullups down. It took me so long that wall balls were not an obstacle. I just ran through those. Oh well, it's all about setting bench marks and aiming for the top 100 next year! My hands are totally ripped. They ache like all get out. This was a really nice thing--the open and the qualifyier. I enjoyed it and my knees are just coming along fine. I plan to do event 1 tomorrow and then I'll see if I can do event 3 on Monday. I need to see if I can do the snatch and what do you know---chest to bar pullups! Go MASTERS!!!! Have fun!

Laura Bogardus
04-19-2014, 09:25 PM
Well did the max clean today after taking an Olympic lifting class. Only was able to clean 110. Then I tried to do snatches. Um that did not go to well when it came to the squat. I could snatch 55 lbs but my squat was just not low enough so I've decided that trying to increase the weight to 65 and the squat are not for me this go around. I don't want to risk injury especially with my knees. So, I will have only completed two of the qualifying events. But, I did discover I actually enjoyed doing those two strength movements. So, now I need to practice for next year. Good luck to all the Master competitors!!

Karen Hayes
04-20-2014, 05:56 PM
First, congrats on 199!!!! That is awesome!:pepper:
Smart move with the snatches! Next year!!!

Laura Bogardus
04-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Thanks Karen! Next year, look out, we'll be taking it further! How are your knees from the double-unders?

Laura Bogardus
01-13-2015, 03:08 PM
It's been 2 years and 6 months and about 11 days since my surgery. I feel blessed that in today's WOD I could do the double unders and still be able to work out and walk around after all is said and done. The WOD was 21-15-12-9-6-3 push ups and jumping squats with 20 DU's after each round. Oh what a feeling!!! ;)

Laura Bogardus
01-22-2015, 11:28 PM
Today was the first time after my surgery in August 2012 that I actually tried to complete box jumps in a workout. I used a 15 inch box. The workout was 100 DUs, 25 box jumps, 50 DUs, 25 box jumps, 25 DUs, 25 box jumps. My time was slower than expected, but none the less made me so very happy. Double unders and box jumps in one workout and I can walk straight!! Now if I can get the 20 inch box jump down, I'll be cooking with oil. Feeling totally blessed!:)

Karen Hayes
01-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Congratulations!!!!
Do you do any running? Curious how it feels.
I was running and it was actually fine but my other knee started to go and I wanted to slow the process down so I stopped running. I'm not in a hurry to get the surgery on the other knee :)

Laura Bogardus
01-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Hi Karen,

I wouldn't call it running. But, I try to do the runs in the wods. For me it's a combination run/walk; it doesn't feel like true running. The last time there was an 800m run in one of the rounds and I ran about 80% of it. But, it doesn't look or feel like true running as before. But, it has improved. Do, be careful. How is it going with the replacement and doing the wods? Oh, and I should mention that I've been doing more nordic walking with poles so I can enjoy being outside while burning a good amount of calories. Take care Karen.

Laura Bogardus
03-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Well with my shoulder issue, looks like the 2015 open will not be in the cards for me. I tried to do an air snatch the other day and I heard and felt my shoulder pop. So, I started thinking, maybe it's better and I can compete. I even took an arm balance class hoping to stretch it out. Oh well, in certain positions, it just aches and I have to be careful and slower to put it in position to complete certain moves. So, I think it's a no go for now. Good luck to all who compete.

Laura Bogardus
04-28-2015, 10:04 PM
This past Monday was my first time since the surgery doing lateral burpees over a weight bar. For me this is harder especially in my mind. It just keeps getting better and better. I feel blessed to accomplish this. :)

Laura Bogardus
10-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Tuesday night, I actually did my first 18 inch box jump!! Moving from 15 to 18 was a big deal for me and I could actually feel the difference in the bend of my knee because it changes the range of motion the more you bring your feet closer to your backside. Not sure, but hoping by the end of the year I can get to 20 inches. It'll come when it comes. That's my stopping point---maybe!;)

Laura Bogardus
11-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Yahoo! First time doing an entire WOD with the 18 inch box jump. It was Betty the 5 rounds of push press and box jumps. I took my time to be careful. Happy!:) ---Who knows, I may see 20 by the end of January if not sooner!

I still cannot believe it's been 3 years and 4 months since the surgery. Seems like it was just yesterday in time, but a much longer time since all the pain. Very happy!

Laura Bogardus
02-28-2016, 11:21 PM
This year, I really wanted to compete in the masters RX, but, my shoulder is still talking back to me. I'm not lifting much over my head. So, I was at first not going to participate in the open. But, I decided, why make it an all or nothing kind of thing. I am where I am, so, tomorrow morning, I plan to do it scaled. From looking at the scaled events from last year, I think I may still run into the same problem. But, that's okay. I enjoy working out hard. I just need to be safe about it. And remember, it's really fun! So, ready or not 16.1 scaled, ready set go--that is tomorrow. :run: Good luck everyone and have fun!

Laura Bogardus
02-29-2016, 11:21 AM
Oh my word!! Masters SCALED--kicked my tail! Those lunges and then burpees and lunges then trying to jump up for the pull ups. I tell you I am humbled. This was no joke, but still very fun!!! I was able to get 241. I'm happy! I'd try again, but no time and my legs are shot. Hey but, my knees are just fine!!!:pepper:

Karen Hayes
02-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Nice job Laura!! I also did scaled. My other knee needs to be replaced and I am in no hurry to get it done.
Something I realized, even doing the scale ,is that I am still favoring my replaced knee. I am definitely not as strong on that side. Time to do some weighted step ups to strengthen that side!! :) :)

Laura Bogardus
02-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Wow and thanks Karen. Please keep me posted as to when you do get it replaced. I understand about not hurrying. Be safe and careful. So, you know I'm curious about the weighted step ups. Do you wear it or hold it and how? How much? Take good care.:thanx:

Karen Hayes
02-29-2016, 04:45 PM
A weighted step up, at least at Crossfit New England, has you holding a dumbbell in each hand and stepping up on to the 20 in box. Adjust the weights as you get stronger. :)

Laura Bogardus
03-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Thanks Karen! Just did 16.2. Stopped at the 105 #. Too afraid to even attempt it due to my shoulder. I really wanted to try one, not worth the potential pull. The weight is also probably to heavy for me right now. But, loved the wod. My advice is have someone change the weights for you. That worked great for me. I'm thankful for the help. And just keep going. Not sure, but may do over. You're gonna love this wod. Oh and break up the sit-up rhythm in your head and go faster. Have fun! :)

Karen Hayes
03-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Hi Laura-
I'm one and done too. I did it scaled and got 5 reps shy of finishing. Those 105 squat cleans were doable but tough!!
Next year, we both get our ducks in a row (for me better at DU's and TTB), get healthy, and attack the Opens RX.
Good luck with the next 3!!!!!

Laura Bogardus
03-06-2016, 10:58 PM
That's wonderful Karen! While, my shoulder feels better now. It's that wanting to do something that I'm not ready for that gets me into trouble for an extended period of time. Yes, next year is our year. Because of a buddy, I finally have my own rope. So, I'm going to work on those double unders with you. Let's finish this year strong and enjoy what we can do. Next year----watch out open cause Karen and I are taking it up a notch or two!! Good luck to you for the remaining wods. And good luck and have fun to all those participating in the open!:pepper:

Laura Bogardus
03-06-2016, 11:12 PM
That's wonderful Karen! While, my shoulder feels better now. It's that wanting to do something that I'm not ready for that gets me into trouble for an extended period of time. Yes, next year is our year. Because of a buddy, I finally have my own rope. So, I'm going to work on those double unders with you. Let's finish this year strong and enjoy what we can do. Next year----watch out open cause Karen and I are taking it up a notch or two!! Good luck to you for the remaining wods. And good luck and have fun to all those participating in the open!:pepper:

Laura Bogardus
03-18-2016, 03:01 PM
16.3 was challenging with the snatches for me. I feel blessed to have gotten the rounds I did. I suck at chest to bar jumping pull ups. As for today 16.4, rowing and wall balls and then push press---oh boy! Not gonna do that over. Do overs are kind of out of the question for me nowadays. It was challenging and yes, I loved it! Glad, I'm done. Looking forward to 16.5! Bring it! :kicking0:

Laura Bogardus
03-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Feeling blessed! After 90 -- 18 inch box jumps in the wod today, I tried and completed about five 20 inch box jumps. Wow!!! I will incorporate them in my practice before I cut loose on them in a wod. I'm happy, happy, happy! Springing into action :kicking0:

Laura Bogardus
03-28-2016, 11:50 AM
16.5 done!!!! Well this was a BIG blessing. In 2014, I did this and it wasn't too pretty since my new knees were about 19 months old. But, today, I think close to six minutes faster!!!! 15:07 :kicking0: Feeling blessed and fit! :) Next year looking forward to better shoulder mobility so I can go RX!!! Watch out 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope everyone had fun with the open.